It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: UP 4014 / 844 schedule released.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:24 pm 

Kelly Anderson wrote:
When #1223 and #7002 were still in service, I was always ammused to regularly hear from the people who walk up before train time and tell me that their grandfather ran that exact engine every day for fifty years!!

And unsually on the 20th Century Limited to boot.

I'd get a good variation of this working the streetcars: people who would insist that they remember riding the cars in the mid to late 60s, even though streetcar service in Dallas ended in '56 and didn't start again until '89.

To go back on topic, I look forward to seeing the videos and photos of 4014 in action. However, I'd be hard pressed to spend my vacation time and money to go out to what will probably be one of the most crowded railroad events in the US in this century to try to chase a train in unfamiliar territory. The UP runs through Dallas and they've overnighted business trains here before; I'll wait to see if they bring it to me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:43 pm 

Zak Lybrand wrote:
However, I'd be hard pressed to spend my vacation time and money to go out to what will probably be one of the most crowded railroad events in the US in this century to try to chase a train in unfamiliar territory.

Amen to that. Besides, Strasburg and the Fire Up 611 crew are announcing something tomorrow, closer to home that I'll gladly spend my money on instead... :D

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:01 pm 

I read this announcement at work this morning when I logged in to the company computer. I am surprised. I didn't realize it was so close to being ready.

Reading the story, I expected them to say "it was going to steam from Cheyenne to Ogden...." or something else that would indicate it was going under it's own power.

It doesn't use those words. I about half expected them to tow it or something.

EDIT: Well, I went and watched the latest update on youtube. I'd say it'll be moving under it's own power.

I am of the opinion that CNC machining is their saving grace... that and someone who can program the tool path. The good fortune of having the builders drawing of all components, coupled with CNC machinery lets them reproduce parts that would otherwise be unobtainable, allows them to make any intricate part. Great job.

Last edited by Bad Order on Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:27 am 

Huge project, so some setbacks are to be expected.

I'm betting it'll get out under its own power before too long and I
intend to see it and hopefully take my young grandson along.
I can wait some.