It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: N&W 611 To Visit Strasburg RR via NS in Sept./Oct
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:19 pm 

What was the recent rebuild at NCTM? Wasn’t that the closest she’s had since the 2015 season?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:31 pm 

ATK wrote:
hamster wrote:
I know that it has been FAR less than 15 years since its last 1472.

The rebuild work that was done from 2014 - 2015 was not a 1472 day inspection? I guess I assumed that it was.

Prior to its return to operation in 2015 the 611 was last operated in 1994 and was considered retired. CFR49 Part 230 is very specific about returning a retired locomotive to service. So, yes, the 2015 return to service was indeed a 1472 day inspection.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:18 am 

Tickets are selling out already in one day. Looks like a great move for everyone involved. I've got my tickets for some of the Lerro Charters and looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:37 pm 

So much for “railfans are cheap” - all of the 611 cab experiences, and all of the Lerro Photo sunrise / sunset events appear to have sold out already. I’m guessing more events may be added on some of the weekdays?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:20 pm 

Where will she be kept? Will they take her across the street for some photos with the rotting pennsy steam? Also, is she too long to be turned on the RRMPA turntable?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:45 pm 

I was surprised the museum wasn’t involved at all in the event. I would think they were given the opportunity to take part in the event in some official way.

It’s possible part of the night photo shoot will take place there, although that hasn’t been mentioned at all.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:28 pm 

RRMPA turntable is 100 feet; J has wheelbase just under 96 feet.

Turntable had been installed at Bridgeport PA on RDG specifically to turn T-1's in Bpt-Port Reading coal service. RDG T-1 wheelbase is a little longer than a J. However a J is a good bit heavier than a T-1.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:03 am 

Hello,

To begin and be frank, this is an event I would have never suspected could occur. Kudos to the Strasburg, VM of T, NS and Amtrak for developing and arranging this event!

In an era with the all inclusive pressures of running a railroad and limited mainline steam use, especially on the liability front, there still are some pretty amazing accomplishments being achieved......765 running over the curve, a Big Boy restoration finishing this year, and now this. We all need to be grateful the spirit and will is still alive. It's also interesting the Strasburg shops have done a lot of machine work for these large locomotives to make there operations successful.

The cab experience is reasonable for what you get. Us not having the privilege of being involved with a steam railroad could get exposure to an extemely unique experience.. the one and only time I was close was so many years ago through the kindness and invitation of a member of this forum I sat in the engineers seat of the 1361 under steam for an overnight hostle in Altoona Although stationary, it was pretty ominous and almost terrifying to have that much machinery in front of you and with such limited visibility. Looks like these slots are filling fast, hopefully I can buy a seat in the future if it's offered again.

One of the questions which comes to mind is how they will get the 611 up there? I recalled years ago concerns of clearance restrictions on the old N&W line into Hagerstown. Is that no longer an issue? I thought the culprit with the 611 alligator cross head guide brackets?

The general public may know little in the details of steam locomotives but walking up to and seeing 611's Timken roller rods up close has to make an impression......it's a substantial mass of rotating machinery!

If my life can settle down, I'd like to get up in October and support the event with a ride. Looks like tickets are going fast!

This event needs supported so it can potentially continue in the future.....hope it sells out. Best wishes to the Strasburg and VMofT on their success!

Sincerely,

Randy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:16 am 

Hello,

As a humorous digress and to not hijack this thread to the railfanning segment, wouldn't it be interesting if the NS could get a little PR by putting the 611 on the lead of a northbound stack train from Hagerstown to Harrisburg as part of the move?

Channeling a the UP a bit when they did this with the 3985.......

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XhgHrDbN4EU

Combining the modern freight era with their heritage power, very unique....and put some load on the 611 at speed.

Enough of the silliness.... ;-)

Sincerely,

Randy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:15 am 

I would love to see 611 take the long way back via Horseshoe Curve. Robert Claytor had a dream of acquiring Conrail when he was NS CEO. In an interview he gave back in the mid 1980’s, he promised if NS ever got Conrail, 611 would one day power an excursion train around Horseshoe Curve.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:24 pm 

EJ Berry wrote:
I don't believe that the museum's turntable has been operable for some time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:40 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Kelly Anderson wrote:
EJ Berry wrote:
I don't believe that the museum's turntable has been operable for some time.

Quick! Kickstarter/GoFundMe fundraiser! <:-D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:39 pm 

When they get the roundhouse built they'll need the turntable to get the Pennsy engines in. Of course you can tow it around with a loader.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:16 pm 

This was posted 15 minutes ago on Strasburg's Facebook page:

"Strasburg Rail Road and the Virginia Museum of Transportation are thrilled to announce MORE opportunities to experience the iconic N&W Class J 611 locomotive along with the circa 1906 Class M 475. Families, railfans, and photographers will have additional dates and times to enjoy these two locomotives up close and in operation.

Expanded opportunities and related tickets will be unveiled at 2:00 PM on Friday, March 29. These include excursions behind 611, behind-the-scenes tours, and whistle blowing on Sept 27, Sept 30, and Oct 4; railfan photography sessions on Oct. 7; and the popular in-cab experiences on Oct 26 & 27.

Look for these new opportunities to be added to existing options at 2:00 PM on Friday!

www.strasburgrailroad.com"

If you missed out the first time to get tickets, now you have a second chance! Looks like the first four weekends were extremely popular...

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:11 pm 

It's great to see this event is already proving popular and successful. The opportunity to see #611 and #475 together is certainly something I would have never expected to happen.

I've already got my tickets on the 2 sunrise Lerro events, I'll probably grab a sunset on Monday as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next