It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Raton Pass update and surviving semaphores.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:24 am 

I took a trip to the Raton Pass line last week and wanted to post some updates. There are 47 semaphores still standing. All were operational with the exception of one at Levy siding. The wind blew a telephone pole towards the tracks and the wires were keeping the semaphore arm from moving upward. Just south of Levy siding another semaphore arm was nearly bent in half from the high wind. This was the same semaphore a few months earlier that had it's wood arm blown off.

Much work was going on as Congress made it mandatory to spend at least 50 million on the line in the budget conditions. There was tie, ballast, and rock trains in nearly every siding. Looks like all the jointed rail was getting replaced from Colmor siding to North Wagon Mound siding. This would give the line welded rail from Colmor all the way to Watrous. Extensive tie replacement was obvious. There was also work being done to washed out drainage passages with new boulders. This is the most work I have seen in the last 10 years and the only time I have seen any freight cars on this line.

Someone finally painted many semaphore blades and even some of the stands from Chapelle to Ojita. They looked great with a fresh coat of paint. I would suspect the semaphores from Las Vegas to Bernal will be around for quite a while. The others from Colmor to Wagon Mound would probably be the first to go as the BN already had stands and wires in place to replace them. I would also not be surprised if Levy or Wagon Mound sidings are removed as Colmor siding is not that far away.

The Wig Wag at Delhi, Colorado was still there and operational. The old Santa Fe cantilever signal bridges are still standing going up Raton Pass. I would upload photos but I can never get photos uploaded in here.

Post subject: Re: Raton Pass update and surviving semaphores.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:10 am 

I must have missed it, but when did Congress mandate repairs to the Raton Pass line? I think it's great that they did, as it's a favorite and certainly highly scenic. Ned

Post subject: Re: Raton Pass update and surviving semaphores.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:22 pm 

Great to hear this news. Everytime I have ridden that line I've said to myself "this may be the last chance to see these Semaphores" - glad to know they are still alive and well. I need to take a ride out there again this year.