It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: 643 for sale on eBay?
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:21 am 

Re Glen(n) Campbell:
There are several possible publicly familiar options, though I doubt the singer Glenn Campbell in New Zealand would have taken an interest in this locomotive.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Campbell_(disambiguation)

Also there is a borough in nearby Indiana County, PA of this name.

The Wikipedia entry for that town mentioned a visit by an academic of the name Glen Campbell.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:40 am 

There is no mention of a sale on the locomotive's facebook page. The last post was May 6th and mentions Glenn and others doing some cleanup around the site.

https://www.facebook.com/BessemerLakeErie643/

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:25 pm 

Looking at the Facebook page, for the first time I see that an Alco S2 or S4 is in the same vicinity. I know that the connection to CSX has been removed but is the Alco on that same stub siding as B&LE 643?

Les

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:05 pm 

There's also an auxiliary water car there too.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:31 pm 

Notice how in the ad it has the list price and obo, Or Best Offer without a reserve price listed. If this is indeed a legit ad, I'm sure a deal could be had for less.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:40 pm 

If this listing is true, I hope that it can be moved out of there! If #643 is scrapped it would leave #154 at Henry Ford Museum as the only surviving B&LE steam locomotive.

I have attached some Google aerial photos of the site to give interested parties (if #643 is really for sale) an idea of the expected moving challenge/headache. (Coordinates are: 40.47093, -80.05708).

I do not think it could be moved out by rail. I have never personally ventured to that section of Pittsburgh, but is my understanding that years after CSX pulled the switch to the property the nearby mainline trackage was re-engineered and raised a number of feet. So even the idea of placing a temporary switch could prove to be unfeasible or futile.

The general Pittsburgh area has no other "preserved" steam locomotives, so I hope that a local group can be found to take it. This would look good as a display outside the Carnegie Science Center, Heinz History Center, Station Square (although some radical redevelopment is occurring but the developers seem to be interested in the railroad history), or even on one of the disused tracks in what Pittsburgh calls an Amtrak station (sorry, but that was the worst one I have had the "privilege" to travel thru).

It is too bad the late Jerry Jacobson was not able to purchase this locomotive....

Attachments:
ble3.JPG
ble3.JPG [ 188.25 KiB | Viewed 69837 times ]
ble1.JPG
ble1.JPG [ 194.56 KiB | Viewed 69837 times ]
ble.JPG
ble.JPG [ 230.52 KiB | Viewed 69837 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:21 pm 

This came up awhile back on the Railfanning board in a rather lengthy discussion, much of which was removed. The idea was that the track could be extended from the end of the building (which was the original track that the switch came off of) to where the locomotive is now. With some juggling around, the 643 could be moved onto the track, hauled north to the industrial area where it could loop around and over the CSX on the bridge pictured.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:48 pm 

The listing on eBay just recently ended. It'll probably be re-listed soon.

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:50 pm 

Unless Glenn Campbell has had a miraculous recovery from the looney tunes universe he .

inhabited no one is going to come within miles of what he thinks this derelict is worth. When I tried to encourage some reality in him he was in 7 figures. Looney tunes for sure.

I would guess cut up in place at todays scrap steel prices she'd bring somewhere around $ 50K plus or minus. Less if there's still asbestos needing to be handled.

Sad but true. Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:52 pm 

tweetsie12 wrote:
The listing on eBay just recently ended. It'll probably be re-listed soon.

Maybe AOS clicked "Buy it now".

Or maybe it was a joke / prank / whatever.

I'd say the smart money's on option 2.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:30 pm 

Could be the owner got wind of all the hell everyone raised over the CPR mike being almost broken up? Maybe he's hoping someone will make a reasonable deal for the 643? I'm not much for BL&E, but would love to see the N&W water tender escape the torch. Who needs a water car for a large steam locomotive?

Robert

Last edited by BigBoy 4023 on Mon May 13, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:11 pm 

Listing has been proven fraudulent by various sources, item has been removed from eBay around 4pm Eastern this afternoon. I did though send a fraud report to eBay even after the item ended. Kinda wonder who the "andreweaston" seller is though.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:35 pm 

BigBoy 4023 wrote:
Could be the owner got wind of all the hell everyone raised over the CPR mike being broken up?

Robert

This must have slipped my mind, or I was too busy at the time to muster outrage, but when did a CPR steamer get cut up recently?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:09 pm 

PMC,

He was referring to CPR 5361 in Depew, NY that was very nearly scrapped but was sold to Canadian interests.

Rob Gardner

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:17 pm 

TrainWatcher wrote:
Listing has been proven fraudulent by various sources, item has been removed from eBay around 4pm Eastern this afternoon. I did though send a fraud report to eBay even after the item ended. Kinda wonder who the "andreweaston" seller is though.

Well that was an extremely late and not funny April Fools joke.
At least it brought some renewed exposure to this poor locomotive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next