It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: 643 for sale on eBay?
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:54 pm 

Has anyone here actually spoken with Mr. Campbell since the ad first appeared on Facebook a week ago? Has he confirmed that it is indeed for sale? Has he confirmed that it must be off the property by July 1?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:56 pm 

Bobharbison wrote:
Charlie wrote:
According to the ownership listings, the B&LE sold the 643 to Glenn Campbell in June of 1983. What was its story before then?

Still owned by the B&LE and stored in the roundhouse in Greenville if I recall correctly.

They also sold a very nice set of classic passenger cars at the same time. Anyone recall where those ended up? I looked at them for the Mt Rainier Scenic RR, but they ended up not bidding on them.

I think too the B&LE has a great fleet of EMD F unit, somes of this has been sold and run today in Heritage line

For the 643 i just hope someone get him out of his present place. My dream see the Illinois railway museum or the AOS buy 643

In the end, the roundhouse in Greenville still today too

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:08 pm 

This is sort of becoming like the analysis of the decisions of closed societies like the old USSR where you can't just ask them, trying to figure out motivations. Does Mr. Campbell know anything about steam locomotives, the cost of moving them, the market for them etc.? I am guessing he does, which if you assume he is being rational doesn't jive with the facts on the ground. I can only think of a few operations/ entities that could handle or need such a large locomotive (e.g. WMSR, and they have their own large engine), which leaves really only AOS. It also seems like the longer he waits the less money he will get for it. The obvious fear is that this is another Dick Jensen who thinks if he just ignores everyone the problem will go away, but I am guessing this is just a way to generate a buzz.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:26 pm 

Thanks for all the info on the 643. Sounds like they were thinking of running excursions at one time.

The latest auction just ended. Can't wait to see what's next.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:23 pm 

Certainly hope I'm proven wrong but this looks like it will end up being Dick Jensen 2 ??

When I tried to broker the AOS deal in 2011 Mr. Campbell had TOTALLY unrealistic notions of this engines value. And that's being polite.

If it truly must be gone by July 1 the scrappers torch is the most likely way that will happen.

Sad but true. Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:58 pm 

Tend to agree, the next property owner inherits the engine and will have to deal with it.

Noting the various blanks filled in related to asbestos, the rebuilding of the engine
that took place, and attempts to purchase the engine in 2011.

The underlying story to this engine still seems elusive.

It reminds me of a Paul Harvey "Rest of the Story".

Built in 1943.
In Service for 12 years and retired in 1955. (Internet Info... may be off plus-or-minus; )

Stored by Bessemer & Lake Erie Railroad for 28 years until sold in 1983.

Stored again for an additional 36 years to date.

A combined time period of 64 years in storage.

Granted, things are stored. (Howard Hughes plane comes to mind to name an example.)

I wonder at what point the audience will read, "... and now you know... the rest of the story."

What would have been the reason for B&LE hanging on to the engine for 28 years?
Perhaps that blank could be more fully filled in if not already taken to the grave.

John

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:16 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Here's the legitimate question:

Assuming that this ends up as a legal showdown between the property owner and the loco owner, AND assuming the property owner then goes through the legal motions to take possession of property left behind on said property through mechanic's lien or whatever (and all of this assumes the story of the property being sold and the loco having a deadline to be moved IS true and not rumor--still a big assumption...).......

...... IS anyone TRULY in the position to say TO THE NEW OWNER/HEIRS "We will save this loco if you give us a fighting chance and some time in exchange for a tax write-off/a few thousand bucks/a big bottle of Pappy Van Winkle bourbon/whatever"?????

The RR Museum of Pa. is expressly forbidden from pursuing acquisitions in this fashion (but not the Friends of the RR Museum of Pa., a separate support group)........

Everyone fantasizes about Age of Steam Museum, but it's been stated up-thread that they don't seem interested, or can't fit it into their budget.....

Who else do we have, REALISTICALLY? The Railroaders Memorial Museum? Western Md. Scenic RR (not that I think they need it, but nothing surprises me from them anymore, good or bad)??? Lake Shore Railway Museum? Greenville RR Park?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:17 pm 

Well, I suppose one static locomotive is as good as another. A motivated group could always attempt a trade, exchanging 643 for another engine that is more mainline friendly. A certain berk in Scranton comes to mind. If I were the new super at Steamtown I might consider amassing the largest collection of notorious internet locomotives - BLE 643, PRR 1361, etc...

As a side note, 643's boiler was reported to be "spotless."

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:48 am 

"Reports" of the condition of the boiler are almost academic as she would need to go through the full FRA 1472 day drill regardless and for an engine this size you're looking at somewhere between $ 1.5 -3.0 millions depending on running gear upgrades etc.

The only reason anyone would invest that kind of cash is if they had an iron clad contract to operate it and in a situation where it could generate net ( operative word net) revenues sufficient to cover its operating costs AND a reserve for mechanical maintenance.

IMHO-Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:02 am 

I am certain we are not the only concerned individual viewing the 643. I certainly hope not. The value of the locomotive must be apparent beyond cold steel.

Remember Casey Stengel: "It ain't over until the fat lady sings."

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:12 am 

"It ain't over until it's over."- Yogi Berra.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:05 am 

Richard Glueck wrote:
I am certain we are not the only concerned individual viewing the 643. I certainly hope not. The value of the locomotive must be apparent beyond cold steel.

Remember Casey Stengel: "It ain't over until the fat lady sings."

But she is just off-stage and warming up her vocal cords...

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:18 am 

It's pretty much irrelevant at this point, but was there any kind of a plan (concrete or otherwise) for operating the locomotive when Mr. Campbell restored it years ago?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:54 pm 

How easily can this locomotive be seen from public property or a road? We are planning to go to Pittsburgh and Altoona 2 weeks from now. Is it hard to get pictures of the loco in it’s current condition? I could possibly get shots of anything in question on the loco. Running gear, tender trucks, etc. if visable and I will try to post them.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 4:05 pm 

You can see it from Munson Ave. I don't know who owns the parcel but cars get parked there so you should be able to get right up to it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 25  Next