It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Strasburg's Cagney
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:05 pm 

Yesterday I checked out the Strasburg Railroad's new 15-inch gauge Cagney live-steam amusement park locomotive and train. It's a neat addition and seemed to be popular with "kids" of all ages--heck, even I HAD to take a ride!

Right now they have a short "out and back" run of track, I'm guessing about 300 feet in length. Riders are given two "round trips". The track forms two broad S curves with a low wooden trestle in between. It extends from alongside the rest rooms (the boarding point), around in front of their business office, and ends at the train's storage shed located next to the old east driveway. The locomotive pushes its two car train backwards and then pulls it forward on the return trip. Running forward there is a bit of an upgrade that provides for some decent stack talk. The trestle is right alongside the road (rt. 741) and the little train is a real attention getter when it passes!

After reviewing the video I shot of it in operation, I realized that I (think)(I) recognized this particular Cagney locomotive. I'm 99.9% convinced that it's the one last owned (and operated at special events) by George Spohrer. Mr. Spohrer's engine was painted green, but it sure looks like the same Cagney with black paint. See the below link for a photo of the Spohrer engine visiting the Reading Society of Model Engineers' (RSME) 15-inch gauge railroad near Reading, Pa. Yes, at something like a half a ton, a lift from a backhoe is definitely in order!

This Cagney was one of a handfull that operated at Coney Island in New York. If this is indeed the Spohrer engine, he had it listed as being produced in 1903.

Regards,
Jim Robinson

Cagney locomotive

Post subject: Re: Strasburg's Cagney *PIC*
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:12 pm 

Here is the Cagney on its inaugural run with Linn at the throttle. It is indeed the same engine that George Spohrer owned, though recent information casts doubt as to its exact age. In the future, the track may be lengthened or relocated, but for this year will be limited to the present short run. The maximum grade is 1.9%, which is the reason behind the bark.

Strasburg Rail Road
kelly@strasburgrailroad.com

Post subject: Re: Strasburg's Cagney
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:56 pm 

I know this is many many years later, but does anybody know more about the history of this engine or have additional pictures, like the one when George Spohrer was visiting RSME, the link no longer works.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:10 pm 

Here are some pictures of the SRR Cagney when owned by the late George Spohrer and when it was on loan to the NJ Museum of Transportation

Attachments:
File comment: George and his Cagney
Spohrer1.JPG
Spohrer1.JPG [ 327.27 KiB | Viewed 8049 times ]
File comment: This is Cagney before George Spohrer bought it. It was on loan to the Pine Creek Railroad in NJ where it was operated for Christmas at Brookdale Community College
Cagney_MCC_82.jpg
Cagney_MCC_82.jpg [ 73.15 KiB | Viewed 8049 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:59 pm 

The run at East Strasburg, Pa. now seems longer than 300 feet. There is a wye for the engine at the East end, and a turntable and passing siding at the West end. The turntable is used instead of a switch at the East end of the siding, so the passengers get to ride over it twice!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:33 pm 

The extension to the Cagney run was added a few years ago. The link to the Youtube video shows the Cagney train beginning at the rest rooms (which used to be end of track) and extending past main buildings and up nearing the main parking lot entrance. I also am attaching a few photos I took in 2005 before the extension took place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJbM2mZc9-Q

Attachments:
205b0160.jpg
205b0160.jpg [ 99.82 KiB | Viewed 7873 times ]
205b0150.jpg
205b0150.jpg [ 86.36 KiB | Viewed 7873 times ]
205b0140.jpg
205b0140.jpg [ 99.59 KiB | Viewed 7873 times ]