It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: N&W 2156 5 year lease
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:17 pm 

I know I’ve been bringing up a lot of steam loco threads lately, but I am having trouble finding info on certain locos. This thread is centered around N&W 2156. What is going to happen once her 5 year lease to VMT is up this year or next? Will she be returned immediately, or will something be worked out to keep her in her home territory? I don’t want to be biased about where she should go, but I think she should stay in Roanoke to show the three examples of N&W big steam.

Post subject: Re: N&W 2156 5 year lease
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:00 pm 

Anyone remember what happened the last time one of the N&W big three was sent to Roanoke "temporarily"?

*DISCLAIMER* This is just a joke, don't get butthurt.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:33 am 

ColebrookdaleRailfan wrote:
Anyone remember what happened the last time one of the N&W big three was sent to Roanoke "temporarily"?

*DISCLAIMER* This is just a joke, don't get butthurt.

Actually, no - it's a valid point. Do you honestly think the VMT, now that it's in their train shed, will give up having the "Big 3" there at Roanoke? I think the museum will do everything in their power to ensure that 2156 stays in Roanoke, either via a lease extension or outright purchase of the locomotive. Hopefully they don't go down the prior route again...

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:40 am 

"Do you honestly think the VMT, now that it's in their train shed, will give up having the "Big 3" there at Roanoke?"

YES. Whether or a locomotive or a painting, a loan is a loan! That being said, certainly the two parties could agree to an extension.

I'd be curious to know how the move there and return are paid for- donated by NS? Per the TRAINS article about five years ago, cosmetic work was supposed to occur- has that happened?

Joshua

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:47 am 

When I was there last year, it seemed as if 2156 had been at least repainted recently. There didn’t appear to be any fading or rust visible on the loco at the time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:10 am 

Joshua K. Blay wrote:
"Do you honestly think the VMT, now that it's in their train shed, will give up having the "Big 3" there at Roanoke?"

YES. Whether or a locomotive or a painting, a loan is a loan! That being said, certainly the two parties could agree to an extension.

Clearly then you need to brush up on the history with 1218 and Steamtown's loan to VMT.

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:24 am 

I'm a little familiar with it but I would like to see a full, verified accounting.

I believe this is different- I can't imagine MOT would have made the loan if there was any cause for concern not to mention how the situation could reflect upon VMT if things went south.

Joshua

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:22 pm 

I was a restoration volunteer at the Museum of Transportation when this loan was made. Please keep in mind that I do not speak for the Museum of Transportation.

I know that VMT tried to purchase #2156 from MoT, but that was NOT an option. A loan of #2156 to VMT for 5 years was agreed on, and, in exchange, MoT received: a FTB-unit (painted to match the FTA-unit) that we get to keep, a repaint of UP Centennial #6944, and a repaint of #2156 when she is returned to MoT.

Again, I'm not a representative for the Museum of Transportation. I'm just a former restoration volunteer who was there when everything happened. If you have any questions regarding this, I would recommend reach out to MoT.

- Diesels are boxcars with an engine, but steam is an iron horse.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:03 am 

From what I remember from posts and discussions around the time, I remember hearing that N&W #2156 was loaned, not to VMT, but to Norfolk Southern. Can anyone else corroborate this?

Adam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:53 am 

Leased to NS was my understanding. Considering that the 2156 arrived in Roanoke in summer 2015 after several months of off and on preparation at Kirkwood, it will be going back in the first half of 2020.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:37 am 

I visited the Va Transportation Museum on June 10th and they have a fund raising campaign illustrated with an artist's rendering of a new engine house they say they want to construct to house their 3 largest steam locomotives, 611, 1218, and 2156. Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:19 am 

Charlie High wrote:
I visited the Va Transportation Museum on June 10th and they have a fund raising campaign illustrated with an artist's rendering of a new engine house they say they want to construct to house their 3 largest steam locomotives, 611, 1218, and 2156. Just sayin'.

That is an interesting observation. Their website says the same thing. The rendering is dated May 30, 2015 and so the copy may be from the same time period. If they planned on completing the facility in under five years, I greatly admire their optimism.

http://fireup611.org/support/

Attachments:
VMT.jpg
VMT.jpg [ 117.06 KiB | Viewed 11823 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:34 pm 

The obvious question must be asked: What if no RR will now move the Y6 back to St Louis now? You sure couldn't truck it back.
As friendly as the Roanoke museum is with NS, you have to wonder if a 'nudge nudge wink wink' deal with NS could be made wherein the RR says, "Nope, not gonna move this," and it then stays in Roanoke...
I'm not saying or suggesting this has happened or will happen, just saying that it wouldn't be a nutty thing to think of happening in the future.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:40 pm 

I’m sure if that came up, MOT might try to find another way to move it. Technically they could move it the same way 1309 was moved, front engine taken off, separated from the tender, then put onto heavy duty flats. They could possibly just let it stay in Roanoke. Don’t look forward to NS saying “We won’t move it” anytime in the foreseeable future. Don’t forget they just moved NKP 757 with plain bearings to Ohio on its own wheels.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:43 pm 

N&W 2156 really should stay in Roanoke. It has far more historical connection to Roanoke than St, Louis. VMT could find something to trade from their dead line? NS could deny 2156 because she does have a crack in her frame. N&W retired it to St, Louis because of the crack in the frame. Just sayin!

Robert