It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CB&Q 4-8-4 5631 for sale in Sheridan, Wyoming?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:45 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
The article seems a bit confusing, but:

https://county3.news/2019/07/05/locomotive-for-sale/

Quote:
At an upcoming Sheridan City Council study session, Public Works Director Lane Thompson will recommend entering into a contract with Wasatch Railroad Contractors for the sale of the historic steam locomotive on Broadway across from the Sheridan Inn.

Locomotive CB&Q 4-8-4 Northern Number 5631 was donated to the city approximately May 26, 1962 by the BNSF Railway Company. A small spur line was constructed to move it onto the lawn of the Burlington depot.

The Sheridan Rotary Club has maintained the park and performed a cosmetic restoration of the engine in the past, but it contains asbestos that will need to be addressed if the engine is left in place.

The Rotary Club reached out to the Wasatch Railroad Contractors, who have presented a scope of work to the club and the city.

The study session will take place on July 8.

Post subject: Re: CB&Q 4-8-4 5631 for sale in Sheridan, Wyoming?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:19 pm 

I am indeed confused, is Wasatch simply being contracted to remove the asbestos, in preparation for the town to sell the locomotive to another third party (possibly the local Rotary club)?

Or is Wasatch buying the locomotive and presumably relocating it? I can't imagine they would have much reason to acquire a stationary locomotive in northern Wyoming.

Or did the author get his facts wrong, perhaps Wasatch will remove the asbestos and no sale will occur.

So many possibilities flow from a poorly worded article.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:50 pm 

The article is not all that clear.

Wasatch was asked to provide the city with as many feasible options as possible. This included but was not limited to the removal of the locomotive all the way down to simply adapting it and leaving it “as is where is.”

The City Council will hear me speak to the subject via phone on Monday. One of our proposals is to offer the locomotive to a new home. If the city takes that track, Wasatch would be the vetting company to hear all proposals related to relocation. Our job would be to ensure that the Go Fund Me/Pipe Dream/Wishers don’t win the bid and then can’t do anything with it. The last thing our industry needs is another mess like that. Wasatch will review viable offers and aid in the selection of a new home for the locomotive. Only organizations that can afford the project will be considered.

If your organization wants to be considered, please contact me directly.

info@wrrc.us

Kindly,

- John E. Rimmasch

From my iPhone, mistakes and all.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:53 pm 

Mr. Rimmasch, thank you for the quick response and clarification.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:03 pm 

I know CB&Q didn't run there, but a 4-8-4 would sure look good in Evanston's restored roundhouse...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:23 pm 

I just ordered a case of popcorn from Amazon. Just in case.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:20 pm 

Anyone know the condition of the locomotive overall? Is she deteriorated or in solid shape? Vandalized or protected? It would be terrific to she sister of 5632 rise from the ashes. This will be one to watch.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:03 pm 

As a result of my travels around the world I have been fortunate enough to have seen a number of static locomotives. The CB&Q steam locomotives are by far some of, if not the best locomotives on display. Reasons why; the frames are clean, running gear is clean, running gear is well maintained, the boilers are clean on the inside, most of them are nearly fully intact. The list goes on and on. Damage is mostly confined to cosmetic features like cab sides, piping issues and jacket issues. It goes without saying that all of them would need boiler work, but not extensive boiler work.

If I were given two million dollars and told to pick a locomotive to restore, any one of the CB&Q locomotives would rank VERY, very high on my list. The unit at Colorado Railroad Museum is a great locomotive, as is the locomotive in Douglas,Wyoming.

These are mid size, mid range, durable Northern type locomotives. If I could pick a home and a good user for this locomotive, my top pick would be Grand Canyon Railway. The all weather cab and general size of the locomotive, with the speed and tractive effort that these units have would make them perfect at an operation like GCRy.

In addition, I agree, this unit would fit well in the roundhouse at Evanston, Wyoming.

- John E. Rimmasch

Sorry for mistakes and typos... wrote it on my phone.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:41 pm 

Aren’t at least the O5b’s oil burning too? That’s another perk if that’s the case.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:35 am 

What I wouldn't give to see one of these locomotives ride the rails again. Big and beautiful. I heard these locomotives have some of the best stack talk you ever heard. Saw this locomotive a few years ago along with the one in Douglas, Wyoming. Both were in very good condition. The one in Sheridan was enclosed in a secured barbed wire fence. Looked like you could dust it off, light the fire, and head out of town. Not sure when or why the headlight was removed. This locomotive is just a stones throw from the main line.

I know the city of Sheridan is pretty proud of that locomotive. You can see advertisements in just about any railroad magazine with the title "Come see the #5631 in Sheridan, Wyoming". I have asked several times if there is any plans to restore the #5629 at the Colorado railroad museum. They said it sat for many years as a stationary boiler and developed a crack in the boiler. No future plans for restoration on that one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:44 am 

Just a side comment: CB&Q had long stretches of O5 Northerns freshly shopped and stored, ready to run, at the close of steam. Just another one of those odd cases where "them new-fangled Diesels" might not arrive on time or might not perform as advertised. Burlington invested in heavy steam shop work, rather than to be unprepared. Oh, what might have been!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:14 pm 

Steamguy73 wrote:
Aren’t at least the O5b’s oil burning too? That’s another perk if that’s the case.

Steamguy73 - For the record, of the surviving Burlington 4-8-4's, numbers 5631 and 5633 are O5A's (coal burners). Numbers 5614 and 5629 are class O5B's (oil burners).

Les

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:54 pm 

I'm a little rusty on the CB&Q o5's but did these engines ever operate in WY at all in their careers? If not then what was their territory they ran in? I feel like NE is the furthest west they went.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:59 pm 

Hmm...wonder what the climate would be for BNSF to somehow "adapt" the 5631 for a renewed steam program....?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:51 pm 

A BNSF steam program is a lovely dream. That's where it will likely remain. See the posting above about buying popcorn while the dramatics take place? Let's keep this in the realm of reality. I'd love to see it, but (politely) it isn't a likelihood.