It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kentucky R.R. Museum #2152
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:31 am 

I have been in Kentucky recently after being gone a few years and was actually surprised by the progress I saw at the KRM after seeing things at a stand still for a few years when I lived there before. I wanted everyone’s opinion though to see if maybe I’m putting too much faith in the museum.

The KRM has recently given a lot of attention to their steam locomotives. L&N #152 has recently had a grant from the government given to it to help finish its restoration. C&O #2716 is leaving for the eastern side of the state to be restored as well. Another steam locomotive they have, Louisville Cement #11, which I figured would rust away or be scrapped, is also being cosmetically restored. This only leaves their L&N #2152 0-8-0 steam engine that has not been touched. Does anyone think this would be the best logical project for the museum to perhaps repaint? They’ll need something to replace C&O #2716 on display. There’s always their L&N #770 E6A, but since they have more room under their cover, it just seems to make sense they put their other L&N locomotive there. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Kentucky R.R. Museum #2152
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:31 pm 

trainman522 -

I seem to recall reading a post quite some time ago where one of the KRM members had suggested a restoration of the 0-8-0 as a backup to the 152. This was a time when the Pacific was running, and may have been when the 2716 was out on loan. Anyway, the shop crew was looking for something to tackle next, and the 0-8-0 seemed like a good project. From what I recall, the idea was shot down. Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me, and if so, I apologize. In any event, the fact that there are only three examples of Louisville & Nashville steam power in existence, a restoration of 0-8-0 #2152, either cosmetically or to operation, seems to be a good idea.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:37 pm 

I would suggest a Direct Message to the KRM Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter rather than asking folks NOT associated with KRM to speculate as to what KRM should do.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:44 pm 

Depending on the size of the check you cut them I am sure you can convince them to restore anything you want.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:02 pm 

Good evening all,

I visited the museum today actually to plot my route for chasing #2716 on its move, and noticed that #2152 does actually have some fresh paint on her, but it's a long way to go for a cosmetic restoration. I have messaged and emailed the KRM, but they are relatively slow on getting back, as I sent the message about 4 days ago. I was only curious on what everyone's opinions were. I haven't been able to be directly involved with the KRM sadly due to moving away from the area, but I know some have other experiences with what other museums have done once an certain piece leaves and there is room to move other, less attended to pieces in their place. Thanks all!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:23 am 

There have been numerous posts about museums time frame in answering railfan questions. Without pictures of the equipment in question and majority of us not having been there recently or at all it is hard to give any kind of worthwhile opinion on what someone else should do with their equipment. Your thoughts are not good or bad but directed to those of us not involved even remotely is even more sketchy? At least you have been there. Sounds to me like they are moving ahead and no doubt have plans of their own. Ask how you could help them along with what ever plans they have? I am somewhat confused by why our opinions on what order they address their own business should matter to anybody? I know many railfans seem to think their opinions mean a lot to organizations they are not affiliated with but if that railfan is not sending a big check to repaint this or that it is just an opinion. In many volunteer organizations the BOD doesn't care about opinions from there own volunteers much less an outsider who thinks they should do things differently. Doesn't mean they are "bad", but they have to keep things in order and they {BOD} are the final decision makers for good or ill. They cannot afford to take in every opinion and change their plans. Even if once in a while they ought too. Just isn't the way it works normally. Good luck, John.