It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Big Boy delivery route?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:29 am 

So how would it have gone through the Chicago area?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:43 am 

I have an old clipping from the Cleveland Plain Dealer when a new Big Boy laid over at the Collingwood Shops of NYC. Big Boy was big news, even then.

The clearance issue is a big puzzle to me because NKP 765 deadheaded over the NYC main from Vermilion, OH to Rockport Yard, Cleveland, a couple times since 2012 and had slow orders at a number of the bridges on than route. I understand it was not a matter of Cooper bridge (weight) ratings but a matter of vertical and horizontal clearances. How many restrictions were there on shipping the Big Boys through there? But the BB's did layover at Collingwood.

And by the way, FWRHS couldn't get the NKP 765 anywhere near Chicago on the old NYC route. (Either IHB or Chicago Rail Link via Pullman Jct and Gresham.) The Big Boy would have had the same problems getting into Chicago. Maybe they were routed on the Big Four from Elyria to St. Louis and avoided Chicago altogether AND the bridges west of Cleveland.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:56 pm 

I’m pretty sure I have heard the route took them through the Chicago area. I’m especially curious if the clearance issues had them routed on the EJ&E.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:02 pm 

Hey Chris Webster,
Could you please post your pictures on this site or e-mail them to me so I can post them of course giving you credit for them.
Thanks.
Mark.
marksecco@mindspring.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:02 am 

NKP779 wrote:
The clearance issue is a big puzzle to me because NKP 765 deadheaded over the NYC main from Vermilion, OH to Rockport Yard, Cleveland, a couple times since 2012 and had slow orders at a number of the bridges on than route. I understand it was not a matter of Cooper bridge (weight) ratings but a matter of vertical and horizontal clearances. How many restrictions were there on shipping the Big Boys through there? But the BB's did layover at Collingwood.

And by the way, FWRHS couldn't get the NKP 765 anywhere near Chicago on the old NYC route. (Either IHB or Chicago Rail Link via Pullman Jct and Gresham.) The Big Boy would have had the same problems getting into Chicago. Maybe they were routed on the Big Four from Elyria to St. Louis and avoided Chicago altogether AND the bridges west of Cleveland.
Interesting. As we all recall, #4449 traveled throught (near) Chicago on her way to Owasso, and she is 16' 4" tall. #4014 is 16' 2-1/2" tall, and A Nickel Plate Berk (according to the '44 Cyclopedia) is only 15' 8" tall.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:22 am 

Yes, but, per postings at the time, 4449's passage through Chicagoland had to be adjusted due to clearance issues. I don't think it was just about height.

Here is a ten year old TO post by "nls."

After leaving its train at the Amtrak coach yard in the city, the SP 4449 was forced to make a night run out to the Indiana Harbor Belt to navigate its way through Chicagoland and out to rendezvous with its train the next day in Michigan City, IN due to clearance issues. This made for some rare mileage for the steamer, and a few fans followed along as the train made its way through LaGrange, Blue Island, Hammond, IN and back up to the NS at CP502 in East Chicago, IN.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:38 am 

Right, so I guess that's the oversize route. I recall reading that Doyle had to get on the phone at the last minute to call in some favors to get #4449 permission to proceed via any route, but he succeeded. There's a lot to be said about having a good reputation, charisma, and lots of high level connections.