It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Alemite Grease Guns
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:49 pm 

When Shop Services was still around they sold an Alemite gun of their design based on the original. Does Midwest Central still have the drawings for that gun?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:42 am 

Would something like this work? Change out the fitting to the “button” fitting?
https://www.skf.com/alemite/products/gr ... index.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:10 pm 

Steam Services of America supplies hard grease in block and stick form. http://www.steamservicesofamerica.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:01 pm 

Robert Franzen wrote:
Steam Services of America supplies hard grease in block and stick form. http://www.steamservicesofamerica.com

Robert's product is the the real thing. We used his stuff on the #18 at the San Luis & Rio Grande. 104 mile round trip, 35 mph running, and full tonnage up 17 miles of 3% grade. Seldom had anything run more than slightly warm.

Now....back to finding a good gun the shoot the rods.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:37 am 

Two little notes that are in the Alemite ad, but may not be obvious:

1) the 1073 'compressor' illustrated does essentially the same thing, for button fittings, that Kelly's screw fittings do when installed 'on board'. Turning the screw forces grease in a reservoir space into the 'active area'.

Yes, I saw the 'friction bearing' reference -- don't rub it in!

It was my understanding that at least some of the Alemite systems for rods involved pressuring the hard grease into a spring-loaded reservoir which would then exert continuous pressure against what was essentially a short 'stick of hard grease' with its inner end against the journal or bushing to be lubricated. This would involve not just apparatus that can develop high hydrostatic pressure, but feed a meaningful 'mass flow' volume of grease at that pressure.

2) the air guns are said to produce 'about 180 times the air line pressure' at the delivery nozzle. That is an indication of the ratio of air-piston area to grease-piston area.

I assume the gun is made strong and heavy enough that the comparatively long cylinder volume occupied by one of the formed 'sticks' won't deform or distort significantly under the high applied hydrostatic pressure (upward of 20,000psi for hard grease) I have to wonder whether an arrangement with a comparatively short power piston and some means of laterally feeding hard grease into that cylinder when the piston is fully retracted might allow a shorter and lighter gun (yes, trapped air purge would be an important design detail). I'm looking into whether a good ball-screw jack or similar mechanism could be repurposed to be used instead of compressed 'brake reservoir air' as power for a portable hard-grease feeder. I am tempted to add that an arrangement to heat the grease sticks or the gun in an otherwise purely mechanical arrangement might constitute a useful feature for reducing 'user effort' in the field...

Last edited by Overmod on Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:41 pm 

I can also attest to the quality of grease sold by steam services of America. We use it at the Colorado Railroad museum, I also know the Durango & Silverton uses it.

Also Pyle National of Denver did a small run of new grease gun patterned after the old Prime models. I believe they still have some. But they are not cheap. You can find them on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/ThePyleNationalCompany/