It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GM EMD Paint Codes / Colors
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:37 am 

Friends in Brazil are restoring an EMD GP-series diesel locomotive. As I understand it, when delivered, the locomotive being restored was painted in an EMD demonstrator color scheme. See attached image.

I have been asked to assist these friends to identify the correct colors for this locomotive. Any insights in this regard would be appreciated.

Attachments:
File comment: Brazil: Araraquara 7016, EMD GP-series diesel in demonstrator paint scheme.
Brazil Araraquara 7016.jpg
Brazil Araraquara 7016.jpg [ 137.17 KiB | Viewed 3418 times ]

Post subject: Re: GM EMD Paint Codes / Colors
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:48 pm 

At the top of the "interchange" page is a sticky thread entitled "railroad color library," a resource compiled by Eric Schlentner, which may have your answer, I will let someone more familiar with the specific paints in question give the details:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41938

Edit:

EMD demo unit codes are here on page 10: https://bigeprod.com/literature/rrPres/paintRef.pdf

There are individuals on this board who may be able to answer what specific colors were used for export units. BTW, I have never seen trucks like that on an EMD, or anything else, before.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:38 pm 

After an absence of 2+ years, I was unfamiliar with the current list of topics being discussed. Only after I pressed the "Submit" button did I notice the thread regarding color schemes. Thanks.

Regarding the locomotive's trucks, neither have I seen such bogies.

Additional information just received from Brazil: The diesel locomotive is an EMD GP-18, bought by EFA (Estrada de Ferro Araraquara or Araraquara Railroad).

If we can find the color code, we hope to produce this paint here (in Brazil) and make it almost perfect!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:21 pm 

I have some of the EMD standard color codes crossed to DuPont codes (ref: attached). Therein lies the rub....

EMD used DuPont paints almost exclusively. When DuPont removed heavy metals and changed to low VOC paints, the old color codes did not cross to the new system. I believe it all changed again after the sale to Axalta. Your best hope using the list is to find the EMD code, look at the DuPont code, scan the list for that code in other entries and hope there's a PPG or other current manufacturer's number also listed. EMD's standard color pallet was limited so it's not like you'd have to research tons of paint codes.

If the original color exists anywhere under later coats of paint, there are three things you can try:

1. Lightly sand down through the layers until the color is exposed, seal it with a clear coat (most likely enamel), have it scanned by a paint manufacturer/supplier. That could be problematic if you're taking something big like a whole door.

2. You can send a piece (hinge, bracket, etc.) to a color laboratory that will expose the layers microscopically and provide color specs to a known standard that a paint suppliers lab should be able to duplicate.

3. Do No. 1 above, compare it to Pantone color cards or something similar (won't be exact but you might get close), take the cards to your supplier to have them scanned.

Do be aware that the exact original shade could vary slightly between units depending on who mixed and/or applied the paint that day.

Please keep us updated on your paint search.

Attachments:
emd.pdf [68.45 KiB]
Downloaded 388 times