It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: 643 for sale on eBay?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:27 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Steamguy73 wrote:
In AOSR’s Facebook post, the tender has already been removed from the engine. I don’t want to assume it’s much sooner rather than later.

Although I could be proven wrong, I believe (and other sources tell me) that nothing has actually moved at the 643 site yet.

643 had been parked on a curved siding, so between the angle of the photo and the use of a wide-angle lens, I believe Tim Sposato's photo simply hides the tender behind the cab and firebox on a curve.

"Prove me wrong."
[sits behind card table on a college campus with a coffee cup, grin, and cocky swagger as per the popular online meme]

Last edited by Alexander D. Mitchell IV on Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:32 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I've received a couple back-channel notes from others about this happy outcome, pointing out a small cloud on an otherwise bright day:

The paraphrased gist:

"Oh, no. Now all those 'armchair keyboard warriors' that spent the past year or three spouting 'IT NEEDS TO GO TO AOS/JJJ NEEDS TO GET THIS!!!!!' will think people in charge of these places actually LISTEN to them......."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:50 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
I've received a couple back-channel notes from others about this happy outcome, pointing out a small cloud on an otherwise bright day:

The paraphrased gist:

"Oh, no. Now all those 'armchair keyboard warriors' that spent the past year or three spouting 'IT NEEDS TO GO TO AOS/JJJ NEEDS TO GET THIS!!!!!' will think people in charge of these places actually LISTEN to them......."

HAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.. We can change the world with the power of our keyboards! (shaking my head, I think anyone who has seen her is overjoyed that she is going to AOSR, Heck I am sure that anyone that has followed her story all these years is happy she is getting preserved and looks forward to her future)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:05 pm 

"643 had been parked on a curved siding, so between the angle of the photo and the use of a wide-angle lens, I believe Mr. Corns' photo simply hides the tender behind the cab and firebox on a curve.""

I did not make this photo--it was shot by Tim Sposato, AoSRM's chief mechanical officer. And, yes, #643 and its tender sit on a curved section of track that hid the tender in the photo, just as Sandy correctly surmised.

Be safe.

John B. Corns

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:07 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Steamguy73 wrote:
In AOSR’s Facebook post, the tender has already been removed from the engine. I don’t want to assume it’s much sooner rather than later.

Although I could be proven wrong, I believe (and other sources tell me) that nothing has actually moved at the 643 site yet.

643 had been parked on a curved siding, so between the angle of the photo and the use of a wide-angle lens, I believe Mr. Corns' photo simply hides the tender behind the cab and firebox on a curve.

"Prove me wrong."
[sits behind card table on a college campus with a coffee cup, grin, and cocky swagger as per the popular online meme]

Oh, my bad.

Just checked google maps, and the locomotive is on a bit of a curve. At that angle it definitely could look like the tender wasn’t there.

Sorry for the hoopla everyone. That’s a false alarm on my part.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:08 am 

Could someone please keep us apprised of the steps taken in the move, or start a new thread on that? It will be rather interesting to learn how they move this beautiful engine and see photos of the process.
All the best to AOSR.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:14 am 

Oh heck, allow me to "throttle" the subject even further and wonder aloud, will we see a 2-10-4 under steam on AOS's rails? How fantastic to see something that long and heavy roll by under power!

Wait! Who said "foam"?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:30 am 

Richard Glueck wrote:
How fantastic to see something that long and heavy roll by under power!

Have you seen the Bigboy or Challenger? They are even BIGGER than 643! It still be quite a sight to see a 2-10-4 restored once again! Hey maybe they could dress her up as a pseudo Pennsy J1 and loan her to the RRMPA! Wishful thinking...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:06 pm 

NS6770fan wrote:
Have you seen the Bigboy or Challenger? They are even BIGGER than 643! It still be quite a sight to see a 2-10-4 restored once again! Hey maybe they could dress her up as a pseudo Pennsy J1 and loan her to the RRMPA! Wishful thinking...

Why in tarnation would anyone need to "dress her up as a pseudo Pennsy J1" when:

1) the differences in appearance are substantial;
2) the Museum in question is chock full of PRR locos;, and
3) the Bessemer & Lake Erie is ALSO a railroad that operated in Pennsylvania--almost entirely within it, in fact--and by that fact alone warrants representation there, even if only temporary?

Now, I'm wondering what The Hon. Mr. Anderson and his co-workers think of the idea of a B&LE 2-10-4 arriving at Leaman Place and rolling through Long Curve.......

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:11 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/ageofsteamroun ... tion=group

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:30 pm 

This link to the AOS site includes the same video and a good overview of the move plan.

http://www.ageofsteamroundhouse.org/bessemer-lake-erie-no-643-update/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:45 pm 

Any chance this move is going to be part of one of the cable TV shows that deals with large moves? It certainly is more of a huge move than some of the ones they have shown in the past.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:53 pm 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
Any chance this move is going to be part of one of the cable TV shows that deals with large moves? It certainly is more of a huge move than some of the ones they have shown in the past.

Depending on which roads it goes, I’d say yes. Probably a bit of local news.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:23 pm 

Any chance of a cosmetic/operational restoration as soon as she arrives since she’ll already be disassembled? It would be a cost saver to leave her in pieces while restoring instead of assembling then disassembling again.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:32 pm 

She will get a cosmetic for sure.....operational....lotta $$ and no place to run.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next