It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Soo Line Wood Outside Braced Boxcars
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:36 am 

Another place to look for a number is under the dirt on the bolster, as you face the end of the car. I've found them there from B&O and D&RGW. Other roads may have done the same back in the day.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:53 am 

The only problem with that is, when the cars went into work service, as all the cars presented here so far had, typically the underframe and truck bolster numbers were painted over, although they may still be visible under the paint with strong side lighting.

Another place some roads painted the car number was on the inside of the doors, so in the event a door came off the car, they could hopefully be reunited.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:06 pm 

Dennis Storzek wrote:
The only problem with that is, when the cars went into work service, as all the cars presented here so far had, typically the underframe and truck bolster numbers were painted over, although they may still be visible under the paint with strong side lighting.

Another place some roads painted the car number was on the inside of the doors, so in the event a door came off the car, they could hopefully be reunited.

I looked everywhere on the outside of the car and I could not find any identification marks or numbers. I have just sent an email to the museum requesting more info on this car.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:48 pm 

Which car? The now identified as C&NW car at Capsian, or the Soo car at Hermansville? I'd be interested in the later... well, both, I suppose. I've had pretty good luck finding numbers on those massive fishbelly center sills on the Soo cars, usually on the side with the brake cylinder, but I have no idea what the Cardboard & No Windows did for stenciling.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:09 am 

Dennis Storzek wrote:
Which car? The now identified as C&NW car at Capsian, or the Soo car at Hermansville? I'd be interested in the later... well, both, I suppose. I've had pretty good luck finding numbers on those massive fishbelly center sills on the Soo cars, usually on the side with the brake cylinder, but I have no idea what the Cardboard & No Windows did for stenciling.

I was originally referring to the CNW car, but actually both.

I have sent emails to both organizations requesting car numbers. (Both museums were unfortunately closed on the dates that I visited).

I will also email the CNWHS Archives to see if they have any record on the Caspian car. (They just helped me identify a previously unknown displayed DMIR ore car in Ironwood, Michigan).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:40 pm 

The IXL Museum in Hermansville wrote me back.
The number on the frame of the Soo Line boxcar is #1103.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:48 pm 

That would be W-1103, and is a work service number. It shows on a 1961 roster as a supply car for the communications gang, which I take to be line maintenance... we already knew it came out of work service; the step and grab irons next to the door is a standard work service mod. Unfortunately, I don't have anything that cross references the revenue service number of the car it was converted from. I'll make inquiries.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:46 am 

I "own" two of those cars. They are both ex- Soo. My cousin gave them to me. They are on his farm in North Dakota where they were used for storage but now are empty. One is in fairly good shape. The car numbers are painted in the interiors of the cars. There are quite a few of them scattered around the countryside. There is even the remains of a wood passenger car on another farm.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:11 pm 

nedsn3 wrote:
I "own" two of those cars. They are both ex- Soo. My cousin gave them to me. They are on his farm in North Dakota where they were used for storage but now are empty. One is in fairly good shape. The car numbers are painted in the interiors of the cars. There are quite a few of them scattered around the countryside. There is even the remains of a wood passenger car on another farm.

nedsn3 -

Do your two Soo Line cars still have trucks and couplers? What are their numbers? Got a photo by any chance?

Les

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:21 am 

Les- No, they were "scrapped" before being sold. The couplers were torched off and trucks were removed, and since they sit low (presumably on cinderblocks, or maybe old ties) I can't see underneath them, but I presume all of the brake gear is gone. Surprisingly all of the other stuff is there, they have metal roofs, bracing, etc., and as I wrote, one is pretty much intact, but the second is failing. They remain a testimony to car builders talent, (the doors smoothly open and close!) but the only thing worth saving is the door hardware, retainers, etc., and other fittings. I'm in Massachusetts as the moment and don't have pictures or know the numbers off hand. There are, or were, lots of them scattered around farm country. Ned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:46 pm 

This is a perpetual problem with boxcar sheds on farms, the railroad usually prepared them for sale as sheds. In my neck of the woods, I used to know where there were a dozen or so CB&Q single sheathed cars (and one USRA double sheathed car that I initially thought was worth trying to save), all missing underframes. The Q standard prep job consisted of cutting the bolsters and cross bearers just inside the side sills, and cutting the end sill around the striker casting to free the body from the underframe. The body, including the floor and floor stringers, was then lifted free of the underframe, which was then replaced by lengths of used bridge timbers wedged into the side sill channels. This allowed the railroad to recapture the majority of steel scrap, and reduced the weight the farmer had to haul by several tons. Unfortunately, it doesn't leave much for preservation. Every single Q boxcar shed I've found has the telltale sign; a large dark rectangle in the middle of the end sill that indicates the centersill is missing. This is usually visible from the road, so not even any need to bother the owners with questions.