It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Big Boy Excursion across Cajon Pass
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:38 pm 

TRAINS Newswire just posted that two public one-way excursions will take place with 4014 over Cajon Pass on Oct 12 & 13. There will be no photo runbys or opportunities to get off the train. Coach tickets are $700 and dome and first class are up (way up). It will be interesting to see how many people buy tickets with no photo opportunities vs chase to get photos for free.

Post subject: Re: Big Boy Excursion across Cajon Pass
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:11 pm 

Coach seats are priced at $700; dome coach seats at $1,100; dome diner lower at $900; dome diner upper, $1,300; first class diner, $1,100; first class lounge, $1,100; and first class dome, $1,500. Office car Cheyenne for a party of eight is $15,000.https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2019/08/09-big-boy-excursion-across-cajon-pass-tickets-on-sale-aug-24

The times are insane. I would have to stay overnight somewhere
The museum also said that buses will board Oct. 12 between 5:30 and 5:45 a.m. to take passengers to the train, that the train would arrive in Barstow mid-afternoon, and the return would be 5:15 p.m. On Oct. 13, buses would board 4:30 to 4:45 a.m., that the train would arrive in West Colton in early afternoon, and return to the Metrolink station would be 3:30 p.m..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:35 pm 

The UP www site also shows a viewing on the 10th and 11th but gives no details. I presume this will be close to the West Colton yards.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:42 pm 

According to a posting on another thread, they cut the Sunday prices in half. I guess they did not get the turnout they expected.
After much soul searching, and considering the number of other trains I have ridden, I decided togive this one a pass.
However, to make lemonade, I found a 2 hour flight over Pearl Harbor in a vintage airplane for about the same price.
There is no law that says you can only have one hobby!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:04 pm 

I rode the excursion from Omaha to Boone... was $400, you could park at the train boarding location and the train left at a normal morning hour. Also was a rare mileage trip that had some pretty cool rail history with the Kate Shelly High Bridge.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:19 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
I rode the excursion from Omaha to Boone... was $400, you could park at the train boarding location and the train left at a normal morning hour. Also was a rare mileage trip that had some pretty cool rail history with the Kate Shelly High Bridge.

i think the off putting thing for me was the logistics of getting there that early in the AM. I live in Ventura County, and it would be about a 2 hr drive to the pickup point at 0 dark 30 in the AM.