It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: EMD Archives
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:08 pm 

I was recently contacted by a person asking where the EMD archives are housed.

There is no EMD public archive that I am presently aware of, although a number of historical societies and a few museums have comprehensive collections of EMD manuals.

One of the best internet collections is on the fallen flags website, look at the link at the bottom of the page:

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/

For those looking for information from manuals and other publicly distributed EMD paper, eBay is an excellent source, and prices have collapsed as the hobby has shrunk.

Information such as that contained in production summaries, pricing books, annual meeting summaries, and specification books sometimes survives in the individual collections and recollections of some of the retirees who worked there, but that pool of information is rapidly shrinking. The relatives of employees who have passed seldom direct those materials to museums, more likely they end up on eBay or in the trash.

Progress Rail still houses most of the former EMD technical information in La Grange Illinois at the plant main office, formerly the Engineering Department building.

PC

Post subject: Re: EMD Archives
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:54 pm 

Its disappointing that a proper archive of EMD (Winton, CDED, Detroit Diesel) was never properly maintained, especially from their rich history.

So much material is now lost to the ages. But as we all know, thats not limited to just this topic.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:50 pm 

Preston,
It is my understanding that they are also using Iron Mountain as a storage vendor at this time for holdings.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:56 pm 

Their primary facility is located almost in my back yard, how ironic. Most or all of that will probably be the Engineering records, many of the historically significant public relations materials were given away or dumped in the late 1970s when a new director of public relations decided they needed more space in the file cabinets. That was when the really choice 1920s through 1960s material went out the door.

PC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:55 pm 

Hi

I too am searching for archives from EMD. As follows:

EMD traded in locos in 1966-1967. A list of .

GM&O traded in the Ingalls 4-S diesel on some new EMD product, SD40s I believe, 22 of them.

Looking for any info and photos of this trade in and any evaluation report and negotiated price for the Ingalls.

Later sold? to Pielet Bros. Sadly. Any info on this?

Thankyou

Charles Harris