It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Charters
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:17 pm 

Strasburg R R and RR Museum of PA are not, repeat NOT, in Ronks.

Both now have their mail handled through the Post Office in Ronks. I suspect Strasburg USPS no longer handles street delivery. Valley Forge National Park has a mailing address of King of Prussia instead of Valley Forge for the same reason.

I did not see a parking fee for Thomas. I don't think there's a parking fee for the charters either; Strasburg R R puts an asterisk on the events that have a parking fee and the Lerro charters don't have an asterisk. I should note Strasburg converted some of their parking lot into a transload facility.

Ronks struck me years ago when I concocted a story that it initially had a long German name until the first GG1 sounded for the crossing and the town fathers thought the horn sound made a much better name: Ronks.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:11 am 

I’m not saying you’re wrong... I’m just saying that google maps says Ronks PA for both street addresses. I’ve always considered them to be in Strasburg.

It’s interesting that they begin charging a parking fee for 611 events... it’s pretty silly anyways, the crossings are public property, if you want to see the 611 you can see it for free. There will be some free loaders, and there will be people like me who buy multiple photo charters, it’s all gonna even out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:20 am 

EJ Berry wrote:
Strasburg R R and RR Museum of PA are not, repeat NOT, in Ronks.

Both now have their mail handled through the Post Office in Ronks. I suspect Strasburg USPS no longer handles street delivery. Valley Forge National Park has a mailing address of King of Prussia instead of Valley Forge for the same reason.

Ronks struck me years ago when I concocted a story that it initially had a long German name until the first GG1 sounded for the crossing and the town fathers thought the horn sound made a much better name: Ronks.
It's complicated.

The Strasburg Rail Road is in Strasburg Township (the donut surrounding Strasburg Borough), in an area that is served by the Ronks post office, so the mailing address to our facility and google maps both get here by putting in 301 Gap Road, Ronks, PA 17572.

The Rail Road's official mailing address is P O Box 96, Strasburg, PA. Note that the Strasburg Borough Post office has never delivered to our physical address (because it is handled by Ronks), and actually, Ronks has only began delivering to us in the last few years. Previously, mail delivered to 301 Gap Road, Ronks would be returned as undeliverable, don't ask me why.

Back in the good old days, deliveries were addressed to "Rt. 741 east, Strasburg", but that won't do in the age of Google Earth.

Segueing into the discussion about parking fees for #611 events, (note that I had nothing to do with this decision) this is from the Urban Dictionary:

Ronk:
To screw someone over, seemingly unintentionally, though it may be either deliberate or not.