It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any news on Geigertown Railroad Museum?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:18 am 

I live relatively close to the old Geigertown Ry. museum, and all info online is from at least 3 years ago. I would like some current information, and with all of the varied people here, I am wondering if anyone directly or indirectly related to the museum is on here. I feel like this is another Fred Kepner case, but with more hope. One thing I want to say to the guy is, with all due respect, that I think his son would've wanted him to continue work on the museum in his memory. All people get old, some seem sooner than others, and what will happen when the owner passes? Will it all get sold at auction and scrapped? I want to give this beautiful little museum some hope for the future, and get some solid info on it to maybe give it more hope. There is a lot of cool and unique equipment there, and I feel a place right outside of a major area like that could work very well. The stuff there will just sit and rust away otherwise. If anyone can get straight to the horses' mouth on this one, it would be great, but I also just want to know if there is talk of anything new, or any opportunity.

Anyone Else Nostalgic for things they were born 80 years late for?

Post subject: Re: Any news on Geigertown Railroad Museum?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:58 am 

Dave's brother Paul is honoring his brother with a statement on the locomotive. posted 3/23/19
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10213683100616460&set=pcb.10213683112176749&type=3&theater
Mike Tillger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:47 pm 

glad to see the museum isn't completely dead!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:03 am 

The Geigertown Central Railroad & Museum acquires a antique 1930’s built Plymouth locomotive from McHugh Locomotive & Equipment. The small 30 ton mechanical drive locomotive had previously been in storage untouched for well over 35 years. In late 2018, J.C. McHugh agreed to sell the locomotive for one dollar to the Shirey family. The agreement of sale terms include that the locomotive can not be resold, transferred, or leased, to any for profit corporation, private individual, 501C3 non-profit corp., railway group, museum, and or be scrapped. The sales agreement terms also include that if the Shirey's can no longer take proper care of the locomotive or if they no longer desire to own it, that the locomotive will be sold back to the McHugh family for one dollar.

On 28 January 2019, the locomotive was placed into the McHugh facility located in Fairless Hills PA so an inspection of the unit could be made and the unit was found to be in relatively fair used condition. The Shirey's approved to have some additional minor repairs and adjustments preformed to the locomotive that included servicing the old gasoline pony motor and CAT 130000 diesel engine.

On 4 February 2019, the antique locomotive was fired up and successfully moved under its own power at the McHugh facility. The little Plymouth locomotive nicknamed “Tinkerbell” has been painted in a bright red and flat black color scheme with “GEIGERTOWN CENTRAL RR” placed on each side of the engine hood. The Shirey family had a special request that the McHugh’s were very happy to help them with by placing “In Memory of D.J. Shirey” on each side of the cab and to also number the locomotive 7767 representing the late D.J.’s birth date.

On 23 March 2019, “Tinkerbell” was transported to Geigertown PA were a crowd had gathered to see the locomotive arrive at its new home. D.J.’s mother Janice, brother Paul, father Dave, and several friends, were also in attendance. As the tractor trailer pulled on site with the 7767, photographs and video’s, were taken to documented the days activities. The group watched the locomotive as it traveled from the trailer down a rail ramp system onto the track and operate over a short section of the railroad. JC McHugh’s two eldest grandsons Joshua and Darin also participated in the event.

The folks at the GCRM then utilized the 7767 to move a derelict GE 45 ton locomotive to a location where it could be removed from the property. The GE 45 ton locomotive will be transported by truck to the McHugh Locomotive & Equipment facility at Fairless Hills PA in the near future.

The Giegertown Central Railroad & Museum plans to operate 7767 coupled to a small 4 wheel railcar on special occasions to provide invited guest a train ride.

Attachments:
77673.jpg
77673.jpg [ 57.85 KiB | Viewed 9083 times ]
77672.jpg
77672.jpg [ 110.78 KiB | Viewed 9083 times ]
77671.jpg
77671.jpg [ 57.46 KiB | Viewed 9083 times ]

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:35 am 

I hope this means more potential for the future. Hey, I want a locomotive for one dollar!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:51 am 

Geigertown Central Railroad & Museum, will become the new caretakers for the Mack 4 locomotive. After the restoration of Mack #4 in 2008, JC McHugh has been approached on several occasions to sell or donate the rare boxcab locomotive to various railroad museum groups or private parties. During late 2018 an offer made by Dave & Paul Shirey to purchase Mack #4 for the amount of one dollar with specific terms and condition of sale that were acceptable to both the McHugh’s and Shirey’s. The terms of the sale pertaining to Mack #4 stipulates that the locomotive can not be: sold, leased, traded, or loaned to any: corporation, non-profit organization, or private party, nor can it be scrapped. This agreement also includes that if the GCRM or Shirey’s no longer desire Mack 4, that the locomotive will be sold back to the McHugh family for the amount of one dollar. The McHugh family plans to display Mack #4 one final time at the Antique Truck & Historical Equipment show located in Macungie PA on the 14th & 15th of June 2019. The old boxcab locomotive will then be transported by the McHugh Company to the Geigertown Central Railroad & Museum and the Shirey family will become the new caretakers of Mack #4.
https://www.mchughlocomotive.com/wp-con ... 00x256.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:45 am 

As I recall Mack 4 has some box car trucks, does 5 still have the Taylor trucks?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:49 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Meanwhile, for the rivet-counters, here's what arrived at McHugh FROM Geigertown:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1401008 ... 498951340/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:07 pm 

RCD said:
Quote:
As I recall Mack 4 has some box car trucks, does 5 still have the Taylor trucks?

Um, I think you might be confused. Per the McHugh website, they acquired 3 and 4. Both were without trucks, although long time RYPN readers may recall that the pair on the 4 went to the Shelburne Falls combination passenger-baggage interurban car. I don't know what happened to the trucks from the 3, it looks like they might have been disassembled and maybe parts were lost? It is too bad these restorable locomotives became parts kits and then were almost scrapped. I am not even sure if McHugh still has the 3, as they say this in referring to the 4 on their website:
Quote:
Both of the boxcab’s were also missing truck assemblies, so the saved unit was placed onto a set of powered locomotive crane truck assemblies.

see below:
https://www.mchughlocomotive.com/historic-and-rare-mack-boxcab-locomotive-saved-from-the-flames-of-the-scrappers-torch/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:16 pm 

If I recall correctly, upon purchase by McHugh any usable parts from 3 were stripped and the remains, basically just the body and frame, were scrapped on site at Kempton.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:23 am 

I'm not expecting much, if anything, to come from this but I made it and am sharing it around. Don't feel obligated to donate. (I haven't, as I don't have any money) I just wanted to make it to spread awareness of the place.
Thanks,

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:24 am 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 5250515975

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:12 am 

TrainMan05 wrote:
Geigertown Central Railroad & Museum, will become the new caretakers for the Mack 4 locomotive. After the restoration of Mack #4 in 2008, JC McHugh has been approached on several occasions to sell or donate the rare boxcab locomotive to various railroad museum groups or private parties. During late 2018 an offer made by Dave & Paul Shirey to purchase Mack #4 for the amount of one dollar with specific terms and condition of sale that were acceptable to both the McHugh’s and Shirey’s. The terms of the sale pertaining to Mack #4 stipulates that the locomotive can not be: sold, leased, traded, or loaned to any: corporation, non-profit organization, or private party, nor can it be scrapped. This agreement also includes that if the GCRM or Shirey’s no longer desire Mack 4, that the locomotive will be sold back to the McHugh family for the amount of one dollar. The McHugh family plans to display Mack #4 one final time at the Antique Truck & Historical Equipment show located in Macungie PA on the 14th & 15th of June 2019. The old boxcab locomotive will then be transported by the McHugh Company to the Geigertown Central Railroad & Museum and the Shirey family will become the new caretakers of Mack #4.
https://www.mchughlocomotive.com/wp-con ... 00x256.jpg

Interesting. A year later, this still had not happened. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1401008 ... 827501471/