It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 6 automobiles collided as UP #4014 rolled through Beryl,UT
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:11 pm 

A short excerpt of an article posted on the St. George (Utah) News website:
Quote:
ST. GEORGE — A six-vehicle crash in Beryl may have had something to do with the world’s largest steam locomotive, Union Pacific’s “Big Boy,” which rolled through the small town Saturday afternoon.

A battery of emergency personnel were dispatched to a six-vehicle pileup on a frontage road that runs parallel to train tracks in Beryl. Emergency crews found the tangled vehicles scattered across the roadway, including a Ford pickup truck, three SUVs, a vintage car and a passenger car.
Link to the full article text and video:
6 vehicles collide when world’s largest steam locomotive, ‘Big Boy,’ rolls through Beryl

Post subject: Re: 6 automobiles collided as UP #4014 rolled through Beryl,
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:42 am 

Hi All

We have all been on Fan trips whether it be Steam or Diesel, and there are always the ones the chase the train. Steam seems to attract the most when it comes to these Fan Trips.
It does not matter if the Fan Trip is sponsored by the Railroad, or and employee Fan Trip. Steam is an attractive nuance, and in turn, you get the ones who would rather chase the train instead of riding it.
I have been on a few trips, in the Northeast, and the South, when the chase becomes dangerous, either trying to get that certain video shot or camera shot, or just trying to stay ahead of the train, or the other train chases.
Please don't me wrong either I have been on those chase trips, chasing the C&O 614 and the Milwaukee Raod 261, and everyone is trying to get to that special shot location, etc.
So I am as guilty as the next person, but when the chase turns into an accident scene, nobody wins.
I am just stating my two cents, maybe some of you will agree with me, and some will not.
Steam is that attractive nuance, it will always be, and especially when you or I are chasing, STEAM.
We tend to watch the Locomotive more than the road, and that is where the problem begins. OK, I have said enough, Pat.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:00 pm 

Nuance? I'd say the Big Boy is more of a huge event. Attractive either way, but.......

Or, did you mean "nuisance?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:16 pm 

Hi Dave
I meant to say nuisance, Thank you for the correction, Pat. Yes, Dave, I do agree with you that the Big Boy is a big event.
But these big events, do also carry the sign of the times, which is the high liability that someone could get hurt, fall on the rails, etc.
At Strasburg, PA with the N&W 611, when I was talking to one of the Steam crew, Safety and liability of anyone getting hurt, was the biggest matter.
I belong to a Live Steam club here in New England, we are always looking for ways, to make the general public feel and be safe, around our coal-burning locomotives. Pat.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:48 pm 

Anyone who intends to follow or train chase using a vehicle needs to have a minimum of two people-a designated driver and the videographer. The driver should understand that they are responsible of operating the vehicle in a responsible manner. The folks in Utah are fortunate that this incident only ended in injury. Death doesn't take holidays or weekends off.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:49 pm 

That's what scares me, is somebody videoing or taking stills while driving next to the engine in a bumper to bumper mob of people, many of whom are doing the same thing !!!! Can't believe nobody's been killed yet.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:41 pm 

One of our trainmen brought it to my attention after one runby that a passenger had literally sat in the middle of the Gordon Street crossing to get a photo of the train. That's when our road laid down rules for photo runbys.

You have to be super attentive whenever the uninformed public is around passenger trains. I had one case at the museum where a man had put a coin on the track. He literally started to reach under one of the tender's wheels to retrieve the squashed coin. The instant I saw him doing that, I shouted at him to get his hand out of there. No sooner had he jerked his hand back, the locomotive started to move off. When I got up to where he was, I bluntly stated to him "You just came within a fraction of a second of losing your hand" and left it at that. I could see the expression on his wife's face and that expression communicated to me that I need say no more.