It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Active restorations and capital projects
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:31 am 

Quote:
Colebrookdale Railroad PA Pottsville depot

The new station being built by Colebrookdale is located in Pottstown. Pottsville is about forty miles away in Schuylkill County on the Reading and Northern. Two additions that should be made are the Allentown & Auburn Railroad's restoration of Sturm & Dillard 0-6-0T 106, and the Lehigh & New England Preservation Society's restoration of LNE S1 611.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:43 pm 

I see up above a question about Mid Continents WC&C #1 {"the Montreal"}. While once in a while there is some movement on this project it is pretty much dead in the water and has been for 15 yrs or so. There is an attempt by one member to rebuild the front truck so we can eventually put this back on its wheels. But so far just accumulating the parts in one general area, clearing out a work space. Some parts were built up and rough machined in the last few years. Some parts were sand blasted and painted again. They sat outside for a couple years and needed touching up. But all the parts are now back at MC so that is good. With no heat in the building or work allowed during the winter months all is just about stopped on that. Other than the front truck and consolidating parts in one of three locations not much is happening here or has for the last 15 years or so.

On a much brighter note though. A lot of infrastructure projects have been completed this year and all this is something short of a miracle to me. These items were expensive and in dire need. I think they should be added to the Arrons list.

#1. The Seely Creek bridge was completely replaced with a modern concrete and steel bridge. Not very old time looking but it is new and we needed a new bridge from top to bottom. This was donated by the Wagner Foundation. MC could not afford to replace the bridge by themselves. So many thanks again to WF. The year before 2018 despite two nearly record floods our Baraboo River bridge was replaced in almost all its entirety. Again Wagner Foundation to the rescue.

https://www.midcontinent.org/media-page/

#2. The new display building #2 was finally completed after many delays do to weather. Wi has had two record years of rain in a row. Last years two near record floods in a week and half slowed everything down, including construction and excavating. There was an incredible amount of excavating for this project along with drainage issues so the rain put the completion way back as far as completion. So it is finally in operation so to speak and quite a bit of our wooden fleet and a few steel cars are now under a roof and on display. This has been mentioned in earlier threads but not on the above "list". The project was a donation from the Laurence Dorcy Estate. Many thanks to the late L. Dorcy and all the people involved who made this happen. MC has needed another building for a long long time. Probably could use one or two more like this. My opinion not my money!

https://www.midcontinent.org/coach-shed ... mber-21st/

#3. A rail contractor was hired to do the track work and modifications for our new building. They too were sidelined by flooding and rain. Many regional RR had a bad two years do to the rain as well. When coach shed #2 was nearly completed they were hired to reballast and level the entire 4 miles of main line. The year or two before the same company replaced ties and some bad rail on that same 4 miles. I do not think the track has looked this good since it was laid back in the turn of the century and no doubt looks better than ever before. A lot of drainage issues were addressed. This is not as sexy as restoring a steam engine to running condition but in the end may be more important period. These completed projects to MC infrastructure is huge. Many people will not see the track work or new bridge as it is underneath them when they ride. But anybody with a business sense knows the importance of these improvements. There has been little published about who donated the funds for this track work. It was not cheap. Rumor is one of the BOD financed the track work? But I cannot confirm this. But a thank you for an incredible gift. The donor takes a very private stance on his donations. MC manager took aerial video of the new track work after completion. On second link about mid page there is pics of the Seely Creek bridge and the ballast work.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... HCIprM-A37

I think these "capitol improvements" should be noted. I am not a spokesperson for MC so if some of my statements are off somebody can correct me. There are more smaller projects in the works but I will not bring them up here and now. Again these completed project may have been mentioned on earlier threads but were not on the Arrons list that I saw. Along with the #1385 project and the many accomplishments of MC Restoration Dept. Regards, John.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:09 pm 

Regarding the new Seeley Bridge and car display building at Mid-Continent, go to heritagerail.org and you'll see them recognized as part of my latest post on achievements completed during the last year. I do a recap post of completed projects every year about this time after presenting it at the HRA Fall conference (next September we're holding it near Hartford, CT. You should stop by.).

The purpose of this list is to find all the projects that are active but haven't been completed yet. FYI, we're now over 300 and counting.

Aaron Isaacs, editor
HeritageRail Alliance

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:27 pm 

Sorry for my confusion Aaron. If it is unfinished projects you desire this could "take years and cost thousands of lives". Guess my own personal goal is "projects completed" so I missed the part of "projects not completed or on going". I might resemble this remark. Thanks for what you do, thanks for the invite to Hartford. I won't be going anywhere for a while but wish I could be there. Surprisingly I really liked CT. Regards, John.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:35 pm 

Aaron,

Thank you for doing this.

Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum (Lenox & Adams, MA)

Boston & Maine 1113 (EMD SW1 built in 1941)
New Haven 42 "Firestone" (Budd RDC1 built in 1955)
Boston & Maine 6126 (Budd RDC 1 built in 1953)
Route 128 Station (Westwood, MA) Solari Board (will be in the only operational Solari board in preservation)

~Brent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:04 pm 

You say "active restorations", does that include individuals or privately funded projects ???

If so, please add: Sammy King, Coronet Phosphate Porter 0-4-2T #6.

Unfortunately, all my efforts and money are being wasted in court procedings right now, but it IS activity, just not the kind I would choose. UP 4014 will be stopping right next to us on November 25, and for those few minutes we will be in the white hot epicenter of the worldwide steam locomotive preservation movement...

Sammy King

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:35 pm 

Sammy,
We don't care who's doing the restoration, just that it's happening. Any background on who owned your engine when it was in service?
Aaron Isaacs, editor
HeritageRail Alliance

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:36 pm 

Aaron -

I don't know if this counts as a capital project, but we've been working on clearing and rehabilitating about two miles of track for the last year and a half at an overgrown facility we purchased in 2015. We still have roughly a half mile to go. As this is a priority, our other restoration projects are on hold.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:34 pm 

Clearing that much track certainly sounds like a capital project and I'll add it to the list. What will you be using the track for? I can't find that on your website.

Aaron Isaacs, editor
HeritageRail Alliance

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:09 am 

We have the following going at C&TS currently:

4 passenger car rehabilitation to secretary interior standards:
Coach 292, 1881, body complete, receiving trucks
Coach 256, 1876, total rehabilitation
Rpo 65, 1886, total rehabilitation
Pay car F, 1878, total rehabilitation

New build five pairs passenger car trucks for above

Locomotive 168, 1883, total rehabilitation just completed

Two new build premium service cars

Six new build coaches

Return steam rotary OY to service

1472 locomotive 489

Complete foundation running gear locomotive 487

Track dept 5,500 ties, 9,000 tons of ballast

And the normal loco and car maintenance.

Best,

Stathi

Stathi

Efstathios I. Pappas, MS
Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad
spappas@cumbrestoltec.com
209 603 7363

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:04 am 

ARM TRAIN editor wrote:
Clearing that much track certainly sounds like a capital project and I'll add it to the list. What will you be using the track for? I can't find that on your website.

Aaron Isaacs, editor
HeritageRail Alliance

The short story:
We own one of the last intact sections of the Cleveland, Akron & Columbus (a PRR subsidiary) main line and adjacent property that at one time was a satellite yard to the main Orrville Terminal. It’s last use was a used rail car sales and scrapping facility. Once all the track is up to snuff, we’ll be able to have more operating events with equipment next on the restoration hit list, in no particular order, funds dependent:

PRR N-5C caboose #477928 for caboose rides.

ACL “Baltimore” 48 seat diner for catered “Diner in the Diner” special events.

An operating demonstration wreck train featuring B&O X-216 250T diesel locomotive crane (both engines now run), C&O #W-88 boom idler and B&O #X-4562 tool car (originally E7C baggage/express car #291).

USATC Alco RSD1 #8050 that served in Iran during WWII.

Other equipment will be serviced/restored as funds allow.

We currently have enough track available to run single car moves on a two mile “loop” throughout most the property with our restored Plymouth DL8. Motor cars have access to all the trackage. Our GP7u is currently restricted to rehabbed side track and most of the main. We recently had our first successful operating event open to the public on this property.

There is some info on the current website News page and Schedule page. The new website under construction will have much more info available.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:52 am 

Also, a personal project, whitepass and Yukon 61 rebuild to service. Drivers are all turned, new doorsheet going in as of yesterday, new spring rigging being fabricated, new main crank pins, lead truck rebuilt, etc. for info and updates go to:

https://www.facebook.com/Stocktonlocomotiveworks/

Stathi

Efstathios I. Pappas, MS
Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad
spappas@cumbrestoltec.com
209 603 7363

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:30 pm 

Aaron,

Thanks for your interest --- My engine was built as an 0-4-0T in 1913 by HK Porter for Florida's Coronet Phosphate Company, which was at the time owned by a French Company. She can be seen in the photo of the Porter erecting shop floor, which was used for the cover of the reprinted, annotated version of the Porter catalog. She was replaced by diesels in 1959, and I bought her from the Hoosier Valley RR Museum four years ago.

More information can be found on steamlocomotive.info

Sammy King

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:39 pm 

Arcade and Attica is overhauling their 2-8-0. Last I heard the boiler was coming off the frame and going to a shop in Syracuse for repair.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:26 pm 

Aaron:
Please add for Stewartstown Railroad:
Restore Ex-Reading 72 seat coach #1158
GE 80-ton Centercab Diesel #12
Ex-Erie RR Railbus #300
Ex- Lehigh Valley center cupola caboose

Does track equipment rate a line item:
Plasser Tamper
Harsco Tie Inserter MBTX
Jackson 2300 Tamper
Kalamazoo Motorcar

Thanks,
David Williamson

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next