It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Merry Christmas to CN
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:46 am 

This has been the 100th year of the CNR.
It's purpose of amalgamating a hundred bankrupt Canadian railroads into the functioning North American giant we see today, has been fulfilled.
A big part of my childhood memories was being taken by mom on a Peter Witt streetcar and getting off at Eaton's in downtown Toronto.
Those Christmas windows, to a five year old lad like myself, and my little sister...really were magical.
Then we rode up a brass elevator to Toy Land.
Where we got to ride a train through an enchanted forest.

To my very great surprise, and I only found this out recently, Looks like CN built in their own shops.
And a very good replica of 6400 it is.

Does anyone know its history, or where it ended-up..?

Attachments:
Eatons Train .jpg
Eatons Train .jpg [ 165.24 KiB | Viewed 6358 times ]
window725-2.jpg
window725-2.jpg [ 68.41 KiB | Viewed 6358 times ]
CNR 6400.jpg
CNR 6400.jpg [ 191.67 KiB | Viewed 6358 times ]
091108archivetaim1-710984.jpg
091108archivetaim1-710984.jpg [ 103.25 KiB | Viewed 6358 times ]
2017109-toronto-1950s-peter-witt.jpg-resize-_opacity_100-frame_bg_color_FFF-h_2500-gravity_center-q_70-preserve_ratio_true-w_1400_.jpg
2017109-toronto-1950s-peter-witt.jpg-resize-_opacity_100-frame_bg_color_FFF-h_2500-gravity_center-q_70-preserve_ratio_true-w_1400_.jpg [ 287 KiB | Viewed 6358 times ]
090811archivetaim-780796.jpg
090811archivetaim-780796.jpg [ 131.74 KiB | Viewed 6358 times ]
window725-1.jpg
window725-1.jpg [ 67.44 KiB | Viewed 6358 times ]
CN 100 Logo.jpg
CN 100 Logo.jpg [ 56.08 KiB | Viewed 6358 times ]
cn 100.jpg
cn 100.jpg [ 132.02 KiB | Viewed 6358 times ]

Post subject: Re: Merry Christmas to CN
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:20 am 

It's in Delson I believe.

And it was built in CN's shops.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:49 am 

CN just sent all of its employees a rather large 100th anniversary hardcover history book. Looked pretty decent.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:55 am 

There were actually 3 locomotives at Eatons made by the railways - Montreal, Toronto and Winnipeg. Not to be outdone by the CNR, CPR made a 4-6-4 Hudson to run in the Winnipeg Eatons and a 4-4-4 Jubilee for the Montreal Eatons .

The 4-8-4 is part of the collection at Delson, the CPR Hudson is part of the Canada Science and Technology museum collection in Ottawa and the Jubilee got scrapped.

https://www.exporail.org/can_rail/Canadian%20Rail_no509_2005.pdf

Thom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:07 pm 

I think this is appropriate,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtvAUm4e5so

Robert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:51 pm 

When I clicked on Robert's link, I found this alongside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GbiHiK5W8U

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:31 pm 

Al Crisp here; I am sitting here looking at a B & W photographers shot of me on Santa's knee in I would say 1947.Some where in my parents old stuff I am sure there must be shots of the CNR Train ,as I have photos of me taken about 4 years latter in my Roy Rogers cowboy out fit both in the saddle and under the horse. My riding skills always have been somewhat suspect. I loved going there as it meant a day away from school for a major expedition from our new built home in suburban Islington to downtown Toronto. This was in the days before Toronto had the east west Bloor Danforth Subway line so it was TTC street cars and buses downtown and (Grey Coach) TTC buses in the burbs. The trains of both CPR and CNR which still ran on close to commuter timetables were well used as the precursor to GO.
As I said my mom and I made these excursions[without the annoyance of my sister]starting with a local taxi to the old CPR Islington station. Table 53 listed four stopping trains a day 705;6;7;8 on the Owen Sound run and another coupler Dayliners that could be flagged by the agent for London or Windsor.
At about 11;37 am I can remember the banging of the steps and Dutch doors and the big trip downtown was under way behind a G 1 or G 5 pacific if it was steam or A MLW RS -10 or on rare occasions a FP 9. My dad worked for CPR at the Royal York Hotel so a company rail pass was the ticket for us. He would leave for work about the same time and go to his parking spot at the John Street roundhouse. We would meet him at the Princess Lounge in the basement of the hotel and he would introduce us to anyone who happened to be there. The Princess was the premier watering hole in the chain so my dad's client's could be anyone in the NHL;CFL ; the big banks , business or indeed Buck Crump himself. Mom at that time was a real looker and had a good job with the township of Etobicoke
From there we would make our way up Queen Street and the big department stores. Eaton's and Simpson's sat imposingly across from one another on Queen just west of Yonge surrounded by lesser stores like Woolworth's. Our main choice for shopping was Eaton's as Grandma worked in the mail-order department.Not to mention the train in the toy department even though it was CNR Anything you did not wish to tote home was boxed and carted to the shipping in the mail-order for home delivery the next day on the daily parcel van or the big appliance truck if so needed.
Shopping done we would start for home, only by public transport. We would ride north on the new Yonge Street subway to the Bloor station were we would transfer to the Bloor west bound street car to the Jane street loop, the end of zone 1. During rush hours the Bloor cars mostly ran in tandem sets with the driver in the second car acting as conductor only. If it was real busy I might get lucky and a sett of the old Peter Witts would be in service and they made for a more interesting ride for me. At the Jane loop we would take the Kingsway bus out to Kipling in Etobicoke and in later years the Angelsey bus which was closer to home. I always tied to hold out for a Brill or a Twin Coach during the rush hour extras. Good memories from way back when. THX Al CRISP MMR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:19 pm 

al crisp
You covered a lot of ground there. Thanks for sharing.
In many ways echo's my own childhood.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:34 pm 

RoyalwithCheese
That link you shared was extremely useful.
Like how the electric drive-system was hidden under the first car.
And how it used dual-gauge trackage.
The cars were wider than the engine.
You can see it in the b&w photo's.

Also interesting to see, in the endless marketing war between two giants...how fast CPR built a Royal Hudson...and a Jubilee.
And quickly installed them, in other Eaton's Toy Lands, before CN got there.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:03 pm 

BigBoy 4023 and J3a-614.
Yes "Movin On" works quite well.

My entirely personal view.
No other song even comes close to encapsulating the Canadian Railroad Experience like this.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... BA6FhwkwXb

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:32 pm 

Then they made a CBC TV Series.
Based on a well selling history book by famous Canadian writer ..Pierre Burton..
That Series more or less saved the Myra trestles.

Attachments:
CPR 148 Piere Burton.jpg
CPR 148 Piere Burton.jpg [ 63.78 KiB | Viewed 5696 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:08 am 

Nova55 wrote:
CN just sent all of its employees a rather large 100th anniversary hardcover history book. Looked pretty decent.

That book is the best thing they have done to commemorate the 100th anniversary. I've spent quite a bit of time already leafing through my copy.