It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NY&GL disposition of equipment
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:00 pm 

Anyone have details as to auction results of New York and Greenwood Lake RR as regards locos and if anything there is private owned?

Just curious.

Post subject: Re: NY&GL disposition of equipment
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:36 pm 

Very much UTR, I actually hadn't seen anything here about the NY&GL recently, I see they just announced May 1 their intent to abandon the last mile of track and redevelop the land. They had ex-Long Island 7375, a powerpack made from an Alco FA, stored at Passaic at one time, I wonder what happened to it.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/502653/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:02 pm 

A little premature. The railroad was "sold" at a tax sale. The NY&GL has filed with the STB seeking a reversal. It is not clear what the buyer actually purchased in the tax sale, however they have stated they want to abandon everything and then sell some or all of the land for a proposed development.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:51 pm 

Can anyone provide a contact (email and/or phone #) for Jim Wilson?
Same for any private owners of equipment.

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:58 pm 

From a February 24, 2019 article on NorthJersey.com:
Quote:
There was lots of activity and excitement this week in an overgrown lot that takes up half a block on the city's eastern border as workers prepared to remove long-dormant trains — the first of many steps to revitalize the area.

The mix of nine passenger cars and boxcars, two cabooses and two locomotives, which were left on tracks that run through the soon-to-be-defunct New York and Greenwood Lake Railroad terminus at Passaic and Sixth streets, will be towed out of the area by early next week.
and
Quote:
Once placed along the tracks, the trains and cars will be towed down the center of Monroe Street in Garfield and onto the Main Line, where they will be taken to Operation Toy Train locations. Volunteers from that group will restore the rolling stock, which will be used throughout the state. Toys for Tots, which runs a train toy drive, will use some of the equipment.

Link to full article: Passaic is ready to move abandoned trains to revitalize the area. Here are the next steps

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:07 pm 

The article leaves a lot of holes in it. Obviously "Toys for Tots" doesn't do railroad equipment restoration.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:22 pm 

The ex-LI cab unit in the photo is this:

616 - Survives - FA1 - SPS 860A-1, SP&S 860, BN 4108 - Built February 1949 - Builder Number 76675

Attachments:
blackhawk slide sp&s fa-1 860 1965.jpg
blackhawk slide sp&s fa-1 860 1965.jpg [ 98.65 KiB | Viewed 11779 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:59 am 

diningcartim wrote:
The article leaves a lot of holes in it. Obviously "Toys for Tots" doesn't do railroad equipment restoration.

Ok, here's the ACTUAL story.

The NY&GL equipment is in the process of beeing donated to Operation Toy Train: https://www.operationtoytrain.org/

A good friend of mine is handling the donation.

He has a list of the equipment and has inspected it all.

Some of it will be retained for use by OTT.
Some of it will be sold.
Some of it may be donated to appropriate organizations.
And some of it, that which is too far gone to economically move or restore, will be scrapped to pay for the relocation of the parts being retained.

Expect some announcements with details shortly. In the meantime, if you're interested in something in the collection, send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:36 pm 

I'm one of the three members of the board of Operation Toy Train. All three of us got into this through our involvement in railroad preservation, and we are currently working to preserve and operate a Conrail caboose, a Chessie caboose, and an ACL baggage car in their original colors and configurations. So, while preservation is not our main focus, we certainly strive to achieve it wherever possible.

Due to some restrictions related to our ongoing negotiations, our official word on the NY&GL is thus:

"A recent news article on NorthJersey.com states that Operation Toy Train is receiving ownership of several pieces of rail equipment once owned by the New York & Greenwood Lake Railway. We can confirm only that we are in negotiations for the receipt of this equipment, and no agreement has been signed as of today (2/25/2020). The disposition of any NY&GL equipment we may receive has not yet been determined. Updates will be posted on our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/OperationToyTrain/) as they become available."

Director, Operation Toy Train
Director, New England Steam Corporation
President, The Garbely Publishing Company

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:14 pm 

Ed Kapuscinski wrote:
diningcartim wrote:

Ok, here's the ACTUAL story.

The NY&GL equipment is in the process of beeing donated to Operation Toy Train: https://www.operationtoytrain.org/

A good friend of mine is handling the donation.

He has a list of the equipment and has inspected it all.

Some of it will be retained for use by OTT.
Some of it will be sold.
Some of it may be donated to appropriate organizations.
And some of it, that which is too far gone to economically move or restore, will be scrapped to pay for the relocation of the parts being retained.

Expect some announcements with details shortly. In the meantime, if you're interested in something in the collection, send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with him.

Ed, do you know if that list of equipment includes the pieces in Port Jervis? The RS-3, E unit and passenger cars there? Not sure if those are being handled separately from the Passaic pieces.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:23 pm 

MEC_557 wrote:
Ed, do you know if that list of equipment includes the pieces in Port Jervis? The RS-3, E unit and passenger cars there? Not sure if those are being handled separately from the Passaic pieces.

Yes it does.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:54 pm 

WOW! Never expected that. Thought it was just the items stuck on the property in Passaic.

Ed Kapuscinski wrote:
MEC_557 wrote:

Yes it does.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:30 pm 

Does anyone know the heritage of the baggage car in Passaic (NYGL 200)? I've heard everything from Erie to Reading to Canadian National, and it's not obvious (to me, anyway) by looking at it.

Director, Operation Toy Train
Director, New England Steam Corporation
President, The Garbely Publishing Company

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:52 pm 

rudystrains wrote:
Does anyone know the heritage of the baggage car in Passaic (NYGL 200)? I've heard everything from Erie to Reading to Canadian National, and it's not obvious (to me, anyway) by looking at it.

Jimmy told me one time that it was CN.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:08 pm 

Ed Kapuscinski wrote:
MEC_557 wrote:

Yes it does.

Ed, what's your source for that?

Meghan

Subscribing to my grandfather's philosophy that no case is so weak or cause so harebrained that somebody cannot be found to handle it in exchange for a sufficient retainer up front.