It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SBA Loans for Museums and Non-Profits
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:38 pm 

I am intentionally derailing a discussion lower on fund raising for museums and tourist lines. It is a good discussion and needs to continue, it is a valid topic. So is this one;

As many of you may know, I am a member of the Board or Directors for the Cheyenne Depot Museum. Our Board met the other day and discussed a number of issues including but not limited to cash flow, closures and how we survive this. One thing is for certain; We are all in this together. None of us (orchestra, a community play house, museum, tourist line or any other non profit) is NOT in any better shape than any of the rest of us!

My intention is NOT to engage in a political discussion. I am however advocating and encouraging all museums and tourist lines to look into the SBA loan programs that are being offered as part of the "disaster" plan. Yes, all non-profits and for profits are eligible. GO LOOK AND SEE FOR YOURSELF.

The process is all on line. You have to create an account, then apply for the assistance. This is NOT a bail out. It is a loan. It is an option that most of us would NOT have otherwise had. We (Cheyenne Depot Museum) have gotten the application done, though we have NOT formally asked for funding. Our Board felt is was benevolent action to get the application in, even if we did not make a formal request for funding.

Indeed, all of us that are engaged in non-profit activities will have our hats/hands out for money. Many of us have viable museums and we need some support. I am not advocating bail outs nor the taking of the loans, I am simply helping our industry to see that right now, unlike any other time, there may be help where otherwise we may not have any other options.

NO POLITICS..... just the facts....let's just have a healthy discussion about how we all survive (our museums and lines) this.

If you want help or assistance in navigating the SBA page, please PM me.

info@wrrc.us

Stay healthy, keep your head up, we all win or we all lose, we are all in this together, we fight together, we win together.... we can and we will survive!

Kindly,

JohnE.

Post subject: Re: SBA Loans for Museums and Non-Profits
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:48 am 

John,
Do you have as link to the SBA page in question?
Thanks, Chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:24 pm 

I am employed by History San Jose, a museum located in one of the hardest-impacted areas by the virus as Santa Clara County enacted a shelter in place order two weeks ago.

The timing is devastating. All of our remaining educational programming, multiple classes on each day, have been cancelled for this school year. Rentals at our site(s) are now cancelling for our summer season. We had just increased our efforts toward our annual fundraiser in June.

Our organization will continue after this crisis. The unknown question is in what form and who, like my fellow staff members and myself, will remain a component of the future organization.

We are not alone.

I encourage ALL to think out of the box. Share ideas on forums, such as RyPN, to inspire others.

Thank you for sharing the SBA idea.

WE CAN DO THIS.

Ken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:02 pm 

JCM,

Please send me an email, info@wrrc.us

I'll engage with you and share a bunch of links that may help.

My team and I are watching what is coming out in the new bill. It has many provisions for small business and non-profits. The unfortunate part is, as of this hour (11:00 MDT) the SBA has said that he application pages for the assistance are "still under construction" One of the provisions in the bill is that the loans will be handed out through main street banks and...if you use the money as intended, there are easy forgiveness provisions for small business and non profit.

Thinking outside of the box..... I like the comment. I tend to think that the box is not defined. I tend to think that we need to define the walls of the box...then we can stand up and look outside the box to see what options we have. No....none of us are alone. I have nearly 40 people on staff, 80% laid off right now. I want them all back and I want the work...my Shoshoni plant is in a very hard hit area of Wyoming where every job counts!

I also have duties with the Cheyenne Depot Museum....needless to say, I have many interests in finding solutions right now!

If anybody finds more links or info....post them here. I will as soon as I get them. I am signed up with SBA so I am getting their updates.

Kindly,

JohnE.