It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pennsylvania Narrow Gauge Survivors
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:21 am 

With all the hype about the East Broad Top's second rebirth, I thought it would be appropriate to discuss the other rolling stock from PA's once vast narrow gauge network. I will update this post as more items are added. To fit the criteria for what I'm looking for, the piece of equipment does not have to currently reside in the commonwealth, but must have been built for or operated by a common carrier or industrial narrow gauge railroad from Pennsylvania. To start out:
Common Carriers

East Broad Top
https://web.archive.org/web/20111214035424/http://www.ebtrr.com/equip
https://oldeastie.com/proster.html#loc

Lancaster Oxford & Southern
10 - Gas motorcar built from a coach in 1915. Converted to standard gauge and operated at the Strasburg Railroad.

New Berlin & Winfield
2 - 1906 Baldwin 2-6-0. Under Restoration at the Midwest Central, Mt. Pleasant, IA.

Newport & Shermans Valley
12 - Billmeyer & Small (date?) Waycar on static display in Little Buffalo State Park, Newport, PA.
55 - Billmeyer & Small (date?) Boxcar body as a storage shed at the corner of Apple Street and West McClure Street in New
Bloomfield, PA.
? - Billmeyer & Small (date?) Boxcar as part of a private display along Route 34 West of Liverpool, PA
Boxcar body reported near Blain, PA.

Tionesta Valley
111 - Caboose, homebuilt in 1917. Restored but without trucks at the Connecticut Antique Machinery Association, Kent, CT.

Tuscarora Valley
101 - 1895 Billmeyer & Small Combine. Privately owned, stored at the East Broad Top.

Waynesburg & Washington
4 - 1916 Alco-Cooke 2-6-0. Under restoration at the Greene County Museum, Waynesburg, PA.
6 - 1892 Jackson & Sharp coach. Under restoration at the Greene County Museum, Waynesburg, PA.

Steel Mills & Iron Works

Bethlehem Steel - 36"
7 - 1941 Whitcomb 20-ton. Operational at the National Museum of Industrial History, Bethlehem, PA.
21 - Whitcomb 20-ton (date?). In NMIH storage, potential restoration.
29A - 1957 Plymouth TMDTa. Regauged to 30". In operation at the Omaha Zoo Railroad, Omaha, NE.

Carpenter Technologies - 24"
319 - 1956 Plymouth DDT. Reading Railroad Heritage Museum, Hamburg, PA.
? - 1961 Plymouth DDT. As Wiscasset Waterville & Farmington 52, Alna, ME.

Crane Iron Works - 31"
13 - 1900 Baldwin 0-4-0T. On display at the St. James Historical Society, Lutcher, LA.

Jones & Laughlin - 23"
57 - 1937 Porter 0-4-0T. Stored in Ontario. Purchased by Youngstown Steel Heritage, Youngstown, OH.
58 - 1937 Porter 0-4-0T. Operational at Youngstown Steel Heritage, Youngstown, OH.
60 - 1944 Porter 0-4-0T. Stored in Ontario. Purchased by Youngstown Steel Heritage, Youngstown, OH.
62 - 1944 Porter 0-4-0T. Private ownership, Mead, CO.

National Tube Works - 36"
? - GE 50-Ton (Date?). Operational at the Huckleberry Railroad, Flint, MI.

Phoenixville Iron Company - 36"
? - Porter 0-4-0T (Date?). Static display at the Geigertown Central Railroad, Geigertown, PA.

US Steel - 36"
21 - 1953 Davenport 50-ton. From USS Clairton, PA. Stored at the East Broad Top.

Vanadium Alloys Steel - 36"
2 - 1950 Plymouth DLHT. Greene County Museum, Waynesburg, PA.

Coal Companies

Buck Mountain Coal Company
? - 1930 Vulcan Gas Mechanical. Under restoration at American Industrial Mining, Brownsville, PA.

Delaware Lackawanna & Western Coal Mining Dept. - 36"
28 - 1916 Vulcan 0-4-0T. Later Wanamie 9. On static display at Huber Breaker site, Ashley,PA.

Glen Alden Coal Co. - 36"
4 - 1926 Vulcan 0-4-0T. Rebuilt by Keystone Light Railway Equipment to diesel hydraulic drive. At Six Flags Fiesta Texas as 601.
28 - 1918 Vulcan 0-4-0T. Stored in Merrill, OR as part of the Fred Kepner collection.

Lehigh Coal & Navigation - 42"
39 - 1941 Vulcan 0-4-0T. Display/stored at Malcolm Ottinger Machine Co., Pheonixville, PA.
51 - 1923 Vulcan 0-4-0T. Static display at No. 9 Coal Mine and Museum, Lansford, PA.
82 - 1946 Vulcan 0-6-0T. Stored at Malcolm Ottinger Machine Co., Pheonixville, PA.
83 - 1946 Vulcan 0-6-0T. Stored at Malcolm Ottinger Machine Co., Pheonixville, PA.
? - Second 42" 0-4-0T reported at Malcolm Ottinger Machine Co., Pheonixville, PA. (Likely LC&N; more info?)

Lehigh Valley Coal - 42"
99 (Original number?) - 0-4-0T (Builder, date?) On display sans saddle tank at Knoebels Grove, Elysburg, PA.
117 - 1925 Vulcan 0-4-0T. Converted to tender engine by CP&W. On display at the Pine Creek Railroad, Wall Township, NJ.
119 - 1926 Vulcan 0-4-0T. Stored, Pioneer Tunnel, Ashland, PA.
123 - 1927 Vulcan 0-4-0T. As the "Henry Clay," Pioneer Tunnel, Ashland, PA.

Philadelphia & Reading Coal & Iron - 48"
91 - 1925 Porter 0-4-0T. Heavily modified to 4-4-0 on display at Missouri Sate Fairgrounds, Sedalia, MO.

Miscellaneous Industry

Atlas Powder (Gauge?)
20 - Brookville Gas switcher (date?). Static display in Tamaqua, PA.
21 - Brookville Gas switcher (date?). Static display at the Geigertown Central Railroad, Geigertown, PA.

General Refractories - 36"
? - 1947 Plymouth JCD. As EBT M-4, Rockhill Furnace, PA.

Joyce National Powder - 36"
? - 1965 Brookville gas switcher. Regauged to 24" in 1983. As Bucksgahuda & Western 4 "Joe," St. Marys, PA

New York & Pennsylvania Paper Co. - 36"
2 - 1951 GE 25-ton. Converted to standard gauge. Operational at the Age of Steam Roundhouse, Sugarcreek, OH.

Stephens-Jackson Slate
? - 1924 Whitcomb Fordson. Restored to operaton by American Industrial Mining, Brownsville, PA.

Warner Company - 36"
? - 1969 Plymouth JDT. As EBT M-6, Rockhill Furnace, PA.

Last edited by ColebrookdaleRailfan on Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:32 pm, edited 26 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Pennsylvania Narrow Gauge Survivors
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:32 am 

If that list were to include industrial narrow gauge equipment, it would expand considerably. Lets just start with the four existing J&L Steel Porters, 57, 58, 60 and 62. There are quite a few diesels that worked on PA narrow gauge including all the Carpenter Steel Plymouths, the Davenport at the EBT, the cow and calf set that used to be at the EBT, a 30" gauge Porter on display in Homestead, etc. The National Museum of Industrial History has a couple 36" gauge diesels, one of which operates.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:15 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Strictly a suggestion:

We count the EBT as one giant block, don't tally every last piece of "native" EBT rolling stock "on site."

BUT we should tally up the known EBT rolling stock still elsewhere, including the combine in NJ and the various hoppers that migrated elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:40 pm 

That is exactly why EBT items were excluded from the initial post. I am aware that the steel mills and coal mines employed large numbers of small locomotives, and with little else to do at the moment, taking count is an undertaking I finally have time for. What I need the most help with is those that have been expatriated, or just the obscure. If it isn't on the list, assume I'm not aware of it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:49 pm 

Don't forget the Pioneer Tunnel Coal Mine and Steam Train in Ashland, Schuylkill County, which is a horizontal drift mine that uses a battery mine motor inside the mine and an anthracite-burning 0-4-0T "Lokie" outside on the surface for tours. Both are 3' 6" gauge.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:51 pm 

This list showed about 200 pieces of EBT equipment, when last updated.
https://oldeastie.com/proster.html

Several hoppers were scrapped recently from Mt. Union to advance projects on the WW&F.

The collection of equipment in West Virginia might represent an interesting preservation opportunity, should they ever become available.

The EBT coach at the Tweetsie is one of the best preserved examples from the line.

EBT 20 is formerly from the Big Level and Kinzua Railroad.

Several EBT passenger cars were sold to ALCOA for alum mines in south or central America, perhaps Nicaragua. I always wondered if they survived. A couple of the BRB&L cars went from EBT to Hawaii, but I believe they are long gone.

There are also gads of 42" gauge steam locomotives and mining equipment across the state, including a collection in Phoenixville and a couple (one operating) at Pioneer Tunnel in Ashland (as mentioned by others).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:25 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
o anderson wrote:
There are also gads of 42" gauge steam locomotives and mining equipment across the state, including a collection in Phoenixville and a couple (one operating) at Pioneer Tunnel in Ashland (as mentioned by others).

Pioneer Tunnel has TWO "Henry Clay" lokies--they just ACT like they only have one. (And a pretty good act it is, too, considering how even WE tend to forget about that.)

Are we counting the Pioneer Tunnel's battery mine motor (or several, who knows?) and cars? Any more out there on display in the "coal regions"?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:40 pm 

Location: Granby, CT but formerly Port Jefferson, NY (LIRR MP 57.5)
I believe there is also a Newport & Shermans Valley RR caboose in Blain, PA, on display next to the depot.

-Philip Marshall

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:48 pm 

o anderson wrote:
Several hoppers were scrapped recently from Mt. Union to advance projects on the WW&F.

The WW&F purchased couplers and draft gear from five EBT hoppers in Mt. Union in 2017, but the cars were otherwise left intact and were NOT scrapped.

-Philip Marshall

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:10 pm 

The caboose at Blain is some type of replica, probably not specifically based off an N&SV prototype. https://www.pennlive.com/perry-county-times/2014/06/historic_caboose_may_fall_to_r.html
Quote:
The caboose is not an authentic Shermans Valley railcar, but Shatto explained it is a good representation of what was used during the railroad's heyday.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:12 pm 

There were the two rusting hulk's of narrow gauge diesel pushers at the old Conrail South Philly ore terminal last time I was there circa 2016

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:16 pm 

Thank you for the correction on the caboose in Blain.

-Philip Marshall

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:35 pm 

Now that I am retired, I have lots of time to read about the narrow gauges. Thank you for the mention of the Newport and Sherman's Valley caboose.

I know about several of their passenger cars but did not know of this freight car. always good to know about another car from this important narrow gauge builder from York, Pennsylvania.

Can any of you post a picture of the car in the state park?

Ted Miles, WW&F Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:47 pm 

Pioneer Tunnel

https://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocom ... splay=1006
https://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocom ... splay=1391

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:17 pm 

ColebrookdaleRailfan wrote:
The caboose at Blain is some type of replica, probably not specifically based off an N&SV prototype. https://www.pennlive.com/perry-county-times/2014/06/historic_caboose_may_fall_to_r.html
Quote:
The caboose is not an authentic Shermans Valley railcar, but Shatto explained it is a good representation of what was used during the railroad's heyday.

And there are EBT trucks under it.