It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How (not) to take photos on railroad tracks
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:11 pm 

This youtube video gives tips for takeing photos on railroad tracks https://youtu.be/Gm9SK2_25u4 he even mentiones he almost died. I'm wondering if we could figure out whose tracks he was trespassing on that 80s show the very quick shot of either an E or F Baltimore and Ohio locomotive. We can also asume this took place in Ohio. Maybe a public shaming by the railroad would make these photographers think about what they've done especially if they can't claim copyright to make money on there photos as I'm sure that the law states you cannot profit off a crime (tresspassing).

Post subject: Re: How (not) to take photos on railroad tracks
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:58 am 

Let's maybe do something more productive than screaming into the void. Every time I've tried shaming trespassers myself, I've been met with pure indifference or the attitude of "I'll hear a train before it gets here".

What could be more effective and productive is beyond my thoughts, though. I can't get people to quit either walking down the tracks or smoking on my trains through public shaming.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:03 am 

I was riding with the bulls one day and the photographer went from verbal warning to arrested and booked into jail for arguing.

Worse was some film students chaining an actress between two signal masts thinking the track was abandoned, this was mainline i95 corridor CSX. I called emergency and shut the railroad down when dealing with that mess but at least they were respectful

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:02 am 

This nut is in Akron, OH - The locomotive at 1:07 is CVSR. The coffee bar is in Fairlawn, OH, the shots toward the end of the video are north of the Bath Rd. crossing. So now you know where to watch for him.

Edit - The bridge at 1:05 looks like the one at Memorial Parkway.

Last edited by jayrod on Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:06 am 

What bothers me is the fact that trespassers can sue for injuries. I would like to see all states enact laws that if you are trespassing and get injured you are on you own insurance and if you don't have any than it's out of your pocket and you can't discharge your medical bills thru bankruptcy.
M. Nix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:00 am 

Just posted a comment on the video, bearing in mind the clean up which follows when a person is run over. Just a stupid video with stupid advice for photographers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:51 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
If you want to be self-appointed "Operation Lifesaver" representatives, here's another one to report, try to have shut down, sic the real OL upon, etc.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65Z4d-j8oJE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:42 pm 

When I would come across a trespasser at work (32 years on CNW/UP) after determining if they were In Harm's Way or not and what they were doing I would give them friendly advice about the "police that had just picked up some trespassers a short time ago and we're still in the vicinity ". Of course I was lying sometimes.They oftened thanked me and then skedaddled off the property. If it was someone taking pictures I would tell them when the next train was due and ask them to please stay at least 25 feet away from the closest track, only if they weren't .Again I would get a thank you and cooperation. No yelling or Screaming involved . I became a good guy in their eyes. When you yell at somebody they become defiant and the results are more negative than positive. If people didn't listen ,it's their problem now.Time for me to call the dispatcher then he'd warn the trains and call the local cops. Shame somebody ,really ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:00 pm 

Definitely CVSR, but CVSR does not touch Fairlawn (I live in Fairlawn). The location looks like the bridge over Memorial Parkway in near-West Akron, around MP 43.5 (for those familiar with the railroad, this would be in the middle of the steepest grade on the railroad going up towards Akron Northside station). This trestle was rebuilt about five years ago, so it would have been about three years old when this video was made, which is about how it looks. There also is a park with a parking lot next to the bridge, which would make it easy to access the RoW from. I don't know where the coffee shop is. It very well could be in Fairlawn, although my guess would be either Highland Square or Wallhaven, both nearby, but in the City of Akron. But, yeah the guy is a clueless jerk. Looking at the YouTube comments, most of them are from people telling him so.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:36 pm 

Raise your hand if you had to help the M. E. Pick up the big chunks and watch the fire Dept wash the greasy blood off of the ballast

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:47 pm 

The poster of the video in the initial post seems to frequent the railroad tracks for his photo sessions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9my3pzW ... =emb_title

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:09 pm 

Minor correction to earlier post. Memorial Parkway bridge is about MP 42.5, not 43.5, I was thinking about it in the wrong direction.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:08 pm 

Disclaimer of not having any solid knowledge.....

There are at least a couple railroads out there - one of which I know for sure, and possibly CVSR - that because the ROW is in a 'park', and controlled by a state or federal agency, that what we call 'trespassers' are called 'visitors' by the ROW owning entities. And while they'll warn people to stay off the track, they won't prosecute them as it track in public parkland. CVSR is controlled by the National Park Service.

Having been down there during the 765 runs, they are more than attentive about keeping people back a safe distance and not being criminally stupid about it, but before you think the rail operation is somehow not paying attention, they are a tenant of NPS, not an owner.

For anybody that's currently down there, I very much doubt you'll see any NO TRESPASSING signs up, but I'd like to be wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:25 pm 

Access to the CVSR RoW is a balancing act, since it's in a national park. Every Spring there is a specific ban on walking the RoW between the Brecksville station and Fitzwater yard because there are active Bald Eagle nests in the marshland of The Narrows the park service doesn't want disturbed, to the point that trains are not supposed to sound horn or bell around there either. Believe me, having been around that railroad off and on most of my life, pedestrians/trespassers are something every crew knows to look out for at all times. I have heard stories of "serious" photographers (at least people who think of themselves as such) who have tried to wave off an approaching train from behind them that whistled a warning at them. I think the quote from the engineer was, "I'll show them what a two-stage horn is!". To quote a famous movie line, "Stupid is as stupid does".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:14 pm 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
Every Spring there is a specific ban on walking the RoW between the Brecksville station and Fitzwater yard because there are active Bald Eagle nests in the marshland of The Narrows the park service doesn't want disturbed, to the point that trains are not supposed to sound horn or bell around there either.

I don't think the Eagles really mind the people walking along the ROW. Here in Struthers there is a Bald Eagle's nest in a tree along the Mahoning River and directly across the river is a pipe yard (think clang,clang,clang all day long) and next to that the NS Youngstown line. On the other bank is a log loading operation and the CSX New Castle Sub. The Eagles seem to love sitting on top of the old P&LE light towers watching the action.