It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: N&W 2156 5 year lease
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:22 pm 

BigBoy 4023 wrote:
N&W 2156 really should stay in Roanoke. It has far more historical connection to Roanoke than St, Louis.
Well, that's easy to say when it's not your locomotive, isn't it?
If your group saved something historical and was the only one left of its kind, and your group cared for it for decades, then someone declared it should be with a group who didn't put the time/money into said item just because it was originally used there, how long and hard would you laugh in response?
Don't forget, 2156 wouldn't exist at all today if the St Louis museum didn't step up save it, something no group in N&W country did at the time!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:56 pm 

p51 wrote:
BigBoy 4023 wrote:
N&W 2156 really should stay in Roanoke. It has far more historical connection to Roanoke than St, Louis.
Well, that's easy to say when it's not your
Don't forget, 2156 wouldn't exist at all today if the St Louis museum didn't step up save it, something no group in N&W country did at the time!

Well actually, a group in “N&W Country” tried to save one, but it was cut up. Don’t forget about N&W 2174. Also I forgot about the crack in 2156’s frame. What dangers could this pose in a class 1 move?

Last edited by NS6770fan on Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:51 pm 

The Y3 No. 2050 is at Illinois Railway Museum, not NMOT in St. Louis.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:41 pm 

p51 wrote:
The obvious question must be asked: What if no RR will now move the Y6 back to St Louis now? You sure couldn't truck it back.
As friendly as the Roanoke museum is with NS, you have to wonder if a 'nudge nudge wink wink' deal with NS could be made wherein the RR says, "Nope, not gonna move this," and it then stays in Roanoke...
I'm not saying or suggesting this has happened or will happen, just saying that it wouldn't be a nutty thing to think of happening in the future.

That's almost exactly how VMT "acquired" 1218 from Steamtown.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:02 pm 

This tree has been circled before, here:

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36671&hilit=1218&sid=36bc4bd7a908e036b67737b9bf214779

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:22 pm 

I assume she still sits in Roanoke with no negotiations or talk being done currently?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:03 am 

Quote:
" assume she still sits in Roanoke with no negotiations or talk being done currently?"

And you know about the state of negotiations or talk between MOT and VMT how?

I'm quite certain that if MOT expects the locomotive back in 2020 they are working with VMT (and probably NS and the others) to get it back. In the meantime, I'd be surprised not to find the 'five year contract term' extendable on some terms without 'sacrificing' any right MOT has to request ultimate return of the engine. I'll be the first to say "I don't know" -- but it would be difficult to claim the management of the two museums doesn't know. They certainly don't have to tell RyPN because 'inquiring minds want to know.'

Meanwhile, if you have not been to MOT and seen part of the 'fruit' of this loan in the restored FT pair -- I think it is one of the more significant artifacts in railway preservation in terms of historical importance, and it is a delight to see it given proper attention.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:59 pm 

With the year being almost close to being over, has anyone heard anything? Or has the locomotive been forgotten about? (I doubt that). Also, maybe when she departs, the group who owns the Y3 could send her for a bit of an outing?? One can hope...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:35 am 

NS6770fan wrote:
With the year being almost close to being over, has anyone heard anything? Or has the locomotive been forgotten about? (I doubt that). Also, maybe when she departs, the group who owns the Y3 could send her for a bit of an outing?? One can hope...

Patience is a virtue....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:20 am 

NS6770fan wrote:

I don’t think it’s been forgotten about. However if it’s going to be moved back and the lease isn’t extended, I’d probably expect to hear something by the start of next calendar year.

As for the Y3, why would it have a reason to move? It’s fine where it is, and even though it’s not in true N&W territory, I think all of us would rather it be there sitting indoors at a trusted organization (not that VMT isn’t trusted but their covered track is far less than IRM). Not all N&W equipment has to go to Roanoke. It’s certainly possible it could move in a way like 2156, however the museum in Roanoke would have to trade something to IRM in order for the deal to be fair, and it would probably need to be more than an FT B unit. From what I’ve personally seen online (mainly the IRM steam department Facebook page), Y3 2050 looks like it needs a bit of cosmetic overhaul and it has some missing parts, so unlike 2156 which is in good cosmetic condition, 2050 probably wouldn’t go anywhere until parts are fabricated and at least a cosmetic restoration is completed.

Judging by all the other projects going on over at IRM, I’d say it might be a few years before a true cosmetic restoration of 2050 occurs due to its order in the queue as I like to think of it. A beautiful cosmetic restoration judging by Facebook photos is nearly done or has been completed with the former rust bucket SP 2-10-2, and I’d assume the people over in Union will probably work on a few of the locomotives sitting outside such as the GTW 0-8-0, or the C&O Berkshire from Cleveland before they start work on 2050: an locomotive that looks “good enough” right now to sit indoors compared to some of the other locomotives displayed outside in poor cosmetic condition.

And let’s also remember that IRM is connected to UP rail so you know how hard it is to move steam locomotives over their rail.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:24 pm 

Surprised no one has mentioned this yet:

https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2 ... n-virginia

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:48 pm 

Too bad, Roanoke is a perfect spot.
I remember marching past the scrapyard in Roanoke in 1964 while a Rat (freashman) at VMI enroute to the annual Thanksgiving Day football game with VPI and cutting my eyes to see the steam locomotives then still there. I think there were still the hulks of two Y6's more or less intact in there along with the others. Stripped but intact. Wistfully dreaming but it would have been neat if N&W had preserved the last Y6b, 0-8-0 #244, an A and 611 in front of their shops in Roanoke. Imagine that for a minute.
Just dreamin' of course.
Ned

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:06 pm 

In September 1970, there were two Y-6's in the Roanoke scrap yard and one Y-6 tender. I crawled into the cabs. One was the 2174 and I forget what the other one was.

IMHO, NS will want to discharge the lease as soon as possible, get the Y-6 returned to Kirkwood, and get the matter off the books.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:28 pm 

Given the past, St. Louis would have been wise to put a price on the engine several times its fair value if it is not returned for *any* reason so as to discourage any wink wink to NS to keep the engine there. So high that they'd be getting prices on cranes and drop center flats to move it back by any means necessary.

That said, I can see where it would make sense to stay there. But they better make it worthwhile for St. Louis.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 1:12 am 

The Y6s and tender in the Roanoke scrapyard were there until the mid-'70s. A real tragedy at least one of them wasn't saved.