It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steamlocomotive.info News
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:15 pm 

I've added a new feature to steamlocomotive.info. I call it the Geographic Browser. It now exists in a basic form for each country, province and state in the world. You can read more about it at: https://steaminfo.wordpress.com/2020/07/29/geographic-browser/

This is what its output looks like:

Attachments:
Screenshot from 2020-07-29 18-12-00.png
Screenshot from 2020-07-29 18-12-00.png [ 204.64 KiB | Viewed 4145 times ]

Post subject: Re: Steamlocomotive.info News
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:24 am 

Doug,

Thank you for adding this feature. Whenever I travel, I like to see if there are any steam locomotives near where I will be going. This will make that hunting so much easier.

You may already be planning it but it would be nice to make hyperlinks for locomotive(s) listed at a pin.

Is there a way to update locations? For instance, the locomotives at the Rail Museum of Long Island show as being in Long Island sound.

Roger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:15 am 

R. Hahn wrote:
Doug,

Thank you for adding this feature. Whenever I travel, I like to see if there are any steam locomotives near where I will be going. This will make that hunting so much easier.

Thank you! I hoped that would be an effect of the change.

Quote:
You may already be planning it but it would be nice to make hyperlinks for locomotive(s) listed at a pin.

Yup. After some data cleanup, that's the next thing on my worklist. Two or three weeks, I think.

Quote:

Is there a way to update locations? For instance, the locomotives at the Rail Museum of Long Island show as being in Long Island sound.

Yes there is. It is a pretty simple matter, especially when my attention has been called to it. This is the phenomenon "Strays" I mentioned in the blog post. I will attend to the oopsie you pointed out as soon as I finish this post.

Regards,
Doug

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:17 am 

The marker for RMLI is now back on land. Thanks for letting me know. I look at this stuff so much, and so often that I sometimes miss tiny discrepancies.

I recently noticed, for example, that there are several locomotives in the middle of the south Atlantic. That oops is being fixed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:34 am 

Nice feature. Thank you. One notes that apparently it displays only one state at a time so zooming in to the requested state does not show engines in adjacent states if one slides the map over that way.

You may as well remove NKP 2-8-2 624 from Hammond, IN. The 765 folks rescued her a couple years ago. You'd have to ask them or check fan sites for present location as I don't think it's at their home base.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:24 pm 

filmteknik wrote:
Nice feature. Thank you. One notes that apparently it displays only one state at a time so zooming in to the requested state does not show engines in adjacent states if one slides the map over that way.

Yup...all of the hooks are in the code to allow me to make it work that way, and that is among my planned enhancements. Because virtually all of the mapping is written in Javascript it does place quite a load on your browser, and I want to carefully avoid overburdening people's browsers.

Quote:
You may as well remove NKP 2-8-2 624 from Hammond, IN. The 765 folks rescued her a couple years ago. You'd have to ask them or check fan sites for present location as I don't think it's at their home base.
Steve

I will inquire of them and move the thing as soon as I get an answer. Thanks for helping keep the site up to date.