It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Santa Fe 2651 Heritage Preservation Project - 2nd GP7
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:12 pm 

As of last report by it's main fundraiser, Bob Finan, the projects deposit was 2/3 of the way funded!

Please take the time to check out the page and take the time to donate to save the 2nd ordered GP7 by ATSF. The 1st GP7 was wrecked and then turned into a slug unit.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/santa-fe-265 ... m0q__olPJA

Attached photos are from NRE website https://www.nre.com/locomotive/bnsf3-3837-0

Attachments:
3837B.jpg
3837B.jpg [ 28.59 KiB | Viewed 6227 times ]
3837A.jpg
3837A.jpg [ 24.32 KiB | Viewed 6227 times ]
3837C.jpg
3837C.jpg [ 27.41 KiB | Viewed 6227 times ]

Last edited by ATSFRyan on Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Santa Fe 2651 Heritage Preservation Project - 2nd GP7
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:05 pm 

I notice torpedo tubes (air tanks) on the roof. Was this a passenger engine?

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:30 am 

I believe she was delivered with roof mounted air tanks, but without a steam generator.

They ordered their first several GP7's in this manner, presumably prepared for an easy retrofit by Santa Fe which was done in the early 1950's with steam generators removed from FT B units that were being returned to freight assignments.

Santa Fe's first GP7 (The 2650) wasn't scrapped and was rebuilt as a slug. She was extant into at least the 2010's on the BNSF roster, but may now be gone.

Edit: Looks like she actually was sold off by BNSF slightly earlier. Here's a picture of the slug at her then new owner in 2007.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/429228/

Last edited by LeoA on Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:20 pm 

LeoA wrote:
I believe she was delivered with roof mounted air tanks, but without a steam generator.

They ordered their first several GP7's in this manner, presumably prepared for an easy retrofit by Santa Fe which was done in the early 1950's with steam generators removed from FT B units that were being returned to freight assignments.

Santa Fe's first GP7 (The 2650) wasn't scrapped and was rebuilt as a slug. She was extant into at least the 2010's on the BNSF roster, but may now be gone.

Thanks for the slug information, I updated my post after verification. I was going off of what I had read elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:45 am 

I just checked the GoFundMe page, and the deposit is funded, and more than 10% fully funded before tomorrow’s deposit day! I hope this team makes it to 100% of their goal very soon!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:56 pm 

Just checked Facebook and was sad to see that this project has been canceled. :(

Quote:
August 2, 2020

It pains me deeply to report that due to a myriad of disheartening reasons - the effort to save Santa Fe GP7 2651 (BNSF 3837) - is hereby terminated.

The museum is struggling to keep its doors open during the pandemic - and is truly in a difficult position. They looked at a myriad of different options to raise the asking price for the unit, and rather than place themselves in a precarious position, they had to withdraw from the effort.

They also are deeply grateful for the generous financial efforts to attempt to save the unit, through the “GoFundMe” fundraiser. They are asking a favor, that I am fully behind.

They are in the process of a very expensive restoration of Santa Fe Fairbanks-Morse H-12-44 560. The amount donated for the 2651 preservation project could be a godsend to this effort.

Ultimately, the decision to reallocate the monies rests with the donors. It would be a nightmare to try to refund everyone the amounts contributed.

Unless you contact me before August 15, 2020, with the name in which you provided to the “GoFundMe” fundraiser, I will assume that you are OK with the reallocation. No refunds will be provided after this date. Additionally, amounts under $100.00 will not be subject to a refund. All refund requests can be made through the “GoFundMe” e-mail contact provision.

So, I ask for your support in this alternative effort to help the museum. If you care to send further donations to the museum for the restoration of the 560 project, please send them directly to the museum in Perris, California, and specify on your check that you want your donation to only be used as such.

Respectfully,

Bob Finan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:52 am 

That is disappointing. I'm really surprised that BNSF wouldn't just donate the unit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:39 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Jeff Taylor wrote:
That is disappointing. I'm really surprised that BNSF wouldn't just donate the unit.

BNSF no longer owned the unit. It was in the possession of National Railway Equipment.

In other news, the president/CEO of NRE, Steven Beal, son of company founder Lawrence Beal, passed away unexpectedly at his home last month.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:09 pm 

Jeff Taylor wrote:

They have been approached about donating the Geep in Texas (Houston / Galveston area I believe) that just went south in one of the recent moves and weren't open to it. It had spent its entire life in the Argentine or Topeka area if I remember correctly. It's been a few weeks since it was discussed.