It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cass-Durbin Connection
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:34 am 

Well, the State of WV doesn't make find info easy.
The Trout Run Bridge project on the Cass-Durbin Line was bid last Thursday 7/23/2020 under CRFQ : RMA2000000007. Through West Virginia Rail Authority.
Anyone have a connection where details would be available?
I'm not paying a bid document service fro what should be public info.
Very curious on a start and completion date now that the project has been let. ( Obviously not awarded yet though)

Post subject: Re: Cass-Durbin Connection
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:20 am 

Sent an email to WV Rail Authority and got answers if anyone cares.
Quotes were received on July 23 -and the low - the only bid published was from Landcore Builders in Milton, WV in the amount of 4.451 Million.
Contract once executed will be for One Year so in all probability it will be LATE 2021 until bridge and approaches are all in order and tied into existing rails.
So the line can't be used for this season and most of next.
No idea on why this had to be so painful to get answers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:16 pm 

Thank you for taking the time and effort to get this information. Government involvement guarantees it will take longer and cost more than if they weren't involved.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:30 pm 

If they weren’t involved it would never happen.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:31 pm 

Just frustrates me that the people who knew this information were not forthcoming and even could be labeled disingenuous. Repeatedly telling folks soon, maybe, ect. Regardless, great news and a sincere path forward. Should be quite a ride when finished. Now if I could find out anything on PRR1361 I would be happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:25 am 

It isn't finished yet. Rejoice!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:03 pm 

leward wrote:
Now if I could find out anything on PRR1361 I would be happy

1361 has no government involvement. I guess the folks who automatically trash government involvement should be happy.

OTOH Experience has shown me that any large bureaucracy -- either public or private -- has a unique ability to increase entropy.

Brian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:29 pm 

leward wrote:
Just frustrates me that the people who knew this information were not forthcoming and even could be labeled disingenuous. Repeatedly telling folks soon, maybe, ect. Regardless, great news and a sincere path forward. Should be quite a ride when finished. Now if I could find out anything on PRR1361 I would be happy

When I was there in June, we heard that the original plan was to get bids in early this year. Like most everything else, the virus changed the plans. We were told they were hoping to get everything moving very soon now that things were opening back up. I guess they succeeded! Should be a nice ride whenever it's completed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:24 am 

I would imagine if WV had let the railroad complete the project that it would have
been completed by now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:05 pm 

Not sure is it was the state or the feds. Reading the narrative in the bid documents, "someone" was digging along and spilling dirt into the river. The ground there is National Forest I think, but what work they did unauthorized) got a bee/wasp/yellowjacket in somebodys bonnet that caused the delay. 99% certain the RR would have had it done by now, probably not in the fashion its going to end up, the new bridge will be basically 3 times longer , so able to flow a heck of a lot more water. The original bridge will be left in place probably as to not disturb any more earth near the river.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:23 pm 

leward wrote:
Just frustrates me that the people who knew this information were not forthcoming and even could be labeled disingenuous. Repeatedly telling folks soon, maybe, ect.

Out of curiosity, what's your dog in this proverbial fight? Why spew this potential vitriol? Are you someone involved with the railroad? With the state, or someone looking to get a contract? I can understand researching to find out the status of the bridge contracts and all, but when you start throwing these sorts of accusations out, I start to wonder why...

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:59 pm 

When I send requests or ask for information and am plainly lied to it raises my dander( Cass, Durbin-Greenbrier Restoration, MountainrailWV)
The Durbin FB page as late as last week, deleted my posts (when I called them out) as somebody else posted the question if the connection would be done this year or not. They answered maybe yes maybe no -- and the knew full well it couldn't be done this year. Have visited Cass numerous times, and would go again, but I hate being lied to, and hate seeing pure BS posted. All they have to do is post facts, and I will get off my horse, till then......

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:54 pm 

Hi Lon,

I am not sure what your issue is, but these false allegations are uncalled for. I am sorry you are having trouble finding your previous posts and comments. I can assure you none have been deleted. I typically reply to the less demanding and rude ones though.

The last reply to you through the DGVR Restorations page was prior to the bids being opened, no false or misleading statements were made. Also, no posts have been made on the Restorations page or the other DGVR channels this year that would make people believe that bridge would be completed. We will make a public statement when we have all the facts and a plan of action. It is not our job to speak on behalf of the State of WV.

This has been a challenging season for everyone and we are thankful for those who have showed their support during this shortened season.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:33 pm 

My only goal was to post the facts of the Trout Run Bridge project that were not forthcoming from anywhere else. Period.
If my any of my emails to the offended entities would have been answered with even a glimmer of information, this post would never have seen the light of day. For whatever reason nobody was interested in sharing the info, even though it certainly seems public money is being used. All anyone had to say was the project was being designed by a consultant engineer, and the bids are due July 23. Proposals and documents available _______.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:50 am 

You should cool down a little. The WV State Rail Authority is essentially a volunteer outfit that donates lots of time and thought to what they do. They aren't dealing with lots of money, and they aren't sitting around waiting to answer your questions. I have a personal friend on the Board, and have dealt with them on many issues for years. They do the best they can, so the best thing you can do is shut up and sit down.
Ned