It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Don't Hijack Preservation with Politics
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:21 pm 

Ed Kapuscinski wrote:
Meanwhile, everyone's already heard about the Irish immigrants and it's kinda an old story.
How is it that, with your "logic", the plights of blacks in the US also isn't an 'old story'? Who in the US wasn't already aware of that?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:22 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
p51 wrote:
Ed Kapuscinski wrote:
Meanwhile, everyone's already heard about the Irish immigrants and it's kinda an old story.
How is it that, with your "logic", the plights of blacks in the US also isn't an 'old story'? Who in the US wasn't already aware of that?

Precisely.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:45 pm 

Quote:
Has the banner been cut off the B&M steamer in Lowell yet?

It was reportedly removed the same day it appeared. I don't know who removed it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:49 am 

p51 wrote:
Ed Kapuscinski wrote:

I'm not saying that's the RIGHT tack to take, but what I'm saying it's the cultural zeitgeist.

I'm talking about needing to be in tune with that zeitgeist to maximize your organization's potential.

You can tell the most amazing story, but if people don't care about it, it's pointless.

You need to connect with your audience and potential audience, and you don't do that by ignoring their tastes and interests (however fleeting they may be).

If Civil Rights is in the news, you need to be talking about Civil Rights. If the history of basket weaving is in fashion, you should be having hourly demonstrations of how passenger car seats were woven using similar techniques (I think they were, and even if they weren't).

That's called maintaining relevancy. And the more relevant you are the more successful and "safe" you'll be.

It's why things like Pemberton happen: they didn't do a good job of demonstrating relevancy so when the political winds blew against them there was nobody outside the organization to stand up for them.

It doesn't matter what your feelings on a topic are. It matters what your audiences is.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:48 pm 

Quote:

Yeah, it's a real shame that none of the "fake news" outlets will go down to the Irish ghetto to report on the riots there.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11