It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Supposed photo of 2816 under steam today
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:20 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
A small improvement.

Many thanks for that "tweaking" of the image - it looks a lot better.
Without digging through a storage cupboard, I think I had gravitated to Fuji slide film by then (which I used in decreasing quantities until going fully digital in 2006) and they had all deteriorated to some extent when I scanned them about 6 years ago - although the "scanner" I have is hardly high tech - more a digital camera in a light box type thing!
Needless to say, all my Kodachrome 64 and 200 ones from many years earlier are still as good as the day they were processed.....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:49 pm 

Old Smokey wrote:
Well, things are starting to move. This on the credible 2816 webpage, a few minutes ago..

Quick question - what is "the credible 2816 webpage"?

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:44 pm 

bigjim4life

A recent, and well respected FB page.
"The Empress:CPR2816"
https://www.facebook.com/groups/739764486774612

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:24 pm 

Jonathan Morris seems to be promising us a FAQ of sorts to be put up on that Facebook page, which I expect will address a number of the 'concerns' here so far. (Pity we can't entice him to post directly in this thread... ;-))

Last edited by Overmod on Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:12 pm 

Overmod,
I have found Jonathan responds really well to inquiries.
And personally, would very much like to see 2816 being viewed by a bigger audience.

But he might be a tad busy at the moment. (grin).

D.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:47 pm 

Al Crisp here;OH those of little faith. It will take a couple of days but if things are to be made clear I will have an honest answer from the folks who polish up the big brass door. At last something to live for or is it just a disgruntled Rapido customer having a meltdown??

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:03 pm 

Al, glad to hear that both you and 2816 are still under steam in 2020.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:09 pm 

Al Crisp here;Bottom line at this point in time. She was given clearance to putter in the yard limits for the virtual Show train!! Until covid is well behind us no further decisions will be made at the board level regards needed testing and indicated repairs.Overall it has been kept in good shape and puts in visits[dead] at functions at the Pavilion. At this point she is going nowhere fast but neither is it going to shine the mainline for awhile. Oh well at least it still moves under it's own power!where there is life there is hope!!!??Al Crisp MMR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:50 pm 

Al Crisp here; Just a few things I would like to comment on regards any posting or writing I make on CPR ,2816 5361 or any of the other equipment mentioned by some of those who comment or post on line. Nothing I write is either speculation or rumor but is the truth according to either the Management at CPR heritage who I have agreed to keep their names, level or address out of the post to keep the truth of a quote from becoming speculation or rumor or the product of misinterpretation for someone else's over active imagination. If not them it will be from the fine people at CP Tracks who I have been working hard with to create an easy going and one on one relationship with the CPR management. I and some of the CP Tracks fellows have been working at helping CPR get a better and less complicated public relations position. I can safely say that most CPR fans do not know that they have a general Web site and a second web publication aimed at the employees. This one if you can locate it is more interesting from a rail fan perspective! This discussion may sound a little over the top to some but we are discussing the results of someone's job and what may have been years of research and collection of materials and history! I have worked on this sort of project over the years and have seen months of hard work go up in a puff of smoke because some others had little or no respect to take the time to find all the facts in their rush to get to the head of the line or see their name in lights. Building the trust and respect of those in the real know is a hard and long process, In this case I have it and intend to keep it. Thanks for indulging me Al Crisp MMR

I have a favour to ask of Rick Rowlands could you please contact me on my Email beez_al@bell.net. I am trying to find out about the health of Terry Sprague or if he is still alive.For reasons never made clear to me he stopped communicating with me and other friends in common after what ever happened to 5361 transpired. Thank youAl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:13 am 

Looks like 2816 is set to make her longest trip yet if the merger goes through.

https://www.railwayage.com/freight/clas ... mbination/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:46 pm 

Just imagine 2816 in the South is special. See 2816 goes to Mexico, anybody here predict this when 2816 was restored hahaha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:32 pm 

That will be an epic trip if 2816 goes to Mexico.
The CP-KCS merger, if it is okayed, makes some sense. Going back to the original NAFTA treaty in the 1990s, one of the positive outcomes was to have been the elevation of the Mexican standard of living. Much of the manufacturing of basic, lower cost consumer goods should have moved to Mexico. Sadly, we did not protect our own and we allowed the Chinese to take control of that sector.
Creel suggests the end-on merger will lead to an improvement of the economies of the three nations and more jobs. Let's hope. It will not happen without the political will in North America and if consumers are serious when they say they want to support local industries.
In this area, CP provides exclusive service to three major auto assembly plants, and has access to others. With this new north-south trunk route, some good things should happen.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:16 am 

Whether or not the merger goes through, I think we're going to see the 2816 in operation again sometime soon. The Christmas event gave me the impression that CP might be getting ready to get a steam program going again, at least to some extent.

Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:38 am 

While cold and being towed by a diesel, 2816 went for a short trip around central Calgary yesterday. The local railfan community spotted her and started speculating online as per usual. One of CP's heritage program employees was kind enough to post an explanation on the engine's Facebook fan page this evening. I like where this is going.....

Jonathan Jeffrey wrote:
Folks,

Lots of speculation recently. To avoid any unhealthy rumours, here’s an update along with some additional information.

Me and Justin, along with help from some fine local management, oiled up 2816 and headed down to 12th Street in Calgary yesterday for a trip around the wye. 2816 was facing the wrong direction for front end, superheater, and boiler tube removal. That’s all we will discuss on that for now, but will continue to update.

It was a beautiful day, and we were greeted along the way by an impressive entourage of photographers and onlookers! It was wonderful to see 2816 get the attention she deserves again, even if briefly and not under steam.

Dennis Cardy posted with regards to a backup locomotive for 2816.

I’ve addressed the “second locomotive” speculation a couple of times, and will again for the last time.

Dennis correctly stated there was “talk” about a backup locomotive. That’s all it ever was: talk.

Although we would have loved to see another steam locomotive on the roster, when the idea was put forward (a long time ago now) the remaining executives at CP who remembered the cost overruns of the 2816 restoration immediately shot it down.

It’s always fun to discuss “what ifs”, but for now we are focused on giving 2816 the attention she deserves and there is no possibility of CP restoring a second steam locomotive at this time.

Lastly, who’s going to do the work? We will be assembling a crew who will be led by Justin and I. This crew will be made up of some old friends of 2816, along with some new ones too.

As we start this process, Justin, Adam, myself, and the others involved continue to work tirelessly on the many moving parts of a new beginning.

Best,

The 2816 Crew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:21 am 

I know of a G5 in Ohio that is probably operable and doesn't currently have a place to roam.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next