It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Help Finding Steam Locomotive Numbered Parts Diagrams
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:32 pm 

Hi everybody,
A few times in the past, in paper format, I've seen diagrams of steam locomotives with all the components numbered, correspondingly accompanied by an extensive numbered list of components below the diagram. The image of the locomotive is presented as a longitudinal section or multiple longitudinal sections all superimposed on the same diagram. The diagrams are quite detailed. The diagrams I've seen are black and white, 2-D, and generally present a steam era appearance. I've seen diagrams for a 2-8-0, 2-8-2, and Santa Fe compound 2-6-2.

I've tried to find diagrams like these online, but haven't had much luck. Does anybody here know what I'm talking about and where I can find them? I'd like to find a diagram in the public domain that I can reproduce.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Need Help Finding Steam Locomotive Numbered Parts Diagra
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:59 pm 

Something like this?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:20 pm 

International Correspondence Schools (ICS) published large size steam locomotive diagrams with numbered callouts in the 1930s and 1940s. These sometimes show up in decent condition on eBay.

PC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:47 pm 

R. Hahn wrote:
Something like this?

Indeed, that's similar to what I had in mind. The diagrams I've seen were somewhat more detailed--going up to a few hundred numbered parts. Do you know the source for your image?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:51 pm 

Texaco had a hudson locomotive that had the parts numbered and stated which lubes were used at various location. I have one put need to get it scanned. Found on etsy https://www.etsy.com/listing/520438693/texaco-lubrication-chart-of-a-new-yorkImage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:11 am 

When you get to that item on etsy, click on the seller's name (LocomotiveCharts) -- there are many different examples of locomotive, each with its own callouts. (That includes a GG1 for you electric fans...)

It is possible that the original could be duplicated at full size (about 4' x 6') and in the original color -- there are sellers making nine-foot posters out of Big Boy builder's photos and blueprints, after all -- and that would be something to see.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:18 am 

Something else to mention is the wonderful 1922 ATSF silent film showing the working of the different systems in a (then) modern locomotive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYNRhL0ddDQ

It is likely that this film was accompanied by spoken narration, possibly from phonograph records, and the original on Herron Films may in fact have this, and supply the missing legend or callouts for the different parts as the film proceeds. This is every bit as good a demonstration of the power of good animation as the flush-riveting program from the Walt Disney Studios.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:13 am 

6-ET wrote:
R. Hahn wrote:
Something like this?

Indeed, that's similar to what I had in mind. The diagrams I've seen were somewhat more detailed--going up to a few hundred numbered parts. Do you know the source for your image?

Thanks!

I found it here http://progress-is-fine.blogspot.com/2015/05/

I do not know where it originated.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:50 am 

That diagram was likely taken from one of the locomotive books published in the early 1920s, like the 'second edition' of McShane's 'The Locomotive Up-to-Date'

https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Locomotive_Up_to_Date.html?id=XsBKAAAAMAAJ

You can see it was a 'foldout' from a book if you open the image completely as provided. It can be succinctly dated as it is Woodard's Mikado (8000), the predecessor in many ways of the A-1 design to come in 1925. (Note the external dry pipe... an idea that didn't readily catch on)

The original 'poster' as found on etsy was as noted originally produced by Texaco at larger size. These might now be public domain; the person providing the 'reprints' is going to comment here on the various charts' provenance.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a diagram in Weitzman's book "Superpower". That would likely not help you directly, as I believe he drew that line drawing himself; however, it is possible he used a drawing similar to the foldout above as a reference.

Last edited by Overmod on Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:46 pm 

[quote="Mike Tillger"]Texaco had a hudson locomotive that had the parts numbered and stated which lubes were used at various location. I have one put need to get it scanned. Found on etsy https://www.etsy.com/listing/520438693/texaco-lubrication-chart-of-a-new-york

I started making locomotive charts back in the early 1990's. My father, who worked in the Railway Sales Division of Texaco for over 30 years, acquired an original Texaco Locomotive Chart in the 1980's and tried to find a way to reproduce it to sell copies of it. Unfortunately, the only method available to make copies was photography, which was too expensive. At the time I got involved, hand scanners were the newest computer gadget available. I did some research and found this approach was not feasible. I also found a company that could scan a drawing and convert the scan into a vector map CAD file. I had the chart scanned and spent the next 16 months redrawing the scan in AutoCad on my little 286 clone. After the drawing was done, I spent another few months adding the parts list and part numbers to the drawing. I took the finished chart to toy train shows and everyone thought it was great, but most asked "Do you have one of the Big Boy?" Not knowing what the Big Boy was at the time, I went home and did some research.

While at one of the trains shows, I found a vendor who was selling Train Shed Cyclopedias. He had one with an vintage article and drawings of the Big Boy. I had the drawings scanned and on my 486 clone, it took me three months to create the chart. The Big Boy chart was very popular and for a while, I even supplied copies to some museums that had Big Boys in their inventory.

Today, I can create a chart in about 4 to 5 weeks, depending how motivated I am. I have 30 different locomotives drawn, so far, and I have about 30 more waiting to be done. Train Shed Cyclopedias are my main source for locomotives, though I do find material from other sources. I recently found a Baldwin Locomotive Works Chart of a 4-8-2 locomotive on a website called Kansas Memory. They have an extensive collection of AT&SF pictures and drawings. Train Shed Cyclopedia #31 has two charts in it. One of a 2-8-2 Mikado and one of a 2-8-8-2 Mallet. I am currently waiting to hear from the Pa. State Archives on what drawings they have of several locomotives (electric and steam) from the PRR. There are many sources for material, but they can be hard to find.

I found this site, because I saw a large increase in traffic on my Etsy site. One of the sources for the increase was www.rypn.org. I did not think to look for a site like this to let people know what I am doing. I expect to spend a lot of time reading about what is going on in the world of steam locomotives.

John Evans
All Steamed Up
Houston

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:43 pm 

Welcome aboard this interesting train! Sounds like you have done some remarkable work. Maybe I missed it, could you please provide a link to your creations?

Howard P.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:39 pm 

Howard P. wrote:
Welcome aboard this interesting train! Sounds like you have done some remarkable work. Maybe I missed it, could you please provide a link to your creations?

Howard P.

A link to one of my charts is at the top of my post. Below is a link to my store.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LocomotiveCharts

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:39 am 

All Steamed Up wrote:
Howard P. wrote:

Howard P.

A link to one of my charts is at the top of my post. Below is a link to my store.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LocomotiveCharts

Well done! Those look really good!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:56 am 

Well done! Those look really good![/quote]

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:27 pm 

Try Googling ... steam engine cut away glossary components

From Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_loc ... components

Much more detailed 2-8-4