It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Evans AutoRailer at Clark's Trading Post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:38 am 

I'm still not really sure what happened to it or if it's still at Clark's.

I sent an email to Elise via the contact us link at White Mountain/Clarks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:05 am 

I sent one as well a couple days ago. No response. Hopefully, one of us will get a response soon.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:45 pm 

I have severral original letters between Evans and the DL&W from June 1936 and a blueprint of a proposed Evans Auto Railer for the DL&W to use in their hump yard service to return brakemen to the top. I don't know it it was ever purchased by the DL&W as it doesn't appear in the files I have. There will be an article on this Auto Railer in an upcoming issue of the DL&WRRHS The Roustabout.

Attachments:
File comment: 1936 Evans Auto Railer for the DL&W.
DL&W Evans Auto-Railer #4.jpg
DL&W Evans Auto-Railer #4.jpg [ 116.47 KiB | Viewed 3366 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:59 pm 

Well its not listed on their separate website for the railroad itself so I would guess it was probably sold or scrapped or both. Also the picture in the link from earlier in the thread was from the 1960s right? Thats an awfully long time for a tourist trap purpose built 2 mile line to keep an out of order rail bus just lying around - at least that's my opinion.

Here's the website for the railroad - note that they do still have a Reo rail bus.
http://whitemountaincentralrr.com/histo ... -bus-b1-2/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:34 am 

Hi All

I contacted a friend of mine who is and engineer at Clarks Trading post about the Evans Rail bus. The Rail bus is still on the property of the Trading post.
Now as for WHO Owns the Rail bus,, It is NOT Owned by Clark's it was owned by a Private party.

1. The Rail bus has been on the property for over 20 plus years, and is in Sad condition.

2. As I said it is not Owned by Clark's BUT IF anyone is interested, I am sure my contact could put you in contact with the owner. Note also as far as my contact knows the original owner has passed away, so you would have to deal with the person family.

3. Also Clark's at this time, has no interest on restoring the Rail bus, because of its condition, and not Owned by Clark's.

4. My contact has sent me some photos of what it looks like now.

5. I know a few of you has sent emails up to Clark's looking for answers and a reply to your emails. My contact told me, the person in the office has not had the time to answer your emails, at this time.

So that is what I could find Thanks to my contact, I hope all your questions were somewhat answered, Pat
Attachment:
File comment: Evans Rail bus # 4
20210918_154205.jpg # 4.jpg
20210918_154205.jpg # 4.jpg [ 46.95 KiB | Viewed 3141 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Evans Rail bus # 3
20210918_154113.jpg # 3.jpg
20210918_154113.jpg # 3.jpg [ 55.57 KiB | Viewed 3141 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Evans Rail bus at Clarks Photo # 2
20210918_154100.jpg # 2.jpg
20210918_154100.jpg # 2.jpg [ 49.13 KiB | Viewed 3141 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Evans Rail bus at Clarks
20210918_154025.jpg # 1.jpg
20210918_154025.jpg # 1.jpg [ 63.07 KiB | Viewed 3141 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:21 pm 

Pat,

Thank you for taking time to post the photos and info.

Please check your PM.

Wesley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:39 pm 

This is great news! Now if only I could nail down the exact history of this curious contraption. I know it was Ex Grasse River Railroad and probably Exx Arcade & Attica but not sure about prior to that. However, if this is an Ex Arlington & Fairfax Auto Railroad bus, that would make this car the VERY LAST piece of passenger rolling stock owned by the various interurban railroads in Northern Virginia making it priceless. I'm not counting W&OD 50 as it was used for freight duties.

Thanks so much for the info Pat!

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:47 pm 

It would make a nice driveway project.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:33 pm 

Nick,

Looking at Merriken’s Old Dominion Trolley Too, I cannot easily determine if this is an A&F car. The number 109 in the 1960s photo complicates things since Merriken lists 109 as going to the South Shore Line. But the 109 on the NH car is in the right place.

It would be helpful to find definitive rosters for Arcade and Attica and Grasse.

Back to you!

Wesley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:16 pm 

I did some digging and found this old video of the Grasse River Railroad sometime in the 1950's - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55xKWcJshHA

What do I spy at 9:58 in the video? none other than the same autorailer currently at Clark's in storage. A clear giveaway that this car was Ex Arlington & Fairfax Auto Railroad would be if the sign located on top of the cab still spelled out one of the major stops on the old A&FU such as Fairfax or Rosslyn. Unfortunately, I can't make it out if there is in fact any letters on the sigh. Surprisingly, many of these cars still had the A&FU signs still in place even after being sold. For example, I saw a picture of the South Shore Line car taken in 1958 where it was still sporting the Fairfax sign! You'd think they'd remove those.

Maybe you can make out any lettering?

Thanks,

Nick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:03 am 

Has it still got its chassis? Either it's sunk into the ground a long way with all the years of sitting there or its just the body, as the bodywork seems to be resting on the ground in those recent photos.....
I'm guessing it has sunk into the ground, but the chassis won't be in a very good condition if that is the case.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:08 am 

Hi All

My contact at Clark's trading post, would like to suggest, those that are interested on more information on the Rail Bus, that you contact Clark's directly either by phone, or email, or in person.

My contact enjoyed trying to answer your questions, but he would like you to direct your questions to Clark's main office and the person you need to talk to in the office is Elise.

So please any further questions about the Rail Bus please contact Clark's Trading Post, by phone, or email, or in person. Thank you Pat.