It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 399 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: Adirondack Park Agency oks scrapping RR line to Lake Pla
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:34 am 

The quiet part of this is: Or is this the first step in getting rid of the entire railroad?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:55 pm 

"Is there a bright future available, and under what conditions?"

Frankly, it's a very bright future, and one that I look forward to helping support.

The railroad is getting a substantial infusion of 'free' track material from the removal, and considerable track maintenance at State expense; they're also getting priority construction the full length of their 'present' piece, and should have little difficulty maintaining it afterward. The most important piece of 'future' is that the State has recognized the existence of the railroad from Utica all the way up to end of track at Tupper Lake, and we can expect no future mumbling from the trail people about using any part for 'trail-only' into the far indefinite future... it being fairly clear no rail-with-trail alternative can be made to fit the existing ROW in a forever-wild setting.

I do expect to hear whining from ARTA about the 10-to-1 spend on renewing the retained mileage to Tupper Lake vs. the (unallocated) funds for trail creation "that were supposed to be financed with those removed track materials:" It should also be interesting to see if the trail-touting petty bourgeoisie and sledmen cough up enough to make and then maintain "their" trail... as if I understand things correctly, DEP assumes no liability for anything once the trail is 'completed'
Quote:
"The quiet part of this is: Or is this the first step in getting rid of the entire railroad?"

It is possible -- in New York State under Cuomo, perhaps more than usually possible -- that the current split is intended to see 'how the wind blows' when part of the "transportation corridor" has been 'trail-ized' as the State's compromise definition has it. If ARTA and its stooges behind the scenes actually get the trail built, and it turns out to be multipurpose instead of sled-only as appears currently likely for the first two to three years (I think the sled-only signs are to keep everyone off the trail ROW until the contract has been let and filled and the "ADA-compliant", historically-endowed full user-friendly version has been built out) -- and if the 'take rate' provides return to the communities greater than they have to pay -- then perhaps they'll come knocking for some of the now-extended railroad.

I suspect the course of the trail will prove decidedly otherwise. ARTA can't lie any more; they have to PRODUCE. And it will be interesting to see if they are anywhere near as savvy as its proponents have given themselves credit for...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:05 pm 

So I'm like what was said before it looks like the railroad will be connected to the national rail network.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:58 pm 

RCD wrote:
I thought they connected to the national rail network in Utica NY.

RCD wrote:
So I'm like what was said before it looks like the railroad will be connected to the national rail network.
Yes - the line will remain connected to the national network. The line has 3 sections:

(1) Utica to Remsen (Snow Junction) which is also used by the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern (Genesee Valley Transportation) to move freight.

(2) Remsen (Snow Junction) to Tupper Lake is 85-miles long. This section of track is being rehabilitated by NY state at a cost of $19.1 Million and is scheduled to be finished by next November. Currently, trains can only operate from Utica to Big Moose; after this project is completed, trains will be able to operate another 45 miles from Big Moose to Tupper Lake. Tupper Lake is the site of the biggest permitted development in all of the Adirondack Park.

(3) The track from Tupper Lake to Lake Placid, 34 miles long, is being removed at a cost of $1.9 Million, to create a single use, snowmobile-only trail (as NY state is installing signs that say "No ATV's, Horses, Motor Vehicles Except Snowmobiles" and "[i]No Pedestrians or Bicycles"[/i], per the scans of the contract drawings I posted above back on August 31.) The state's press release say this section is expected to become a multi-use trail by the end of 2024.

In 1999, an Amtrak excursion operated from Rensselaer (I think) to Thendara and return: Railpictures #53154. There was also an AAPRCO train that ran over the line in 2017.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:55 pm 

The track rehabilitation project began on October 23, 2020 in Remsen, as shown in this video clip by "Railroading Rambler": "Working on the Adirondack Railroad"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:37 am 

Please keep us regularly updated on the status of the various 'remediation' efforts.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:09 pm 

The Adirondack Scenic Railroad ran its first public excursion to Beaver River, NY on May 28, 2022.

Matt Giardino has an album of photographs of the run.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:42 pm 

As someone local to the Adirondack, I'm glad that they haven't just laid down and died over losing that trackage. They're still fighting the good fight. They got the one NYC-painted F-unit running for the first time in several years, they're working on working the bugs out of the other RS-3 that they got from Kansas, they purchased an M420W from the NYS&W Historical Society and that arrived this winter. They ran all sorts of new special event trains this winter from Utica to Remsen that were all pretty well-attended.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:55 am 

I even saw a television commercial a few days ago. That's not something that I recall seeing the Adirondack Scenic do in the past.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:22 am 

LeoA wrote:
I even saw a television commercial a few days ago. That's not something that I recall seeing the Adirondack Scenic do in the past.

I know they ran a television ad that even featured ALCo #5 back when they were first preparing to open, but that was 30 years ago. Since then, no, I can't recall ever seeing a TV ad. And they run a pretty aggressive social media push.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:05 am 

[quote="Overmod"][i]"Is there a bright future available, and under what conditions?"[/quote]

It should also be interesting to see if the trail-touting petty bourgeoisie and sledmen cough up enough to make and then maintain "their" trail... as if I understand things correctly, DEP assumes no liability for anything once the trail is 'completed'[/quote]

Well, if the present is any indication of the future, the "world class trail" is just going to fester and rot. These pics are from the last few weeks. Trees across the ROW, and the only major use is from locals who are taking their dogs out to run and drop a load on the ballast.

And remember....we were told by the head trail advocates that this trail would bring in "hundreds of thousands of dollars". Nope. that is NOT a typo.

Meanwhile, not so far away from the line (not counting the Utica-TL operation), you have both rail bikes and a tourist operation running at full capacity on most runs.

If Andy had gotten into his sexual-predicament just a couple years earlier, I say with my hand on a stack of bibles that the line would still be intact from end to end.

The irony here is that the now-trackless section is in BETTER shape for a restoration of rail than when there was actually rail on it!

Attachments:
294085528_10229686563127097_4704890468451924923_n.jpg
294085528_10229686563127097_4704890468451924923_n.jpg [ 241.36 KiB | Viewed 3615 times ]
290269184_10229555644814221_3356068177490511938_n.jpg
290269184_10229555644814221_3356068177490511938_n.jpg [ 93.8 KiB | Viewed 3617 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:40 pm 

greenwichlirr wrote:

Well, if the present is any indication of the future, the "world class trail" is just going to fester and rot. These pics are from the last few weeks. Trees across the ROW, and the only major use is from locals who are taking their dogs out to run and drop a load on the ballast.

And remember....we were told by the head trail advocates that this trail would bring in "hundreds of thousands of dollars". Nope. that is NOT a typo.

Meanwhile, not so far away from the line (not counting the Utica-TL operation), you have both rail bikes and a tourist operation running at full capacity on most runs.

If Andy had gotten into his sexual-predicament just a couple years earlier, I say with my hand on a stack of bibles that the line would still be intact from end to end.

The irony here is that the now-trackless section is in BETTER shape for a restoration of rail than when there was actually rail on it!

And the sad part is that there are still people beating the drums to get the rails torn up back to Remsen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:51 pm 

Two photographs of the first passenger train to Tupper Lake in over 40 years:
Railpictures #812238
and
Railpictures #812157

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:23 am 

I think this is a public Facebook page (let me know if it doesn't work), with a short video.

Perhaps we should expect it, but there is still a lot of animosity to the railroad from the trail crowd in the comments--but a lot of support from others, too.

https://www.facebook.com/LifeintheADKS/ ... 3895116887

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:33 pm 

[quote="J3a-614"]I think this is a public Facebook page (let me know if it doesn't work), with a short video.

Perhaps we should expect it, but there is still a lot of animosity to the railroad from the trail crowd in the comments--but a lot of support from others, too.

https://www.facebook.com/LifeintheADKS/ ... 3895116887[/quote]

There is still an unbelievable amount of vile foulness towards the railroad, and the majority of it comes from people who are aligned with the fools in the ARTA organization. Oddly enough, though, in the last few posts on the Adirondack Daily Enterprise Facebook Page posts about the RR Revival, the usual ARTA blowhards (Frenette, Goodwin, Beamish, and of course McCulley) have been silent. That right there is very uncharacteristic of them. Oh sure, some of their lower stooges have been firing off the usual BS lies, but yeah....they've been silent.

One positive thing on those same ADE postings, however, has been the positive comments FOR the RR, with alot of people openly saying that the tracks being removed shouldn't have happened.....and of course they are then openly mocked by the anti-rail crowd.....

....and of course you have comments like these from the Snowmobile crowd:

Attachments:
scrap.JPG
scrap.JPG [ 17.38 KiB | Viewed 2492 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 399 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next