It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where are these steam locomotives now?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 1998 8:38 pm 

First of all, I found our recent discussion on "lost locomotives" to be very informative and interesting. Thanks for all of the input; I hope others enjoyed it as well.<p>Before releasing my last update to "Surviving World Steam Locomotives"; I compared my list for North America against Wes Barris' "North American Steam Locomotive list (http://www.steamlocomotives.com) AND against J. David Conrad's "Directory of North American Steam Locomotives" (Transportation Trails Press, 1988). In comparing the two, I find that Wes' list is becoming very complete; I believe there are only about 50 steam locomotives that were mentioned in the Directory that are not on Wes' list.<p>Of these 50 or so locomotives, there are some groups of locomotives that are missing. If they could be located or an update provided; it would go along way towards completing the list. I am listing them here in the hope that maybe someone can provide an update on their whereabouts.<p>1. There were three 20" gauge Porter 0-4-0T's sitting on the top of an old incline above Chase Creek near the ghost town of Metcalf, near Clifton, Arizona. Are they still there?<p>2. At the time the Directory was published, there were six steam locomotives at Silver Dollar City in Branson, Missouri. These included a Davenport-built 4-4-2. Are all six still there?<p>3. At the time the Directory was published, the Crown Metal Products factory in Eliabeth, Pennslyvania was still building building it's line of Amusement Park steam locomotives. On the grounds of the factory there were six 0-4-0T steam locomotives. These included Jones & Laughlin Steel Corp. # 57, 58, 60, 61, and 63(?). Another Jones & Laughlin Steel locomotive #62 had already been moved to Boulder Colorado; it is thought to now be in Canada.<p>Since that time, #58 has re-appeared in private hands in Youngstown, Ohio; and a locomotive indentified as Jones and Laughlin #59 has been dismantled and partually scrapped. Where are the remaining steam locomotives, and is #59 the correct identity of the dismantled locomotive?<p>4. There are quite a few "fireless cookers" that are missing. They include:<p>Mesta Machine Co. #6 and #7; both Porter-built 0-4-0Fs that were at West Homestead, PA.<p>Porter-built Armour Leather Co. 0-4-0F #4, then operational at Parsons Tanning Co. in Parsons, West Virginia.<p>A Porter-built 0-4-0F operational at Perry K. Generating Plant in Indianapolis, Indiana.<p>A Davenport 0-4-0F operational at Benning Generating Station in Washington, DC.<p>A Heisler 0-4-0F stored at the Gunlocke Co. in Wayland, New York.<p>Penwalt Chemicals 0-4-0F at Riverview, Michigan.<p>There are probably other fireless locomotives that I missed as well; thanks in advance for any feedback.<p>Most of the others were stored or in private hands; and could still be where they are listed, have been sold and moved, or have been scrapped.<p>-James Hefner

Surviving World Steam Locomotives
james1@pernet.net

Post subject: Re: Where are these steam locomotives now?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 1998 1:07 am 

I saw an article on the 20" gauge locomotives in Arizona in the Narrow guage and short line gazette in the last year or so. I believe that at least one of them was rescued and repaired. I hope this helps.<br>

paulkattner@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: Where are these steam locomotives now?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 1998 2:09 pm 

I can't tell you what locos are not at Silver City, Branson, MO, but their 1999 ads list #13, #43, & #76, all 2-4-0's from Germany. Roger<br>

caboose@chaffee.net