It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nebraska Railroad Museum Update
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:34 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Reposted from Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/NebraskaRailro ... TNvdMraaYl

Quote:
PRESS RELEASE
Nebraska Railroad Museum Announces Equipment Changes.
Planned and unexpected changes to equipment status.
Nebraska City, NE, September 20, 2022:

The Nebraska Railroad Museum announces changes regarding the equipment inherited from the Fremont and Elkhorn Valley Railroad and purchase of business car UP 125. The museum completed an extensive mechanical assessment and financial feasibility study of each piece of equipment received by the dissolution of the FEVR. Original plans were to retain 3 pieces; SW1200 #1219, RPO CB&Q 1938, and caboose UP 201 in addition to the purchased business car UP 125. After careful evaluation and discussion the organization has decided on a plan of action. The descriptions and dispositions of the equipment not kept are listed below.
40 foot boxcar UP 108875, was sold to a private individual and moved to Humphrey, Nebraska.
40 foot boxcar CNW 319, was sold to a private individual and moved to Schuyler, Nebraska.
Combine CGW 284, was sold to a private individual moved to Ames, Nebraska.
Baggage BN 976184, was sold to the Illinois Railway Museum and is being moved to Union, Illinois.
Pullmans FEVR 1101/1102, were sold to private individuals with 1 moved to Davis, Oklahoma and the other awaiting removal.
SW1200 FEVR 1219, more extensive evaluation was completed. Adding the damages caused by vandalism and theft the unit was deemed infeasible for restoration. Locomotive was sold to a private individual who is currently working on removal of the locomotive.
RPO CB&Q 1938, more extensive evaluation was completed and it was deemed to be solely a static car. A private individual showed interest in it and a sale was completed. Removal is pending.
Caboose UP 201, a private individual showed interest and a sale was completed. The car was moved to Beemer, Nebraska.
Flatcar M&StL 16217 has been used for storage. Car is pending sale to a private individual and future removal.
Business Car UP 125 has been numbered NRM 1938 and named “Silver Pioneer.” This car has been moved to secure temporary storage in Lincoln, Nebraska.
The privately owned UP caboose in Hooper was sold by the owner to a private individual and moved to Schuyler, NE.
The museum receives occasional inquiries about the GE 45 ton and Whitcomb 50 ton switchers in Hooper. Both locomotives are owned by the City of Hooper, Nebraska and, the museum has no further information about them. The Davenport 44 ton switcher in Fremont, Nebraska has been inquired about as well. That locomotive is not owned by the museum and, we have no further information about it.
Nebraska Railroad Museum is a registered 501C3 nonprofit Nebraska Corporation operated by dedicated volunteers. It serves as the Eastern Nebraska chapter of the National Railroad Historical Society (NRHS). All donations are tax deductible.

Post subject: Re: Nebraska Railroad Museum Update
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:12 pm 

It's odd how many entities identified only as a "private individual" bought equipment, what sort of private individual would be interested in a bulkhead flat other than a scrapper?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:06 pm 

PMC wrote:
It's odd how many entities identified only as a "private individual" bought equipment, what sort of private individual would be interested in a bulkhead flat other than a scrapper?

PMC -

The other problem with "private individuals" (providing they are NOT a scrapper) is that this equipment usually disappears from the "preserved railroad equipment" records. For instance, there are two pieces from this list (C&NW #319, a 40' boxcar and a UP caboose) that are reported as sold to "private individuals" in Schuyler, Nebraska. There IS a museum there, but it does not appear to be a railroad museum. Even if not scrapped and ending up on private property of some type, the boxcar and caboose will probably just disappear from all future records. And that's too bad.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:45 am 

Les Beckman wrote:
PMC -

The other problem with "private individuals" (providing they are NOT a scrapper) is that this equipment usually disappears from the "preserved railroad equipment" records. For instance, there are two pieces from this list (C&NW #319, a 40' boxcar and a UP caboose) that are reported as sold to "private individuals" in Schuyler, Nebraska. There IS a museum there, but it does not appear to be a railroad museum. Even if not scrapped and ending up on private property of some type, the boxcar and caboose will probably just disappear from all future records. And that's too bad.

Les

Unfortunately true. I looked up Ames, NE, where the CGW combine went and found out it has a population of 24 (two digits), not much chance of a museum there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:43 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Even if not scrapped and ending up on private property of some type, the boxcar and caboose will probably just disappear from all future records. And that's too bad.
You'd prefer they got torched?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:09 am 

Well folks,

I believe the "private owner" is a local business man who lives in, or near, Schulyer, NE. He was at one time affiliated with the museum. I'm not sure the exact reason why former members ended up owning certain pieces of equipment. I have learned that the former museum President (who sold most of the equipment) passed away recently. If anyone would like some additional contact information, feel free to send me an PM and I'll be happy to forward it to you.

The person I was dealing with was a pretty straight shooter, but I did get the sense that there are some ITM-type issues surrounding some of the equipment. I need to stress the word "some". Some of the equipment was genuinely free and clear of any issues and buyers should not be worried about too much.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:55 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Les Beckman wrote:
Even if not scrapped and ending up on private property of some type, the boxcar and caboose will probably just disappear from all future records. And that's too bad.

I ask in all sincerity:

WHAT "records"????

As someone who jumped waist-deep into the morass 35 years ago, I can tell you that there's NO "national rail preservation database."

You want to find anything like this, you hunt down that various OCD roster compilers within certain sub-categories--cabooses, PRR "survivors," everything supposedly in a particular state or of a particular railroad, etc. And nowhere near as much of that stuff is online as you may think.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:07 pm 

Very true!

You would think that railroad historical societies would keep records of their particular railroad, but in most cases, it just hasn't happened (there are exceptions such as the Nickel Plate Road Historical and Technical Society). Even many museums don't publish rosters of their equipment. Don't start me on that! So, you search the internet and just hope you can find something.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:11 pm 

Some single railroad historical societies discourage documentation of equipment past the date that "their" railroad was dissolved or merged. This practice limits their scope and coverage to a fixed termination date, and pretty much guarantees that the group will slowly disappear as the members who shot their photos before that date pass away..

PC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:26 pm 

PCook wrote:
Some single railroad historical societies discourage documentation of equipment past the date that "their" railroad was dissolved or merged. This practice limits their scope and coverage to a fixed termination date, and pretty much guarantees that the group will slowly disappear as the members who shot their photos before that date pass away..

PC

PC -

This too, unfortunately, is true. I was recently at Hoosier Valley and found a copy of the "Green Diamond", which was the wonderful magazine of the Illinois Central Historical Society. BUT, the magazine had been published by the Monticello Railway Museum. And it turned out that it was going to be next-to-last "Green Diamond" that was going to be published. The ICHS was no longer an existing organization. MRM had picked up their assets (including the building where their ICRR records are kept). The Illinois Central was a large railroad and it's hard to believe that there will no longer be an existing organization for that line. I believe other railroad historical societies are also "in trouble".

Les

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:19 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:

I ask in all sincerity:

WHAT "records"????

As someone who jumped waist-deep into the morass 35 years ago, I can tell you that there's NO "national rail preservation database."

You want to find anything like this, you hunt down that various OCD roster compilers within certain sub-categories--cabooses, PRR "survivors," everything supposedly in a particular state or of a particular railroad, etc. And nowhere near as much of that stuff is online as you may think.

Wil Hata came close with the Railroad Preservation Index. However this page was shut down last year due to an update with Google Sites. Not sure if he is still working on getting this back up?

It can be accessed via WebArchive:
https://web.archive.org/web/20210901011 ... y-railroad