It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: value of industrial switchers
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 1998 8:47 am 

does anyone know the value of selling smaller switch enginnes - between 25-60 tonners?<p>How hard, how much, how?<p>Jim<br>

bigjiml@cts.com

Post subject: Re: value of industrial switchers
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 1998 11:41 am 

Rick Rowlands has two for sale now on the rail swap list. Generally, value is dependent on things like FRA certification, operating condition, parts availability, gauge, etc. A locomotive with automatic air and a prime mover also used in heavy equipment with parts dealers everywhere with a cab card and good wheels is worth much more than an old wooden clutch gas mechanical with a hand brake. <p>Dave<br>

lathro19@idt.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 1998 6:44 pm 

Usually expect to pay from between $25,000 and up for a locomotive these days. I know of two Alco S4s in running order, one for 25 and the other for 30. Also a GE 25 tonner for around $30,000. Barnhardt's had a 44 tonner, refurbished in 1992 for $34,500 and a GP7 in running order for $70,000.<p>I have a 45 ton Whitcomb with two Cummins engines, straight air brakes, in running order for $15,000. I bought the unit to use for an operation that didn't pan out, and now want to unload it. I personally would stay away from mechanical drive locomotives, especially the older ones in that if something would happen to go wrong with that transmission, you're sunk. <p><br>

milw97a@aol.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 1998 12:47 pm 

these all have Westinghouse air and standard guage. They are not kept with a blue card, but could be.<br>

bigjiml@cts.com