It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Brewing Controversy...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:31 pm 

There is a thread on another forum pertaining to a rail preservation issue that some of us have been long aware of. Comments ?

http://www.railroad.net/forums/messages.asp?TopicID=22898
newhaven0401-NOSPAM-@verizon.net

Post subject: Re: The Call
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:12 pm 

The past talk about the 'typical' museum, collections policys and what you can and can't do based on resources has led me to wonder.....

Just when do you make the call?

Certinly if you have a large museum frequented by lots of people, you need to get the stuff you can't handle and don't have the resources to restore out and off to better homes. But when do you make the call that the better home is the yard in the sky?

In the case of this equipment, I think it's got a ways to go because it's not part of a museum and if you can't get rid of it (assumeing your not paying rent to keep it) what harm is it doing by setting there till some one wants it?

I know it can't all be saved, but when do you decided that that ONE is hopeless?

Ben

btrue@vt.edu

Post subject: Re: A Brewing Controversy...
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:32 pm 

> There is a thread on another forum pertaining to a rail preservation issue that some of us have been long aware of. Comments?

From the subject (i.e. "Brewing") I thought for sure this would be a flame war between the "yellow beer" drinkers and the craft ale enthusiasts! :-)

Anyhow... I think Shaun O'Boyle has an excellent eye. I am envious of his work.

I don't have any facts on the organization(s) that own or are responsible for the equipment. There is nothing unique about the condition of the equipment. Sad and regretable. One can wish for happier times (and homes) for the equipment... We can wring our hands, and talk it to death, but nothing will get done for the equipment by our doing so.

If you don't like what you see, stop talking (typing) and get involved.

brianf425@yahoo.com

Post subject: May not be brewing much longer...............
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:32 am 

Re: Colonie, NY:

I just yesterday gave a fellow preservationist directions to this very shops/yard. Apparently he's supposed to oversee the removal of the very locomotives these forum members are complaining/lamenting about, to go to a more willing and eager preservation outfit--and I may be helping him as well. Stay tuned......

LNER4472-NOSPAM-@bcpl.net

Post subject: Re: May not be brewing much longer...............
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:22 am 

> Re: Colonie, NY:

> I just yesterday gave a fellow
> preservationist directions to this very
> shops/yard. Apparently he's supposed to
> oversee the removal of the very locomotives
> these forum members are
> complaining/lamenting about, to go to a more
> willing and eager preservation outfit--and I
> may be helping him as well. Stay tuned......

What about the stuff at Glenmont Power station? Is that going to be part of the same "rescue" effort?

hpincus@mindspring.com

Post subject: Re: A Brewing Controversy... *NM*
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:32 pm 

No Message

Post subject: Re: A Brewing Controversy...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:03 pm 

As President of a NRHS Chapter (Beaver Valley Junction)I don't think it is fair to label a chapter or museum irresponsible for equipment that is saved from a scrapper and in need of repair. Our chapter has 65 members but yet 3/4 would rather sit month after month and watch nothing but rail slides or some kind of a rail show. The other 25% puts in some long hard dirty hours doing what we can for rail preservation. I have the problem in our chapter with working members who want to try and save anything and everything they can get their hands on. Without trying to kill their enthusiasm, I have to walk a fine line in trying to preserve only what we can handle. Our area (Western Pa. and Eastern Ohio) has many engines, cars, and other rail equipment sitting around and rusting away. Take a ride around New Castle or McKees Rocks, Pa. or Youngstown or Minervia, Ohio and you will see what I am talking about. I know this stuff belongs to rail historical groups but for whatever reason nothing seems to be done. Try and approach them about a certain piece they have and you would think it was the "Crown Jewels" or it's ours even if it's rusting away and the heck with you. I don't know what the answer is but I do know at least the equipment is safe for now and can only hope the future will be more kind.

galberti990@comcast.net

Post subject: Types of equipment at Colonie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:13 pm 

Isn't there an NYC U-25 a Western Maryland FA and a B&M RS-3 there as well as a bunch of NYC passenger cars and a NYC Electric or two?

Post subject: Re: Types of equipment at Colonie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:27 pm 

Yes, there is an ex NYC U25 (2510?)as well as two ex-NYC electrics-but they are stored at another site.

Believe that the U25 suffered freeze damage and is inoperable.

> Isn't there an NYC U-25 a Western Maryland
> FA and a B&M RS-3 there as well as a
> bunch of NYC passenger cars and a NYC
> Electric or two?

newhaven0401-NOSPAM-@verizon.net

Post subject: Re: Types of equipment at Colonie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:29 pm 

From what I can remember there's 2 S units, an RS-3, and some passenger and freight equipment, and maybe a caboose. Many of the items are unique to D&H.

Joshua

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:31 pm 

It was revealed on another board that the ex-WM FA-2 610 is actually owned by the WMRHS-and has been for some time.

Can anyone shed some light on why it is still sitting at Colonie ?

> Re: Colonie, NY:

> I just yesterday gave a fellow
> preservationist directions to this very
> shops/yard. Apparently he's supposed to
> oversee the removal of the very locomotives
> these forum members are
> complaining/lamenting about, to go to a more
> willing and eager preservation outfit--and I
> may be helping him as well. Stay tuned......

locoeng@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:15 pm 

> It was revealed on another board that the
> ex-WM FA-2 610 is actually owned by the
> WMRHS-and has been for some time.

> Can anyone shed some light on why it is
> still sitting at Colonie ?

YOU go ahead and try to ship an old locomotive on a railroad system today. Oh, and how much cash do you have in your pocket, while you're at it?

As it turns out, the party I gave directions to said it's basically "public knowledge" that the FA is owned by the WMRHS, and that they have been trying to get it out for as much as ten years. There's supposedly a meeting going on this weekend to hammer out the details to get that FA down to Belington, W. Va. for eventual use on the West Virginia Central--including a *possible* "scenic detour" via a location that can get more necessary parts dropped into it.

LNER4472-NOSPAM-@bcpl.net

Post subject: No Switch
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:56 am 

CPR removed the switch to the siding. But it looks like rails can be unbolted to get access to this track again. Again, its money.

Joshua

Post subject: Re: No Switch
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:42 pm 

Hopefully they will have enough sense to move everything at once so it is one big bill and not a bunch of big bills. That way the cost of installing a switch or whatever could be split between several organizations if they aquire stuff there.