It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Death Valley railcar
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:43 pm 

Railcar from the onetime Death Valley RR, moved under its own power again last week at the Laws RR Museum in California. Has a modern power plant after the old one was deemed unsupportable.

http://ttrr.org/dv_text/dv_n05-3.html
ryarger@rypn.org

Post subject: Re: Death Valley railcar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:01 pm 

That's pretty nice looking but where are they planning to run it? Of course we'd all like to see the "Slim Princess" run again...maybe a few miles of track...but I have no idea what their plans are. The #9 apparently failed its last boiler test in the 50s but the #18 is reportedly being restored near Independence, CA. The #8 also survived and is in Sparks, NV. The 3 steamers that were used in the last days of the SP Keeler-Laws route came from the Nevada-California-Oregon, the same as Nevada County #9 which is either scrapped or MIA overseas in the Phillipines. I don't believe the original SP Narrow Gauge diesel "Little Giant" survived, it has been a popular prototype. The Slim Princess is definitely a line of interest to me, however I have only read about it and have never actually been to the museum.

-Ed Kelley

GTNGRR@aol.com

Post subject: Re: Death Valley railcar *PIC*
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:45 am 

> That's pretty nice looking but where are
> they planning to run it?

The Owens Valley Railway Company is a non profit group affiliated with the Laws Museum, who is working steadfastly to connect the city of Bishop (and a major regional tourism center) with the Laws museum. This group championed the Brill car restoration. They are utilizing TEA funding. Future work could involve a few miles of SPNG r-o-w.

> I don't believe
> the original SP Narrow Gauge diesel
> "Little Giant" survived, it has
> been a popular prototype.

Last I heard it still exists, converted to standard gauge, in Mexico. It would be a worthy addition to the Laws Museum/OVRC!

The Slim Princess
> is definitely a line of interest to me,
> however I have only read about it and have
> never actually been to the museum.

The east side of the Sierras is a pretty remote location, but worth the trip. Save your pennies and make your plans! I would recommend a side trip there to anyone attending the Narrow Gauge Convention this autumn.

Owens Valley Railway Company Newsletters

Post subject: Re: Death Valley railcar
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:00 pm 

Maybe the #18 can move into that second stall at the Laws shop for restoration and operation on the restored line if it happens...? I don't want to foam all over RYPN though. It would be pretty neat, I thought heard something about an inmate work crew and the #18 but I think that was when they repainted it a few years ago.

Also with the narrow gauge convention, I heard it is going to be held in San Jose. I was thinking of attending to promote my "Guide to Miniature and Narrow Gauge Railroads" guidebook and, if they are ready, the Park Trains on Film DVDs. I would like to find out more about it, do they have a web site? If this was 2 years ago I wouldn't have to pay for a plane ticket to go to the convention...

Maybe the X-1 is easier to track down than NGNG/NCO #8...

-Ed Kelley

GTNGRR@aol.com

Post subject: Re: Death Valley railcar *PIC*
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:57 pm 

Jeff Terry's Lineside Legacy column in the March 2004 Railfan & Railroad had a lot of nice info about the railcar and the museum. You can see his column online at the link below.

Regards,
Doug

Death Valley No. 5
dougb@sunserver.com