It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WW&F Tracklaying Weekend Day 4
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:33 pm 

The following is a reposted message (from the Narrow Gauge Discussion Forum) by James Patten.

"Last day of the WW&F Track laying weekend.

We started with a crew of about 30 or so, and as the day went on the crew began dwindling. Alas I was one of the "dwindled" so I don't know what happened toward the end of the day but I can speculate.

The remaining portion of the main line that had no ballast at all was ballasted, extending serviceable main line track past the station, past the Averill Rd crossing, past the future location of the north switch, almost to the top of the grade. Ballasting began on the siding, just north of the crossing there. When I left early afternoon, ballasting was working its way south toward the switch itself.

I speculate that ballasting, jacking, and tamping was completed on the siding and that the switch itself was ballasted, but not jacked or tamped.

We had a visit by a reporter from the Brunswick Times Record newspaper, and by a TV crew from WCSH Channel 6. Unfortunately the blurb on the TV this evening was only about a minute long - but it publicized our Halloween trains coming up."

Post subject: Re: WW&F Tracklaying Weekend Day 4 Photo
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:59 pm 

WW&F Ry Museum member Stewart Rhine shows off a reassembled interior wall section from the original Alna Center station. The boards that make up this wall section were meticulously sorted from a pile of debris which was once the station. The plan is to incorporate this section of the original into the interior of the replica station.