It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Source for brake pins and bushings
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:36 pm 

I have been buying some bushings from General Bearing in Milford MI. (248) 685-0961. However, I need another source as they don't have what I'm looking for this time. What are other vendors are you folks out there using? Any referrals would be appreciated.

We are busy rebuilding brake rigging for PE Hollywood Cars at OERM. Thanks!

http://www.oerm.org

Post subject: Re: Source for brake pins and bushings
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:10 pm 

Geez John, don't you guys own a lathe?

Please advise if there is some specialized spec or are plain bronze bushings what you need. McMaster Carr has a pretty good selection for those who are machinetoolically deprived.

dave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:47 pm 

Well actually we've been making a lot of the pins already. But as you know, skilled labor is in short supply, so I'd rather spend a few dollars for a ready made, off-the-shelf hardened bushing (especially where I have small quantities). These are just hardened steel bushings for brake rigging, nothing fancy.

I can always raise money for purchase of relatively small items like this, but I can't buy back the time.......... I'm a strong believer in using outside vendors to speed up the progress. Even with our comprehensive machine shop, It takes too long to do everything with volunteers. As with most outfits, we do a lot with volunteers, but we farm out things like motor work, bearing work (although that may need to change in the future) and as mentioned we buy parts when we can do so at reasonable cost. The donors respond to progress, they'll keep sending the money in for projects if we keep it moving along.

We buy the bushings in the exact even size ID (eg: 1.125) and we make the pins 1/64" under. Although many hardened pins were also available from GB, we found that they offered them with a clearance of 1/32" under, and we prefered the tighter 1/64" clearance for streetcar/interurban work.

Anyway- I'll check MC, but would welcome more sources. Thanks!

Geez John, don't you guys own a lathe?

Please advise if there is some specialized spec or are plain bronze bushings what you need. McMaster Carr has a pretty good selection for those who are machinetoolically deprived.

dave

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:31 pm 

John,

Try these:

Linn Industries: 516 997 1996 ask for Bev Duffy

or

Hadady Corporation
510 West 172nd Street
South Holland, IL 60473
708-596-5168

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:54 pm 

Talk to Tom Casper at hadady. He's always willing to help.