It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: C&O 701
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:48 am 

An ex-Hocking Valley 2-8-0, displayed at Covington, VA since 1954. Shown here in 1996:

http://www.piedmontsub.com/graphics/Loco701.jpg

Post subject: Re: C&O 701
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:38 pm 

For an outdoor display engine, this doesn't look too bad. I take it they have some sort of a group taking care of it?

Funny --- had no idea an engine of Hocking heritage still survived --- surprised someone from Ohio hasn't made an offer for it...... (not reading in any names here, just a statement of fact)

TJG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:13 pm 

The photo of 701 may be more than 8 years old. I was in Covington about a year ago, and she was looking pretty rough, although complete and restorable. To my knowledge there is no group taking care of her yet, but there has been discussion of this engine as a possible project by the Western Va. RR Preservation Society.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:30 pm 

I think a local boy scout group under took a repaint of her about 10 years ago, not much of a preservation effort, just some paint to clean up an eye sore, since then it's only done the predictable. It's to bad she's sitting where she is when the shop building that maintained her sits vacant only 15 miles away......

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:54 pm 

I have always been curious about this loco. I would like to know more about it. What kind of condition is it in mechanically? I am guessing it still has it's original insulation on it. It is a rather pleasing loco to look at.

Ryan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:31 pm 

Ryan, While it would take a thorough appraisal by a qualified steam mechanic to answer the question of 701's mechanical condition, the engine does appear to be relatively complete and intact. It does still have its original lagging and somewhat rusty and patched jacket. Check out its photo and specs at Steam Locomotive Information if you haven't allready. If the state of Virginia is lucky enough to ever have a tourist railroad in it's future, 701 would be very appropriate power, as it is a large and powerful 2-8-0 that is both Virginia built and with a long Virginia service record.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:34 pm 

Hi Ryan,Gary and everyone
The 701 is in fair to poor shape. I was over there this past summer and there are can size piles of asbestos on the ground beneath the loco where it has fallen from under ther lagging, and as Gary said it looks like someone patched the lagging where holes developed .
Andrew Martin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:03 pm 

I wouldn't mind taking a look at it, if out of curiosities sake if nothing else. It is very similar to the 722 and 630. Good mountain loco. I've looked at the stats on steamlocomotive.info. Great site! Sounds like there probably isn't much left of her boiler though. Is there a certain caretaker that could be contacted? I was up in Roanoke and then stopped by Staunton last summer, but ran out of time to search for this gem. Lots of locos, not enough time. . ..

Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:39 am 

Ryan
I am not sure if you got the chance to see them or even if you know about them but there are several old N&w Steam Locos in a scrap yard in Roanoke too.
These locos have been donated to the Virginia Museum of Transportation so there is the possibility that all will be out of the scrapyard in a few years. It is going to take a lot of work and funding too.
here are several links that are about the Lost Engines of Roanoke

http://lostengines.railfan.net/

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/lostengines/

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/TWVRPS/

Andrew Martin

Post subject: Clifton Forge Shops
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:41 pm 

Recent word has it there is some interest in saving these buildings, which are said to now be publicly owned. One of those interested often posts here, so I'd rather he described the situation as I've never been there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:30 pm 

Yeah, I know it’s a topic from 2005. I was in Covington today and so being a C&O fan, I had to stop by 701 to see how she's looking. To my surprise, she is not looking as bad as I was led to believe. She has both of her builder’s plates, her bell, no sight of the whistle, marker lights, all the pipes were there, the drivers and gear even had some grease on them and a few holes from rust on the tender. I wasn’t able to get into the cab, but from what I could see, most of everything is there. I will attach a few pictures.

Attachments:
IMG_2556b.jpg
IMG_2556b.jpg [ 169.5 KiB | Viewed 16034 times ]
File comment: One of about four rust holes on the engineer's side of the tender.
CF0819 047b.jpg
CF0819 047b.jpg [ 89.02 KiB | Viewed 16034 times ]
CF0819 036b.jpg
CF0819 036b.jpg [ 145.97 KiB | Viewed 16034 times ]

Yield not to misfortunes, but advance all the more boldly against them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:32 pm 

A few more.

Attachments:
IMG_2570b.jpg
IMG_2570b.jpg [ 228.09 KiB | Viewed 16030 times ]
IMG_2562b.jpg
IMG_2562b.jpg [ 131.19 KiB | Viewed 16030 times ]
IMG_2559b.jpg
IMG_2559b.jpg [ 289.87 KiB | Viewed 16030 times ]

Yield not to misfortunes, but advance all the more boldly against them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:02 pm 

One thing not mentioned so far is that this locomotive is the last genuine surviving engine from C&O predecessor Hocking Valley, and I believe may be the last surviving C&O 2-8-0 as well.

(Cue "Beautiful Dreamer")

Wouldn't it be cool if CSX had a change of heart to steam, and the branch to Hot Springs could be extended there again, to have this engine handle a connecting service from Ross Rowland's Greenbrier Express? That would be serving two hotels instead of one!

Hey, how come people go and wake me up just when I'm getting a good rest?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:14 am 

Sorry, but am I the only one who does not see disaster looming ahead for this good looking Consolidation? Rust forming everywhere. Holes in the tender. And no protection from the elements. This is good? What she needs is transfer to a museum somewhere who could restore her and maintain her. Failing that, at least a restoration in place and then adequate protection. Is there such a plan in her future? If not, I would hate to see what she is going to look like in 5 years. Or 10.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:15 pm 

Les Beckman wrote:
Sorry, but am I the only one who does not see disaster looming ahead for this good looking Consolidation? Rust forming everywhere. Holes in the tender. And no protection from the elements. This is good? What she needs is transfer to a museum somewhere who could restore her and maintain her. Failing that, at least a restoration in place and then adequate protection. Is there such a plan in her future? If not, I would hate to see what she is going to look like in 5 years. Or 10.

Les

One of the obvious solutions to the problem would be re-patriating it to the current Hocking Valley RR operation for either display or restoration to operating. However, I'm not really going to push that suggestion so I don't become subject to the "so where is your financial or physical contribution to making that happen?" criticism. Hopefully those good folks see this and decide for themselves if it's worth pursuing.