It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Surviving Lehigh Valley passenger equipment
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:07 pm 

In the thread below about equipment at Winslow Jct., NJ there is reference to there being a Lehigh Valley dining car there. Several posters say it is owned by the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society. Un fortunately their "equipment" page says it is under construction so I can't look there. Is anyone sure it is a LV diner? My understanding was there are only 4 surviving LV passenger cars:

RDC at Strasburg
    RDC on VIA (stored, possibly for sale?)
    Business car 353 at Steamtown (but privately owned)
    Lounge car "White Diamond" gutted and used for office space by Delaware Otsego, Cooperstown, NY.

The LV saw the handwriting on the wall early and bought almost no postwar equipment. Add the early exit from the passenger business (1961) and you get the rarity. I would be interested to know if this is a LV diner and of any other surviving LV passenger cars.

Post subject: Re: Surviving Lehigh Valley passenger equipment
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:41 pm 

I have 7 known surviving LV passenger cars:

http://www.frontiernet.net/~scottychaos/LVRRsurvivors_other.html

and I used to have a link for "more information" but the link is now dead!
it died when railroad.net went offline for awhile,
so sorry, I dont have more current info than what I have listed on the webpage..

Scot

Post subject: What about LV #352?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:03 am 

Scotty's list looks right to me, at least as far as what can be determined.

I have never confirmed the fate of LV 352, which went to the B&M. That remains on open quention for me.

I'd also leave open the possibility that there is a carbody or two waiting to be "discovered" in eastern PA or western NY.

Of all the anthracite roads, the LV and LNE gave up passenger service the earliest. The fact that 1 LNE business car and a handful of LV passenger/business cars remain is pretty neat.

Rob Davis

Post subject: Re: What about LV #352?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:32 am 

Based on Scotty's list, counting the RDC's as passenger cars, that gets you up to 9 (or 8 if the VIA RDC has become a parts source).

It appears that the LV cars at Winslow Jct. are coaches, not a diner. I am surprised to see that a LV Diner does exist in Georgia.

I guess you could almost field an authentic LV passenger train with what is left - oh, wait perhaps one anthracite passenger train recreation is enough :)

Post subject: Re: What about LV #352?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:59 am 

Tim,

Those are diners in Winslow. Came up for sale from CR MoW service in the mid-90's. Unfortunately, as noted below, the ARHS has put all it's equipment resources into the F units, so these languish.

Rob

Post subject: Anthracite Roads Historical Society ?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:32 pm 

Can anyone state the mission of the Anthracite Roads Historical Society ??? Is it to preserve, operate, collect, etc etc equipment or some other mission ?

On a side note, what is happening new at the Reading Historical Society and their equipment and hope to build a museum ???

Post subject: Re: Anthracite Roads Historical Society ?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:45 pm 

From our bylaws:
"The purposes of the Society are to foster and develop interest in the railroads which served the anthracite areas of Pennsylvania, including subsidiary companies and related parts of those railroads wherever they may be, to develop research into the history of these railroads and companies and of the anthracite region itself, and to publish literature and materials on the railroads and related companies that served this area.

The Society’s efforts are focused on six railroads: the Central Railroad of New Jersey; the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western; the Lehigh and Hudson River; the Lehigh and New England; the Lehigh Valley and the Reading.

To accomplish its objectives, the Society will, among other things:
1. solicit articles, photographs, and information from members and other sources;
2. publish articles, photographs and news in various print and electronic formats, including a journal
named “Flags, Diamonds and Statuesâ€

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:16 pm 

I remember being on a LV WWI vintage steel coach at the Kentucky Railroad Museum at their old site at the time they were moving to their new site. It reminded me of a DL&W Boonton coach with enclosed platforms, which were very shallow. It also had the standing rib roof seams. I also seem to remember a "shorty" business car with a rather odd smoothsiding job at the Indiana Raiway Museum in French Lick that was part of the Al Nippert "Gator" collection; I had been led to believe that it was also an ex LV car.

Steve Zuiderveen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:05 pm 

File under too little, too late but I think the car mentioned by SZ at French Lick was the home-built LV #352. It came up in a Facebook discussion today. Seems to have been scrapped a couple of years ago. I don't think this ever hit the anthracite preservation radar.

Rob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:13 am 

A few years ago, the Museum of Transport de-accessioned its ex-Lehigh Valley heavyweight coach, which the LV had sold to the Chicago & Eastern Illinois sometime in the World War 2 era as I recall. I don't know if MOT ever sold the car, or if they still retain possession of it.

Les