It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is Rail Classics still alive?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 1998 12:30 pm 

In an effort to provide a fairly accurate analysis of the rail magazine market today in my Baltimore Chapter NRHS newsletter column, I am forced to ask this question:<p>Is Rail Classics, the magazine that no railfan appears to read, still published?<p>As I recall, it was published by Challenge Publications of Canoga Park, California (which also brought us Railroad Modeler and Railway Quarterly). A recent comprehensive web search (multiple search engines in parallel) revealed a website for Challenge Publications, which did NOT list Rail Classics as one of their publications. <p>I recall seeing this magazine on the stands recently (within the past 6-12 months), but was not aware of it folding if it did. Not that I would consider it a great loss, but if a magazine that endured for 20-some years with little or no advertising folds about the same time as Rail News and Vintage rails, what does that say about the hobby or industry?<p>My thanks in advance for any correction or confirmation. Please e-mail direct to me.<p>Alexander D. Mitchell IV<br>LNER4472@gateway.net<br><br>

LNER4472@gateway.net

Post subject: Re: Is Rail Classics still alive?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 1998 1:51 pm 

<br>A couple of years ago I wondered if they were still alive too. I mailed in a subscription card from an old back issue. A month or more later I got a reply that Rail Classics was no longer available by subscription and to check my local newstands. I never looked for it though.<br>

winklerj@webtv.net

Post subject: Re: Is Rail Classics still alive?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 1998 7:06 am 

I contacted Challenge Publications at their customery inquiry e-mail address, and just received the following one-sentence response:<p>Rail Classics is no longer being published.<br>

eledbetter@rypn.org