It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Abandoned Shays in the Cascades
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 1998 4:04 am 

I recently heard rumors of a shay abandoned in the woods.In the early part of the century there were logging railroads running out of North Bonneville,WA,up into the Hamilton Creek area. Both these right-of-ways are found on maps,and my dad has seen old maps showing the logging railroads.<br>So the story goes, when operations ceased,there was no way to get a shay on the upper spurs back down due to a mechanical problem, so it was supposedly abandoned in the woods.<br>If anyonone out there knows anything about this shay,or if it even exists(the grades to it are now almost unrecognizable,i heard) I would love to hear anything more about it.<br><br>

amraam120c@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: Abandoned Shays in the Cascades
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 1998 6:11 am 

heck, if was a shay, it could climb its way off any mountain side, right!? <br> i hear the same rumor about clingman's dome in the great smoky mtns.; i keep asking for photos, but so far, it's like a bigfoot! we'll keep looking though! <br> <br>

jwrinn@charlotte.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 1998 7:27 am 

It wasn't a shay, but there was an abandoned locomotive shown on the Learning Channel (or was it the Discovery Channel) a week or two ago, during an episode of "Extreme Machines" that featured railroad subjects. They had a segment on the spiral tunnel in the Canadian Rockies, and while they were talking about the steep and dangerous grade that the tunnel replaced, they showed a recent shot of an old 2-8-0 or similar-sized engine lying on its side in the woods. Anybody else see the show or know anything about this engine? Of course, a lot of these shows just grab footage that looks good and illustrates their point, regardless of how authentic it is, so the engine they showed might not really be anywhere near the Canadian Rockies. But then it must be lying around somewhere - although it's probably too far gone for any kind of restoration.<br>

rjenkins@railfan.net

Post subject: Baldwin c/n 7717
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 1998 6:37 pm 

>>They had a segment on the spiral tunnel in the Canadian Rockies, and while they were talking about the steep and dangerous grade that the tunnel replaced, they showed a recent shot of an old 2-8-0 or similar-sized engine lying on its side in the woods. Anybody else see the show or know anything about this engine?<p>Sounds like old #6 in Yoho forest in Canada. It is a 36" gauge 2-6-0 built by Baldwin. c/n 7717 in Nov. 1885. It was used in the spiral tunnel construction.<p>Abandoned in the woods on Field Hill, Yoho Mine spur in Sept. 1909. It can be see from hiking trail.<br> <br>>>although it's probably too far gone for any kind of restoration.<p>A year ago I'd agree with you but since I've started restoring a Shay that hasn't ran since 1926 and has been abandoned, partially scrapped, & sat in a stream, I've came to the conclusion that any steam loco or artifact for that matter can be brought back to life all in good time (and with some serious welding!)<p>Scott Wickert<br>Shay #23 "The Rebirth" <br>

Post subject: how's that 23 coming?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 1998 1:06 am 

are you making progress, scott?<br>

jwrinn@charlotte.com

Post subject: Re: how's that 23 coming?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 1998 5:43 pm 

The restoration is coming along at a steady pace. I located more parts to the engine buried in the stream bed in which the partially scrapping took place in 1942. So this is more than just a restoration, its like digging for dinosaur bones. All the floods over the years buried anything that was left. This will make one heck of a book when it's restored!<p>Scott Wickert<br>Shay #23 "The Rebirth"<br><br>

Post subject: Re: how's that 23 coming?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 1998 3:00 am 

Scott:<p>What's the background on this project? How did you find the engine? Is there a website with more information?<p>I'd be really interested to learn more about your Shay.<p>Thanks in Advance,<br>Hugh Odom

The Ultimate Steam Page
whodom@awod.com

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:52 am 

Do you know if any group , state or other ,
Has claimed owner ship the 36"gauge the 2-6-0 baldwin or does everyone know if it is still just abandoned ?

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:35 am 

Tom,

The last of a string of loggers that ran up Hamilton Creek was the Columbia River Tbr. Co. They burned out in 1929 and everything in the Basin sat for about ten years. In the late 30s a scrapper punch a road in from the Snag Creek side and took everything out that way.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:46 am 

See here for some photos of the 2-6-0 near Field, BC.

http://www.bigdoer.com/3926/exploring-h ... hill-1992/

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:36 am 

Jvtrains wrote:
Has claimed owner ship the 36"gauge the 2-6-0 baldwin or does everyone know if it is still just abandoned ?

Are you talking about the one at the Spiral Tunnel construction site? It's in Yoho National Park, for heaven's sake. It's likely listed as a Canadian Heritage property, or whatever the term is they use up there. IIRC, it's mentioned in the visitor's guide to the park.

Why is it that people think that just because something is just sitting, it's abandoned and free for the taking? Ever think maybe the property owner WANTS it there?

A quick google would have turned up this:
http://www.bigdoer.com/3926/exploring-history/abandoned-locomotive-cprs-big-hill-1992/

Not hardly like it's lost.

On EDIT: John beat me to it!

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:54 pm 

Regarding lost Shays, this one is close enough to the subject line to mention. The late Jim Gertz of Port Angeles and a Rayonier Inc. railroad employee, told me that back in the 60's, he discovered that he actually was standing on top of a Shay out in the deep woods that was nearly completely covered by growth and slash.

I wish that I had written down the particulars, but the location was out near Ozette on the Olympic Peninsula and the builders number was at or around 3000. Jim said that he and his friends wrote down their location as best they could, but when he returned some years later, he was unable to find it again.

Jim and i knew each other for years and I have no reason to doubt his account.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:03 pm 

As John and Dennis have said the 36" gauge 2-6-0 is most definitely an artifact of Yoho National Park. The wreck can be seen on a popular trail which crosses the CPR main between the spiral tunnels, and also shows the remains of the original CPR telegraph line. As such the wreck plays a role in interpreting the railway history of the region, there were a lot of people on the trail and viewing the remains the last time I was up there. It can also be seen in the excellent Imax movie "Rocky Mountain Express", although they incorrectly imply that it is a CPR engine in that.
There are also legends of a long abandoned Abernathy Lougheed Co. Heisler near Stave Lake in BC's lower mainland, much like the Sasquach there have been no reputable sightings, but if true would (I think) be the only surviving Heisler in Canada.

Pat

Correction: I guess I shouldn't really be calling it a wreck, its more of an abandonment.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:01 pm 

Jvtrains wrote:

So, 19 years later someone is asking about these locos? The last post before this was in 1998, for crying out loud! Surely the book is closed on this topic!

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:49 pm 

Tom , ready for a Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder now ?