It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: B&O 3303-Royal Blue/Columbian Observation Car
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:06 pm 

Recently I was introduced to Tom Cunningham, the owner of the B&O 3303 (nee 3300), in Hyndman, PA. He has told me that he would like to see it get a good home. Tom is elderly and frail. He has turned the car over to his two daughters to deal with, and I am trying to make contact with them. I would like to "foster" some effort to save the car. I am not interested in profiting from this in any way, I'm only interested it trying to improve the fate of the car. My first thought is "What museum would take it?" My second thought is "Would some private car owner be interested?" With its mostly-open interior, its something of a “clean slate” upon which a new interior could be created. I am looking for assistance and suggestions? Is there someone out there who brokers these things?As to the car, it is rough, but solid. I took some pictures about a month ago. If you contact me off line I will send a “portfolio” in .pdf format. The "fixtures" that Tom has supposedly saved are the ceiling lights and globes. The quarter-circle bar was gone when Tom acquired it, and I assume the seats were too. The lavatory fixtures have been removed, as has most of the electrical gear. B&O 3300 (later 3303) is a square-ended buffet lounge rebuilt from heavyweight coach #5325 for the streamlined heavyweight edition of the ROYAL BLUE, introduced on April 25, 1937. This was the Otto Kuhler-styled train pulled by streamlined P-7 5301, that introduced the modern capitol dome logo. On September 25, 1937, the ROYAL BLUE equipment including the observation car was transferred to the COLUMBIAN, also running between DC and Jersey City. In 1941 3300 was (rebuilt and?) renumbered 3303 for service on the new all-coach overnight train, also named the COLUMBIAN, which began running from Jersey City to Chicago on December 19, 1941. At that time a room for the Stewardess was added, and the observation car only operated between DC and Chicago. The 3303 held this assignment until new lightweight equipment, built by Pullman for the postwar COLUMBIAN, was placed in service on May 15, 1949.Any thoughts or assistance would be gratefully appreciated. I will be at the PRRT&HS meeting this weekend (look for the 1950 pickup truck).

Post subject: Re: B&O 3303-Royal Blue/Columbian Observation Car
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:58 pm 

Is the car currently on live track and is it rail transportable (roller bearings and COTS)? Any current pictures would be appreciated.Herb Sakalaucks

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:56 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
The car in question is located JUST off the former B&O main line between Cumberland, Md. and Connellsville, Pa. right at the curve in downtown Hyndman where the notorious Sand Patch Grade begins to kick in westbound. It's perhaps 400-500 feet from what could be a switch to the "siding" this car sits on. Eastern fans have been photographing this car from the Capitol Limited for decades now.One could certainly get this car to live track with little problem--a couple hunks of panel track or a temporary spur. The problem, as I recall, is that CSX would likely refuse to handle the car's current(?) trucks, and a complete rebuild and rip-down would be necessary even for a short jaunt to Cumberland (why do you think this car isn't in first-class service on the WMSR already?).Before everyone lobbies the B&O Museum to acquire this car, may I note that they already possess at least two B&O obs cars, including sister car 3302 in much better operable condition (having been donated to the Museum in 1993 or so fresh from PV/charter service). The "B&O grapevine" also has alleged that, over the years, some kind of tiff between the 3303's owner and the B&O Museum developed--that for whatever reason the B&O Museum would not be on the list for potential preservation of this car. Perhaps Brother Briers (hi, Ken!) can ask for the true story of the owner so we can stop passing on rumors. As I recall, a more interesting target for B&O Museum "rescue" would be a former B&O dome car that might still be in Brunswick, Md. rotting away.Now, in theory, an interesting approach would be to make a case for the 3303 to be acquired and targeted for restoration to more original condition and static display, and thus make the 3302 (which has had many, many modifications made to it by the Baltimore Chapter NRHS and Railroad Passenger Cars, Inc. from 1968 to 1992 to make it more suited to operation) available for sale or trade......... perhaps to a PV operator that would save and stabilize the 3303 and undertake partial restoration in trade for a more modern and roadworthy 3302?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:07 am 

Quote:
As I recall, a more interesting target for B&O Museum "rescue" would be a former B&O dome car that might still be in Brunswick, Md. rotting away.
Sandy,The dome car went to Illinois Transit Assy Corp in Madison Il several years ago; as it was too much for the B&O Museum to handle, and CSX was becoming very concerned about its health hazard as a pigeon roost and asbestos mine.(Also, every step inside the car was a potential hangman's drop!)Steve Zuiderveen

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:18 am 

As I understand, this car is now at the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis. Can anyone here provide an update as to what the plan for this car is? As others have said, a restoration would be remanufacturing - but it is not impossible especially considering some recent restorations of interurbans or the 20th C. Ltd. Obs owned by the URHS http://trainweb.org/web_lurker/BO/Tom Cornillie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:15 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Update: Mr. Cunningham passed away in 2011: http://www.times-news.com/obituaries/x6 ... Jr-Hyndman

The car has been scrapped: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... ?2,3467998

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:33 am 

I saw the car when riding the Capitol in late May. I promoted preservation of 3303 about 10 years ago when I was on the task force for the collection in the City of Gaithersburg (MD). Unfortunately the City was well down the road with the RDC acquisition and the timing was all wrong to reconsider.

Wesley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:22 pm 

This car was never at the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis County. The one that is there is one of the low level dome cars.