It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ex C&NW E-unit MRAX 513 update & question
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:24 pm 

Copied from another discussion board:MRAX 513 (formerly KLSC 95 - stored at Horicon, WI) is now owned by Ed Bowers. He was having it moved from Chicago to a site owned by Indiana Boxcar. UP somehow messed up the move and took it the opposite direction. As a result of this, it eventually it ended up at the Arkansas RR Museum on 1 Aug 05.The unit is almost completely stripped out inside with the exception of the cab. They even made off with the fans on the roof.Arkansas RR Museum is tennatively planning to do a cosmetic restoration and paint it for Frisco. The are also planning to install a floor in the engine room and use it for storage.I think we may have been down this road before, but I'm still not convinced that this is former Metra/RTA/CNW 518 - CNW 5030A, as many sources list. CNW 5030A was involved in a wreck in 1956 and sent to EMD for repairs. When 5030A emerged from EMD, it had a new cab and large snowplow pilot (like SP & GN was using at the time, but unique on CNW). I know as 518, it retained this pilot to the end of it's Metra career. The 513 (both MRAX and CNW) had a standard pilot and I doubt anyone after Metra would have bothered to change it on the MRAX unit. So is MRAX 513 really the former Metra 518? Or perhaps Metra 513 would make more sense?

Post subject: Re: Ex C&NW E-unit MRAX 513 update & question
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:46 pm 

This was answered by on the WSOR Yahoo list:
Quote:
I too distinctly remember the unusual plow pilot on the 518.Some years ago in R&R Jim Boyd had a small column about it also, andthat unit always seemed to be at Williams Bay. Back then the CNWwould turn one scoot around during the winter, so a unit would leadin the morning, in case of a heavy overnight snow. I always thoughtthat was the reason for the plow.As I further jog my memory, I recall the 518 had no portholes at theend of it's RTA days, while the 513 had most/all of its original 8.IIRC at least one on the fireman's side of 513 was simply a piece ofplexiglas screwed on.When I saw the unit at Horicon a couple years ago, it definately hadportholes, so I'd guess it is/was the 513. Growing up in Wakegan leftme with a fondness for the commuter E's.Hope this helps.Charles HeraverGUrnee IL
Quote:
Andy, I believe you are correct. As of April 2005, at least, METX518 appears to be at NRE in Silvis, IL. Still with the unusual (fora C&NW unit) snowplow, and one remaining porthole on the right rear.Here is a link to one of several photos from rrpicturearchives.net:http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=148063METX/former C&NW 515, 516, and 521 are also there.The 513, buy the way, was missing the first porthole on each sidewhen it was in C&NW and RTA service. It was not repainted into theMetra Scheme. KLSC 95, which seems to have become MRAX 513, appearsto the former RTA/C&NW 513.Mark Ratzer
Regards,Erich Russ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:57 pm 

Thanks Erich.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:44 am 

This info brings about another question. I have C&NW/METRA 513 listed as one of the E-units that Clint Jones owns that is (at least last I heard) going out to South Dakota. Anyone know which E-units Clint actually has? Or are the units in Silvis possibly Clint's, and are just stored there?

Post subject: Answer to my own question
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:39 pm 

Found the following answer to my own question in a Google search:BNSF has agreed to move four locomotives (MRAX 515, MRAX 516, MRAX 518, MRAX 521) from the Riverport Railroad at Robinson Spur (Savanna) IL to the IMRL at Silvis Jct. (Quad Cities) IL, a distance of 65 miles. These locomotives are ultimately destined to Deadwood SD to power trains that will deliver visitors to a new destination resort (The Dunbar) being constructed by a private developer in conjunction with the State of South Dakota. We have been told that the units meet FRA standards for safety appliances, wheels, etc., are roller bearing equipped, have fully operative air brakes, 24-RL schedule, are dead, drained, inoperable, batteries removed, are all equipped with coupler stop blocks, will be UMLER registered and AEI equipped prior to movement, should move "dead in train" as they are not equipped with "J" relay valves, & are equipped with composition shoes. These units should be moved one at a time, no more than one per consist, at the normal revenue locomotive tariff, and must be inspected prior to movement to verify all of the above. We should take no responsibility for flattening of any wheels due to airbrake set up issues on this trip. The contact for this is Mr. Clint Jones Jr., President, Mineral Range Inc., P.O. Box 577, Hancock MI 49930, 906-360-6849.

Post subject: Ex C&NW E-unit MRAX 513 update
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:32 am 

A photo of her at her new home:http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=116770and one of her on the way there:http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=81824

Post subject: Re: Ex C&NW E-unit MRAX 513 update
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:51 pm 

Some time back, this unit was to be scrapped and was saved by sale to Mineral Range Inc. At that time, there was discussion of parts of this unit going to St. Louis to restore another E-unit. Anyone know if they ever found another source of parts?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:39 am 

Is it going to be repainted as a CNW engine?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:51 am 

Nope, they're going to paint her as an MKT unit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:57 pm 

Was doing some research on ex-KLSC 95, and came across this thread from 10 years ago. Did the Arkansas Railroad Museum ever paint this unit? Seems there haven't been any photos of it in 10 years.