All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smoky Mountain 206
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:10 am 

Looking pretty wild in Chattanooga, no date:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=149641

Post subject: Re: Smoky Mountain 206
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:26 am 

Bob:

This is one of the wierder renumberings of a locomotive in the "tourist train" era. The famous song "Chattanooga Choo-Choo" mentions the train leaving from Chattanooga Station on Track 29. So the LOCOMOTIVE was renumbered 29! So not only is she painted in these ugly colors, but her number is goofy too!

The 2-6-0 was originally built for the Genessee & Wyoming Railroad as their #9 and later carried the #8 when she worked for the Brooklyn Cooperage Company in Sumter, South Carolina. BTW, I think I remember hearing that the Chattanooga Choo-Choo complex there in Chattanooga had gone under and is now closed. Anyone know if that is true or not?

Les

Post subject: Re: Chattanooga Choo Choo complex
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:56 pm 

CCC is alive and....well it's alive. Maybe not as polished as the "glory years" when the complex was reportedly the #1 tourist destination in Tennessee in the 1970's, but still nice to visit. The property includes hotels, restaurants, many shops, plenty of banquet and meeting facilities, etc. and the ex-New Orleans streetcar which makes a "U-shaped" loop on the grounds. The hotel has been a Holiday Inn for over ten years, but was independent for a while and began life in the Hilton family of hotels.

See more here: http://www.choochoo.com

Last edited by Steve Freer on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Chattanooga Choo Choo complex
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:07 pm 

Steve:

Thanks for the info.

Les

Post subject: Re: SM 206
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:47 pm 

Good info here:
http://www.taplines.net/November/smry.htm

Post subject: Re: Chattanooga Terminal Station / Chattanooga Choo Choo
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:28 pm 

BTW: With the "passenger car hotel rooms" lined up on the station tracks along original platforms with butterfly covers, if you visit a little after dusk, squint and use your imagination, you might just think you've stepped back into the 1950's! (Although the coaches have no locomotives attached and each one has the familiar hum of a residential HVAC unit buzzing underneath.) Like I said, use your imagination! Just stopping to see the terminal dome and associated brick arches is a treat. At least Terminal Station didn't succumb to "progress" as Union Station did, and around the same time as the Chattanooga Choo Choo was undergoing a resurgence, nonetheless.

Post subject: Re: SM 206
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:43 pm 

Steve:

Thanks. Interesting website, and interesting story on the Smoky Mountain Railroad.

Les

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:18 pm 

for any of you interested that 2-6-0 that they have all dolled up and on display started as the Brooklyn Cooperage Co #5 in 1918.

the locomotive did not get to Tennessee until the Smokey Mountain Railway got her in 1938. Was that a tourist line?

The locomotive was at Silver Dollar City in the 1960s and arrived at the hotel about 1975. Anybody know a better date?

Ted Miles

Post subject: Re: Smoky Mountains Railroad steam locos
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:41 am 

I believe the "Choo Choo" opened in 1973....and 206 had arrived and was completely jazzed.

Smoky Mountain Railroad actually folded before it could become a tourist line. It would be BUSY today had it survived! It's fortunate that three of "Smoky Mountain Railroad's" steamers scammed the scrappers. #107, which was originally East Tennessee, Virginia & Georgia, is still on display near the entrance to Dollywood in Pigeon Forge. #110 is famous as the world's smallest Pacific and is in operational condition in Michigan. #206 is "world famous" Chattanooga Choo Choo #29. Famous for what? Being named after a fictional, gold-record-winning song? Hmm. Sure do wish Dolly would send #107 to Chattanooga. After all, it wouldn't fit on her railroad (wrong gauge) and it most likely operated over the current TVRM roadbed! (Original ETV&G right-of-way from 1858...an in use before the transcontinental railroad was completed.)

BTW: According to the previously linked website, #206's third stop was at Brooklyn Cooperage as their #16 in 1919.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:05 am 

Steve Freer wrote:
BTW: With the "passenger car hotel rooms" lined up on the station tracks along original platforms with butterfly covers, if you visit a little after dusk, squint and use your imagination, you might just think you've stepped back into the 1950's!

Post subject: Re:ETV&G 419/Southern 107 at Dollywood
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:36 am 

For several years I have made proposals to Knoxville area museums and towns to acquire this locomotive for display,everyone to reply to me has declined interest.Even North Carolina Transportation museum was not interested.Here is sister engine ETV&G 434,wonder what color the boiler jacket was?http://southern.railfan.net/ties/1964/64-10/family2.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:58 am 

Johnny:

It IS amazing that no one has "rescued" Southern 2-8-0 # 107. Since she is only used as a display outside of Dollywood to attract customers, it would seem that an offer of another locomotive to substitute would be favorably received. Perhaps an offer to "sweeten the pot" a bit might help, such as agreeing to paint the new locomotive on display for a certain number of years. What say you Southern fans out there?

Les

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:41 pm 

I once read somewhere that Dollywood wants to use 107's tender to use behind the narrow gauge 2-8-2 they have that has never been restored.If Dollywood would consider leaving 107 sitting without a tender than maybe they would settle for a trade of a tank engine and caboose.Speaking of trades I wish TVRM had traded the L&A 4-6-0 now in Cookville,TN for the Clinchfield 4-6-0 disguised as Casy Jones' engine in Jackson,TN.

Post subject: Re: CRR/L&A Ten-Wheelers
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:03 pm 

Johnny:

Yeah, that might have made some sense, although I guess that I didn't realize that the L&A 4-6-0 # 509 had even gone to Cookville. Was this a straight sale? Trade for? Or what?

The locomotive at the Casey Jones Museum in Jackson, Tennessee is Clinchfield # 99, later Black Mountain Railway # 3. This engine has real North Carolina ties and would have been apropos for the museum in Spencer.

I believe that there were two Casey Jones sites, and one of them has supposedly gone "belly up." Is it the one in Jackson or......?

Incidentally, the 509 was a J. David engine at one time.

Les

Post subject: Re: CRR/L&A Ten-Wheelers
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:34 pm 

I am not connected with TVRM but pretty sure it was a straight sale of #99 to the city of Cookeville.A few months ago I read in a farmer's insurance magazine that the Jackson Casy Jones attraction where #99 resides is about the 10th most popular tourist destination in Tenn. and recently had a multi-million dollar renovation of the site.This place is just off of I-40,I think the museum that went belly up is a depot museum near the auctual wreck location.