It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Colonie Survivors
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:25 am 

Some may be interested in these shots posted on NERail this evening of some equipment that survives at the site of the former D&H shops in Colonie, New York.

http://photos.nerail.org/show/?order=by ... y=pa021104

-Justin Franz

Post subject: Re: Colonie Survivors
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:18 am 

If you think this is depressing, take a ride down to where the
NYC electric is. Far more important artifact and even less likely
to be 'saved'.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:44 pm 

Murphy's law #713 says that all old rail equipment will be in a place where it cannot be saved. It goes on to say that the yard will be nowhere that there is a group interested in saving it and that groups that are interested in a yard will be land locked and poor.

Ain't it always the way!?

Later!
Mr. Ed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:10 pm 

For those who might wonder, #417 is an ex-LIRR S1. Story is the block is cracked and the owner abandoned it. I have no confirmation one way or another on this story. What is really critical, beside the several ALCO RS units, is the former LIRR nee' Western Maryland FA2. This needs to be pulled out of there and placed under cover asap. SUpposedly, CPR has declined to connect the storage tracks with these locos back to the main. Serious issues are at stake here.
I have not seen the locos myself, but if history runs true, no doubt the cabs are being used for smoking dope and localized latrines.

#1) Does anyone claim ownership of any of these locomotives?
#2) What plans are in motion to retrieve them before a developer demands them off the property or forfeiture for scrap?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:12 pm 

In regard to Richard's comment about locomotive cabs "being used for smoking dope and as localized latrines: I'm still looking for better homes for my equipment, (which is in the RYPN Classifieds). A check of one of the units the other day found evidence of a homeless person living in the cab; clothing, a shaver and copies of the individual's resume, complete with the person's name. The police were notified, of course, as this is at the very minimum a matter of trespassing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:15 pm 

Onder wrote:
If you think this is depressing, take a ride down to where the
NYC electric is. Far more important artifact and even less likely
to be 'saved'.

Does anyone have any recent photos of the NYC electrics owned by the Mohawk & Hudson Chapter? I have been unable to find any recent pictures of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:07 pm 

Frank,

Here is a link in an earlier post. I think there is a photo of the smaller "Lionel" engine somewhere back in the RyPN archives.

http://rypn.sunserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20734&highlight=nyc

Wesley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:57 pm 

I recall seeing this photo, and also one or two others taken of these locomotives about 20-25 years ago. Unfortunately I don't believe I've ever seen a photo of either 100 or 278 taken since about 1985, so I have no idea what they look like nowadays.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:39 am 

Happened to do a little snooping around on the site that had the 1980's-era image of the NYC electric and found this view taken last year. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=297720 Obviously the foliage has grown allot since that first shot was taken.

I had no idea that those electric where there (when where they retired, late 60's - early 70's?). Amazing that one is still sitting there in 2006.

-Justin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:50 am 

Most, if not all of this equipment belongs to the Mohawk & Hudson Chapter, NRHS, acquired when the group was younger and had more enthusiasm. Left as-is, it will eventually be scrapped. I believe the Reigel rail contractors (who operate the Upper Hudson Scenic RR) got a coach or two out of here a few years ago, but I don't know if a switch is still installed (been several years since I was down there).

I've tried to get some interest going in turning the Rouses Point roundhouse (last D&H roundhouse) into a museum, with little response. It would be a good home for some of the D&H equipment. The roundhouse is in relatively good shape, used only for minor storage, but there has to be local interest in saving it, which so far is negligible.

http://www.crisny.org/not-for-profit/ra ... .htm#DH_tt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:24 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
For those who might wonder, #417 is an ex-LIRR S1. Story is the block is cracked and the owner abandoned it. I have no confirmation one way or another on this story. What is really critical, beside the several ALCO RS units, is the former LIRR nee' Western Maryland FA2. This needs to be pulled out of there and placed under cover asap. SUpposedly, CPR has declined to connect the storage tracks with these locos back to the main. Serious issues are at stake here.
I have not seen the locos myself, but if history runs true, no doubt the cabs are being used for smoking dope and localized latrines.

#1) Does anyone claim ownership of any of these locomotives?
#2) What plans are in motion to retrieve them before a developer demands them off the property or forfeiture for scrap?

Plans are underway to pull the FA-2 out of there soon. More details later as the plans are in early stages.
The 417 is in bad shape and is indeed abandoned.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:29 pm 

As I recall, the Albany Port RR units (the 417 and the red RS-3, ex-D&H) are owned by the same person. Recent photos show both locos looking rather grim.

This (the Colonie stuff and the Power Plant stuff) is a very sad situation.

HP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:55 pm 

Unless things have changed, I was under the impression that the City Of Albany own the two red(Albany Port) locomotives.

Post subject: Prospector diners in Albany
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:41 am 

Some years ago, I recall hearing that the 2 ex-Metro North, ex-D&H, Ex-D&RGW PS 1950 built "Prospector" center-kitchen diners were also stored at a power plant in the Albany area. These would be cars that had evidently escaped the big fire below Grand Central years ago that destroyed most of the ex-D&H equipment that had been sold to Metro North. Anyone know if these cars are still around and in fact stored in Albany some where? I don't believe they were owned by Mohawk and Hudson Chapter, but were privately owned, perhaps by a member.

Post subject: Re: Prospector diners in Albany
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:19 am 

They are still there. I am not sure who owns them as I understand there is a dispute on the ownership.