It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maine Narrow Gauge
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2001 1:13 pm 

The reference to the vandalism in Portland got me to thinking. Most of that equipment is ex Edaville which is ex Bridgton and Saco Ry.

I have been to Portland, but not Bridgton. What is the state of the right of way around there? Both the WW&F and Sandy River lines have spawned museums on original right of way. Might is still be possible to do the same in Bridgton?

A population base is important for a sucessful museum, but with it comes the weird ones too. I really hope that the Rangeley parlor car was still inside, as it was the last time I saw it a couple of years ago.

It seems clear that car barns are really going to be the only way to preserve rail cars of any size or gauge.

ted_miles@NPS.gov

Post subject: Re: Maine Narrow Gauge
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 12:48 am 

Hi Ted,

When last I was there, most of the Bridgton right of way between Sandy Creek and Perleys Mills was driveable, although you wouldn't want to take a car over the snow mobile bridges. North of Sandy Creek was overgrown but intact (except for the former Bridgton dump property) as far north as Willett Rd. Above that, to Bridgton yard proper and the school, the ROW is now a road.

One spot a couple hundred yards below Perleys had been dug for gravel and a quarter mile stretch beyond that was followable on foot when there are no leaves on the trees. South of that, the ROW was again clear until the road crossing just above the downgrade to the shore of Hancock Pond. The ROW long the pond was visible but there are encroachments. South of that, the ROW was driveable up the grade to "the Notch" and from there pretty much all the way down to double road crossings at Rankins Mills. South of Rankins to the Junction was mostly walkable. The Hancock Brook stone masonary arch was still there and in good shape.

> I really hope that the
> Rangeley parlor car was still inside, as it
> was the last time I saw it a couple of years
> ago.

It is.

Best Regards,
Glenn

christenseng@altavista.com

Post subject: Re: Maine Narrow Gauge
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 2:07 pm 

The B&SR/B&H always seemed the most likely Maine ng line for rebuild to me, providing clear right-of-way could be obtained. Given the anti-rail leanings of adjacent property owners today (which were present even when the RR was abandoned in the 1940s), that could be difficult, but the other Maine groups have done ok.

Much of the Bridgton equipment still exists, something the other groups really can't claim, and the buildings were simple wood frame, such as a vocational carpentry class might reconstruct. To date, however, I've not heard of any plan to rebuild this RR. Has anyone else?

Ted,

> When last I was there, most of the Bridgton
> right of way between Sandy Creek and Perleys
> Mills was driveable, although you wouldn't
> want to take a car over the snow mobile
> bridges. North of Sandy Creek was overgrown
> but intact (except for the former Bridgton
> dump property) as far north as Willett Rd.
> Above that, to Bridgton yard proper and the
> school, the ROW is now a road.

> One spot a couple hundred yards below
> Perleys had been dug for gravel and a
> quarter mile stretch beyond that was
> followable on foot when there are no leaves
> on the trees. South of that, the ROW was
> again clear until the road crossing just
> above the downgrade to the shore of Hancock
> Pond. The ROW long the pond was visible but
> there are encroachments. South of that, the
> ROW was driveable up the grade to "the